Cornish, Greeks and that other Green team.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'll always wish Argyle well, never really felt like they were major rivals. Clearly a bigger club, but did enjoy the mini-rivalry during our double over them, with one of the best away games I've even been to. Taking 2,000 fans, out-singing and playing them all game at Home Park. I'm too young to remember the days when Torquay and Plymouth were the main Devon rivals and Exeter weren't even around. I mention this because I know of a few older Gulls who think more highly of City than Argyle. I can't imagine that. Personally, I would like to see Plymouth to stay up and Exeter to remain in League Two. Couldn't care less of City's success.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

I make no apology for my antipathy towards the Cornish. For decades we've put up with their patronising drivel. So what a few of them turned up at one of our games. Don't forget when they were robbing local businesses of 17m quid we were asked to pledge money to their cause. When the Greeks robbed their community we gave them the gate receipts from pre season friendlies. So don't come the 'we helped you in your hour of need' bullsh*t.

I haven't seen local TV for some years but I can bet 0.7p to a pound that it's still all "argyle". Since the days of the Dickhead Woodacre and Chris Fear up until today's version that ginger slapper Natalie Corner we've been 4th class in their eyes. Radio Devon dropped us last season but now want to come crawling back with some Scottish bloke pretending to know what he's talking about.

While we have to court the local media to some degree, they should not be welcomed with open arms. As for Cornish and Greek fans? I think I've made myself clear on that one!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

that Scottish bloke you're on about is a TUFC supporter, & he won't be crawling. Radio Devon ask him to commentate, but he's not employed by them. Steve Breed used to do the commentary for them occasionally as well. Not that I'm a fan of Radio Devon; couldn't get to two away games this season, & listened in on TUFC Radio which I thought was better.Just setting the record straight about Paul Mulhearn.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I utterly appreciate the sentiment of the opening post.

I never understood the sycophantic crawling around “Argol” that some supporters of TUFC partake in. It’s embarrassing and ridiculous. They’re a horrible club with a significant amount of odious fans within their fanbase, suffering from the most outrageous delusions of grandeur. They patronise us, as though they are the local Premiership club (which the wildly deluded Janners seem to think they should be) when they are nothing more than a yo-yo club between League 1 and 2 and their recent history shows they can’t even cut it at League 1.

Years and years ago, I saved my dislike for Exeter but in recent years I’ve developed a begrudging respect for the way they do things and I think as a club, Exeter have been better friends to Torquay. Plymouth paying 0.7p in every £1 they cheated local businesses out of, and then lording it when they won promotion was galling. They essentially cheated and for them to be relegated would be their just desserts.

And on the subject of Derek Adams, this is where their misguided twattery knows no bounds. They were pretty mediocre before he came along. He got them to a play-off final which they lost and then straight away another which they won and got promotion. Immediately after winning promotion, they had a bad start and fans were calling for him to be sacked but he overcame the bad start and stupid fans and got them to the play-offs in League 1. Now, against the odds, he has a great chance of keeping Plymouth in League 1, his first non-promotion chasing season, and the vitriol aimed at him is astounding. Ridiculous.

Relegation is what that deluded and odious fanbase deserve.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would just like to say to any Argyle fan reading this. I have not forgotten the Boreham Wood game, when you guys came with your shirts on, and your Argyle flags and stood shoulder to shoulder with us on the popside singing our songs supporting our club.

I also saw, Brighton, Yeovil shirts, I know there was Exeter fans in the ground that night, the gate would have been less than 1,000 that night, the effort fans of other clubs made to support us was down to the work of Argyle supporters which I'm thankful for.

As far as the rest of it. Let the football club who is without sin cast the first stone, that's it in a nutshell.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Agreed. I was very grateful to the Argyle fans who came to support us last year . I for one will go to Argyle on Saturday to return the favour . Anyone else feel the same ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

To be perfectly honest I would rather Exeter don't make the play offs and I don't mind if Plymouth stay up.

