2019/2020 Kits

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

sashor wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 19:42 The breif was to celabrate the anniversary, with AIK chosen as the inspiration.

i could show pages of design alternates, but nothing was as strong as the 1899.
Now who is this!! Whoever you are, the overriding view still favourable towards the kits ;-)

I think people forget we won't have our own exclusive deal with Nike as we don't have megastores around the world yet...
sashor
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: rodney jack

Post by sashor »

I designed the kits
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Ffs, stop this right now !
I couldn't give a rats ass whether or not we've got a sponsor - picture- phone number or what ever emblazoned across the front of the shirt.
It's a football shirt, and a very smart one indeed, not fussy at all, classic design, one of the best we've had in years & that includes all 4 shirts imo.
Sashor, I say well done my friend it's excellent, give yourself a pat on the back from me.
Compared to some of the crap we've had in the past this design is head & shoulders above them & if it wasn't commercially viable do you honestly think GE would've entertained such a project when we have no parachute monies or tv money etc etc ?
The club has to generate it's own income streams & by being different they've probably given themselves the best chance.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Teigngull wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 00:12 Ffs, stop this right now !
Once again, Teigngull - and to the surprise of basically nobody, I'm sure - you appear to have completely missed the point.

It's not about how good the shirts look.

They look great - sashor did a great job - and if they've got some inspiration from elsewhere, that's fine by me. We're not in a position to have Nike design us bespoke kits.

The problem I have is that they - by which I mean Pro:)irect and TUFC - made a big fuss about a limited edition anniversary shirt, which they sold at a 33% premium, which then turns out to be a: apparently not that limited, and b: very similar to the 3 other shirts released last week.

If the club had said "Here's a shirt that's going to look basically the same as 3 more shirts we're going to try to sell you but the team won't ever actually wear it", I for one, would have not bought it; while still being very happy to buy all 3 actual match shirts.

I don't have a problem with the club trying to improve their commercial efforts; goodness knows we've had a pretty shoddy commercial side for most of our existence. I guess I was maybe being too idealistic in hoping that they didn't go the route of every money-grabbing club out there and take advantage. It's a very thin line, I know, but this seems like little more than a cash grab.

(I also have issues with the fact that Pro:)irect are still charging VAT on products they don't need to - presumably simply to increase the profit margin - but I accept that's probably something only I give a toss about :) )
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

sashor wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 22:41 I designed the kits
You did a great job. The dark blue one looked amazing from the Bideford photos and the kits have received a lot of compliments from other club's fan as well.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Well there we have it.
George Edwards explains the decision not to go for a shirt sponsor this year as a conscious business decision to put the TORQUAY UNITED brand out there globally in partnership with Pro-Direct.
I say good on you guys proactive business acumen at last not as we're used to here in little old South Devon where reactive was at least 10 years behind as a rule.
And in reality what was a shirt sponsor really worth per season ? I wouldn't have thought the likes of skate 420 or sparkworld or even any of our last sponsors were even chucking tens of thousands of pounds at the 'privilege '.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Teigngull wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 19:04 Well there we have it.
George Edwards explains the decision not to go for a shirt sponsor this year as a conscious business decision to put the TORQUAY UNITED brand out there globally in partnership with Pro-Direct.
[...]
And in reality what was a shirt sponsor really worth per season ? I wouldn't have thought the likes of skate 420 or sparkworld or even any of our last sponsors were even chucking tens of thousands of pounds at the 'privilege '.
It's probably not a bad idea, but I'm not really sure what purpose getting TUFC's name "out there globally" will ultimately serve. We can barely get the people in Torquay interested by the team, so trying to cast a wider net seems optimistic.

Still, if there's some bored oligarch with £500m to spend on building a team from nothing, I'd probably be ok with it. So it probably won't do any harm.

To your point, though, I don't expect we were ever getting much in the way of actual money from our shirt sponsors in the past few years.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

sashor wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 22:41 I designed the kits
All 4 kits are amazing by far the best we have had in a long time perhaps ever. The black shirt is the first I have purchased since I was a child and I also love the white away shirt.

Loving the branding coming out of the club at the moment but have to agree the price tag of the anniversary shirt for the quality was disappointing.

The promotion coming from the club is hopefully a sign of future ambition.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

For the first time since the Westward shirt I am going to buy a TUFC shirt. The design is excellent. Building the TUFC Brand is exactly what the club should be doing so well done to them. After years of amateur to incompetence (Phillips and Baker) it's refreshing to have a professional in charge. I'm looking forward to seeing what other initiatives they introduce.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Far bigger clubs than us have struggled to market their brand globally,and it would take a lot more effort than just promoting an attractive shirt design on-line.
I'm sure a few will be purchased by our exiles abroad,but beyond that I'd be very surprised if many are sold globally;or as a result of Pro-direct's marketing we create an new overseas fan-base.
Perhaps we need some more explanation from George Edwards as to what the club's realistic goals are in this respect .
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

torregull wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 08:56 Far bigger clubs than us have struggled to market their brand globally,and it would take a lot more effort than just promoting an attractive shirt design on-line.
I'm sure a few will be purchased by our exiles abroad,but beyond that I'd be very surprised if many are sold globally;or as a result of Pro-direct's marketing we create an new overseas fan-base.
[highlight=yellow]Perhaps we need some more explanation from George Edwards as to what the club's realistic goals are in this respect .[/highlight]
Why? I am not sure the club need to brief fans or do I think fans 'deserve' to know aspects such as this! The club will measure income from this year against previous ones and will then see if it was the correct approach and fair play to them from going against the grain and looking proactively at things.

From fans point of view all we really need to consider is if you like the shirt/s and if you are happy to pay £45 to obtain one then do so. If not then don't!

Personally I will be buying the blue one and I think all the kits (with the badge being used on the them) look great so I am pleased with the approach and congratulate the designer of them.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

happytorq wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 15:12 Once again, Teigngull - and to the surprise of basically nobody, I'm sure - you appear to have completely missed the point.

It's not about how good the shirts look.

They look great - sashor did a great job - and if they've got some inspiration from elsewhere, that's fine by me. We're not in a position to have Nike design us bespoke kits.

The problem I have is that they - by which I mean Pro:)irect and TUFC - made a big fuss about a limited edition anniversary shirt, which they sold at a 33% premium, which then turns out to be a: apparently not that limited, and b: very similar to the 3 other shirts released last week.

If the club had said "Here's a shirt that's going to look basically the same as 3 more shirts we're going to try to sell you but the team won't ever actually wear it", I for one, would have not bought it; while still being very happy to buy all 3 actual match shirts.

I don't have a problem with the club trying to improve their commercial efforts; goodness knows we've had a pretty shoddy commercial side for most of our existence. I guess I was maybe being too idealistic in hoping that they didn't go the route of every money-grabbing club out there and take advantage. It's a very thin line, I know, but this seems like little more than a cash grab.

(I also have issues with the fact that Pro:)irect are still charging VAT on products they don't need to - presumably simply to increase the profit margin - but I accept that's probably something only I give a toss about :) )
Spot on
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think the gloabal reach idea has come off the back of the Netflix film, that seems to have generated a lot of interest overseas from people who had never heard of the club before. If a few of them buy some merch and spread the name of our little club further then that's great.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

PhilGull wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 10:39 I think the gloabal reach idea has come off the back of the Netflix film, that seems to have generated a lot of interest overseas from people who had never heard of the club before. If a few of them buy some merch and spread the name of our little club further then that's great.
Aim for the stars and hit the moon.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 16:13
Aim for the stars and hit the moon.
I'd be satisfied if we could hit Paignton.