Cheltenham announce retained list

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Cheltenham announce retained list

Post by haz316 »

Cheltenham retained list announced
Buckygull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Buckygull »

Any more insight into that? Or just it’s out there now
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

haz316 wrote: 13 May 2019, 20:54 Cheltenham retained list announced
Well yes I expect they have.
What's the big news then ? The suspense is excruciating.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There is two possible players on Cheltenham's release list that GJ may be interested in - namely Manny Duka and Tom Smith.

Cheltenham turned down our approach for striker Duka in the January transfer window... click link - https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... wn-2490522
I think this approach was made when it looked like Saikou Janneh loan was not going to be extended.

He is on the transfer list due to having a year left on his contract rather than a fee being required.

Another possible is Tom Smith also on the transfer list. This is what GJ had to say about the 21 year old when he signed him ... "We've had an eye on Tom for a few years. He is a pocket dynamo who can find a pass and who always has a goal in him." Click link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44329914
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

I think Duku is a realistic target but wouldn’t be surprised if Mullins (centre half) and Dawson (attacking centre mid) are also on GJs radar. Both are out of contract and available on a free transfer - seemingly Dawson has been offered a new deal but may only be a short term (1 year) one - both players signed for CTFC by GJ - and Dawson also followed him there from Yeovil.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

But, if correct, are any of these the "marquee" signings?
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

Of which one 'marquee signing' has just retired :lol:
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

smw89 wrote: 16 May 2019, 21:22 Of which one 'marquee signing' has just retired :lol:
:aww: Quite right. Mullins is retiring, so we can cross him off the list! :slap: :lol:
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 16 May 2019, 20:22 But, if correct, are any of these the "marquee" signings?
I wonder whether GJ might Iive to regret that remark! Personally, I don’t think we should set our expectations too high this summer Nick. The names I suggested (Duku apart) were regulars in a mid table League Two side last season and as such are probably a “cut above” the National League, but they are the sort of players at what is after all a higher level than we are at, that I would imagine GJ is looking to recruit from.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote: 17 May 2019, 10:24 I wonder whether GJ might Iive to regret that remark! Personally, I don’t think we should set our expectations too high this summer Nick. The names I suggested (Duku apart) were regulars in a mid table League Two side last season and as such are probably a “cut above” the National League, but they are the sort of players at what is after all a higher level than we are at, that I would imagine GJ is looking to recruit from.
Kalala was not a marquee signing on paper - but I would suggest he would now be one for any club at our level. If GJ signed some of these players with the expectation they are good enough for league football (and I trust his judgement) and should he go back to them now then that is marquee enough in my book!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

Id be happy with just a very good big tent
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

haz316 wrote: 18 May 2019, 06:13 Id be happy with just a very good big tent
…………….to keep the playing surface looking like a pitch and not a beach.
^.^
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

grockle wrote: 18 May 2019, 14:07 …………….to keep the playing surface looking like a pitch and not a beach.
^.^
Now we haven't got the gypos in situ there shouldn't be a problem.
I thought Julian did a fantastic job in getting the pitch to recover in the way he did, it was far better than some of the pitches we played on towards the end of the campaign, regardless of whether we were plying our trade the NLS or not.
So well done Julian.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Much speculation about forthcoming player signings. So here is another for the transfer rumours page.

Billy Waters has been made available for transfer by Northampton Town. The 24-year-old spent the second half of the 2018/19 campaign back at Cheltenham Town on loan, having spent two seasons with the Robins between 2015 and 2017. So one of GJ's original selected signings.

His move to Northampton did not go as planned and it is possible that Cheltenham may step in for him again. However, Waters like all footballers wants regular football and given his previous Cheltenham links with GJ and AD it is possible that he may be interested, if approached.

Water found the net 27 times in 69 starts under GJ,at Cheltenham firstly helping the club to win promotion back to the EFL and then secure their EFL status in 2016/17. Whilst under GJ at Cheltenham, Waters was Cheltenham's player of the season and top scorer in 2016/17