Since Gordon Sparkes lost interest our local radio station seem more biased towards Exeter than anyone else. If its not all Exeter City with their bloody awful biased commentators its the ridiculous Exeter Chiefs.

Radio Devon might as well be renamed Radio Exeter - they will be even worse if Exeter go up and Plymouth go down. I Wonder what excuse they will find not to cover us next season now we have got promoted.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Can't stand Argyle or Exeter, they could both disappear into local football as far as I'm concerned but Exeter will always be the rivals I prefer to lose. I've got good friends among the Exeter fan base and family and friends who support Argyle. Fcuk the lot of them. Torquay till I die!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

forevertufc wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 09:18 I would just like to say to any Argyle fan reading this. I have not forgotten the Boreham Wood game, when you guys came with your shirts on, and your Argyle flags and stood shoulder to shoulder with us on the popside singing our songs supporting our club.

I also saw, Brighton, Yeovil shirts, I know there was Exeter fans in the ground that night, the gate would have been less than 1,000 that night, the effort fans of other clubs made to support us was down to the work of Argyle supporters which I'm thankful for.

As far as the rest of it. Let the football club who is without sin cast the first stone, that's it in a nutshell.
:goodpost:

I do dislike Argyle though as they employed McCormick who should still be rotting in prison. Although i accept it's not the actual club at fault there just the moron who made the decision to do so.

I also have an intense disregard for those (not all) Argyle fans who put football before the respect of innocent lives lost by supporting McCormick whilst he was in an Argyle shirt. Principles are fine so long as they don't get in the way of your football team eh? If these fans can truly tell themselves they could welcome McCormick into their lives, or even give him a job if they had their own businesses if he'd have wiped out THEIR family then fair play. Trouble is they can't therefore they are thick as pigshit.

I'm sure there are lots of decent Argyle fans however who were as disgusted as i was that they had employed McCormick. Not all football fans are without values which is reassuring.

The fortunate thing for Argyle is that are facing Scunny on Saturday. I was at the Scunny v Bradford game yesterday and judging by that and the recent form of Scunny under caretaker boss Dawson, they are good for 3 points to round off the season for sure. Whether it will be enough to keep them up i'm not sure.

Exeter are probably IMO the prime example of how a lower league club should be run. Yes they've had their luck with the cup runs etc but they've used every last penny wisely and it's a really engaging club who put fans first on the face of it. I went a couple of times last season and was really impressed. So long as they don't sign Adam Johnson then long should that remain.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Why all the hate for local rivals? I too remember that rare run of seasons when we had the beating of Argyle and last season's gesture of support by Argyle fans. In my experience there has always been an affection for Torquay amongst the Argyle fanbase and a fair few players have joined us from them over the years. The same can be said of Exeter. We certainly helped them out when they first dropped into the conference and nearly went to the wall - I remember a pre-season friendly when we decided not to take our share of a respectable gate to help their cash flow. That's how it should be amongst the local clubs - we would all be the poorer for an absence of local rivalry.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Certainly picking up some negativity here,
https://x.com/danieljonknight/status/11 ... 24512?s=12

😂😂😂😂😂
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 12:04 Can't stand Argyle or Exeter, they could both disappear into local football as far as I'm concerned but Exeter will always be the rivals I prefer to lose. I've got good friends among the Exeter fan base and family and friends who support Argyle. Fcuk the lot of them. Torquay till I die!!
Get off the fence Dave and tell us what you think........ :}
Right about the TTID though!!!!!! :clap: :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 14:12 Certainly picking up some negativity here,
https://x.com/danieljonknight/status/11 ... 24512?s=12

😂😂😂😂😂
'F**k off Scottish cnut'

Isn't that racist? :}
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

maybe Adams could do with a cup of tea ? (it wasn't coffee at Evesham!!!)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Where would we be without our neighbours? No Jamie Reid for example! Rotting in NLS without his contribution!