Keeping Schtum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Keeping Schtum

Post by SatNav »

Very worrying story on Twitter saying that Gary Johnson is refusing to comment on speculation linking him to Argyle. Why would he refuse to comment if he was committed to TUFC??😟
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

At the end of the day Argyle are a big club and could offer big money. We could not blame GJ if he took up such a challenge. Clearly the implications for us should this happen are potentially very damaging. It could also irreparably damage relations between the two clubs.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Bet Victor latest next Argyle manager odds are:

Ian Holloway 2/1
Darrell Clarke 5/1
Gary Johnson 8/1
TUST No 278
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Perhaps he's already fed up talking about it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Seriously don't know what Argyle could offer GJ?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:32 Seriously don't know what Argyle could offer GJ?
another heart attack ? Pressure/abuse? Gnome Park? longer drive to work ? different players that he's not used to ? I could go on......& on....&on..
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

On the plus side, this could put a lot of pressure on our owners to support Johnson in the summer. If it's known that other clubs are coming in for him, it might be easier to finagle a few extra quid to our 2019/2020 playing budget
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start if Gary Johnson is offered the Plymouth job, and wants it, he'll take it end of, Plymouth are a bigger club, big eats little. Had GJ been 20 years younger and achieved want he did with Torquay lasts season, I'd put money on him wanting that job, but he isn't, he's 63, with nothing left to prove in football, we all know his CV speaks for itself.

Would a bigger salary be motivation, I'd be shocked if GJ wasn't personally financially secure, and probably could opt to see out his days sat in the garden running the roses at any time.

When the Yeovil job became vacant of short weeks ago, Gary Johnson couldn't have made it any more crystal clear, he'd come to Torquay to do a job, and the NLS championship was only phase 1, how many times does he have to repeat that, I fully expect him to be with us next season, after all Plymouth go into Saturdays game knowing a draw may not be good enough for them, they could well be only 1 level above us next term, hardly the biggest job is it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I would, of course, understand if Johnson went to a higher League club. What I can’t abide, however, is the arrogant garbage that comes out of Pasoti and the Argyle fans in general. Holloway is the favourite for the job apparently, but many don’t appear to want him because he left Argyle for a better job in the past. Hypocrites, these Janners, happy to steal a manager from another club, don’t forgive if their own manager moves elsewhere to better himself.
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Very true about the hypocrites @gullintwoplaces. And Holloway didn't go to rivals down the road. So much for the Argyle neighbourly love talk if out of hundreds of managers they could choose, they went for the only one that kicks their neighbour in the teeth.

All go on plymouthlive website's poll and vote for Holloway!!

In other situations you can accept players/manager advancing their careers, but not if this happened. You just hope GJ would realise what a stab in the back, or front, it would be after all the optimistic talk & mutual admiration to go down the road to them of all clubs, & how he'd totally relinquish his legendary place in the hearts of our fans. If he gets us promotion again, it would be almost inevitable he'd attract interest & grudgingly fans might have to reluctantly accept it then if a big club in another part of the country came in after that & he'd completed his stated aim. But at this point, if he went to Argyle it would be like your lifelong best mate shagging your missus....and then coming back to shag your 18 year old daughter! It would be far worse than Buckle to Bristol Rovers. Let's hope GJ can be loyal and patient, enjoy it here, and wait for better offers to come.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

chardie wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 17:28 Bet Victor latest next Argyle manager odds are:

Ian Holloway 2/1
Darrell Clarke 5/1
Gary Johnson 8/1
Skybet have Gary 12-1, with Holloway evens. Interesting that Gary was 4-1 on skybet Monday, so he’s drifting. End of the day I would be very surprised if he left.
Lucy
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

lucy6lucy wrote: 01 May 2019, 01:40 Skybet have Gary 12-1, with Holloway evens. Interesting that Gary was 4-1 on skybet Monday, so he’s drifting. End of the day I would be very surprised if he left.
Totally agree! Having seen him at the end of the St Alban's game I would be amazed if he walked! But it's a funny old game. How many times have I seen a really successful manager leave a club and find it difficult elsewhere. Hopefully GJ is too experienced to get carried away with this seasons success and stays where at present he can do no wrong. I believe they are meeting today to discuss next season so maybe we will hear more on the subject later today.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I see that Argyle have been given permission to talk to Bury's manager, Ryan Lowe:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48267540
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

budegull1954 wrote: 14 May 2019, 15:44 I see that Argyle have been given permission to talk to Bury's manager, Ryan Lowe:
Would've thought Arthur Lowe would be more appropriate seeing they're a club dying on its feet ! :devil:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 14 May 2019, 15:44 I see that Argyle have been given permission to talk to Bury's manager, Ryan Lowe:
He must be nuts.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468