TUFC Latest Links

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Rumours as you say. The favourite is Graham Coughlan (Bristol Rovers) followed by Ian Holloway, Gourvennac from Guinkamp and I suppose, Kevin Nancekivell and Rhyss Wilmott might be considered. I see NO talk of GJ at all. Anything can happen but GJ will stay with us I'm sure.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Holloway still even money favourite with Coughlan 6/4 second favourite.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

What a great day! Exeter miss out on play offs, Plymouth relegated! Does not get much better than that
!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

League 1 might have been tempting for Gary, but league 2 not a chance(with Plymouth). His project is half done. Plymouth shouldn’t have sacked the manager until today, but it was all irrelevant as Southend won.
Lucy
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I hear that Clarke Osborne has taken the team on an all expenses paid holiday somewhere in Europe as a bonus for winning the league !!!!! Nasty man that Osborne.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He didn't take the Reading speedway team anywhere when he left them without a club and stadium. Lovely bloke eh?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

dawlishmatt wrote: 04 May 2019, 20:38 I hear that Clarke Osborne has taken the team on an all expenses paid holiday somewhere in Europe as a bonus for winning the league !!!!! Nasty man that Osborne.
Fantastic for the champions.well deserved
Lucy
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I feel rather sad that Argyle have been relegated - I am no fan of the club but I do remember what tremendous support their fans gave us when we thought we were going out of business 4 years ago. I don't remember any such support from Exeter fans who have now got what they deserved - staying in League 2 after effectively forcing out a decent manager in Paul Tisdale who has now led MK Dons back to League One at the first attempt.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 May 2019, 21:25 He didn't take the Reading speedway team anywhere when he left them without a club and stadium. Lovely bloke eh?

I appreciate your hatred for Osborne, but speedway doesn’t really generate the income Torquay United will. Let’s face it, speedway is a nothing sport.
Lucy
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

'I feel rather sad that Argyle have been relegated - I am no fan of the club but I do remember what tremendous support their fans gave us when we thought we were going out of business 4 years ago' - however I may change my tune rapidly if Argyle appoint GJ as their new manager!
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Southampton Gull wrote: 04 May 2019, 21:25 He didn't take the Reading speedway team anywhere when he left them without a club and stadium. Lovely bloke eh?
😵😵😵
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

lucy6lucy wrote: 04 May 2019, 21:47

I appreciate your hatred for Osborne, but speedway doesn’t really generate the income Torquay United will. Let’s face it, speedway is a nothing sport.

I'll let Rjc70 answer your rather shortsighted opinions.
Dave

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 May 2019, 00:24
I'll let Rjc70 answer your rather shortsighted opinions.
If I must, Dave. It’ll attract predictable responses after a season of success on the pitch at this lowest of all TUFC levels we were at, though.

Reading routinely saw crowds above National League South and National League up until the year before it was killed off there. Their penultimate season saw them within one race of winning the equivalent of the Premier League in that sport live on Sky before Osborne’s promises, bulldozers, club death and the sprouting up nearby of commercial units and housing. BT Sport cover the sport since 2016 after Sky showing it for more than a decade before that. The Grand Prix events sell out across the world and attract big TV revenue to this day.

The crowd at Swindon v Poole when I went the other week was more than an Owers Torquay and approaching the average of a Johnson Torquay. It was, however, noticeable the nearest house to the noisy ‘pits’ was about 20 yards away tops. Still no new stadium there despite a second decade having commenced since an Osborne/Stadia UK/GI promise. Just housing.

You don’t like the sport Lucy. I rarely go myself since my club was killed off. But it still pulls in crowds and was the second most attended spectator sport for many years in the UK. Possibly on a par with Rugby now, but also quite possibly still ahead. I don’t know the stats as my interest waned when I lost my club.

If football is the only currency permitted when discussing Osborne, then I’m sure most know Bristol Rovers old ground became an IKEA under Osborne’s watch, forcing them to have a decade playing in Bath. They could survive it. I doubt a much smaller club with the debt it now has to Osborne could. Could it?

Enjoy the promotion as we all are. We have had so much shit in recent years that being Champions at whatever level we had bottomed out at was something we all deserve to enjoy like never before. And even shed a tear over. But why would anyone consider an owner the Messiah for getting us promoted back from the lowest level we’ve ever been at since election to the Football League in 1927 having been relegated under his watch and with the accumulation of a debt in excess of £1.4m to him? Does that cost include the cost of a presentation nicked from a proposed building in India that also never happened and other planning and consultancy services?

He did well getting a good Manager in who had become available. Everyone will agree on that. And when Johnson took some wages off and turned our squad around he performed a minor miracle in the Club management sense. But for me, it’s very much a case of enjoying it while it lasts because I am yet to be made aware of anywhere where stadium project talk with Osborne has led to anything other than tough times for those hoping for it to transpire. I’d be delighted to be corrected and reassured on any of that or the above by anyone who knows any different.

Thank you, Gary Johnson. I hope you get us back to the Football League and increase our attractiveness for new investors at some point in the near future and that Osborne, at that point, sells us on.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Such great points by Rjc 70,because the success and warranted this season due to great performances by players and manager have shown us as champions ,however it is at the lowest league we've ever been in and had we played these teams in the FA cup in the old Fourth Div it would be considered a disgrace to lose to them.
Enjoy the season we've had which has been so refreshing but realistically we are a league lower next season than we are supposed to be .Should Mr.Osborne invest enough to get the club back to where they used to be for many years ,the football league and financial stability then yes its worth celebrating but at present my celebration is muted.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I can really feel your pain, Rob. I hope it's not something you have to go through again.

Still, the players are off on a jolly at the expense of a multi millionaire. What a lovely chap he is......
Dave