Torquay United v Hungerford Town, 22nd April

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

And a word about Hungerford, well done to their players who came back out at the end and joined the guard of honour then stayed to watch the presentation. Having given their all, they would have been forgiven for having a quick shower and hitting the road.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 20:46 Well what a day of mixed emotions for me. It starts with excitement at actually going to Plainmoor for once at the seasons end to see us with something to cerebrate on our own ground, rather than watching the away fans doing it, as so many times before, that turned to joy, when the 4 man syndicate I'm part of, for the second time this season won the 50/50 nice £100, that turned to disappointment as the game was lost late on, once again on high as the team come out for the trophy presentation, then my day turned to despair as I suffered a blow out on the way home over an hour and snapped jack later I finally get home, guess that's part of my winnings down the drain already :'(

Anyway on to the match, to be fair the teams had more than a few chances to put this game to bed, Reidy hitting the bar, and shooting wide when he should have done better, Olaf with a great chance also, but as I said on the Chippenham thread, it really is difficult for players who've given much to win something, then to win, to get to the same levels of intensity and urgency, so they're forgiven in my book, as we saw there was a lack of chasing down the 50/50's we've seen all season, and not the same desire to get that tackles in.

Didn't take long for moaners corner to start up again, the squad won the league with games to spare, really what is there to moan about, cut them some slack they've given everything for the cause, and deserve to enjoy the moment, and us fans, enjoy it, this may never happen again.

Best moment of the day, Keating leading the Gerring chant :)
Well, i didnt really care about the result, although a win would have been good!! it was for the atmosphere and to see MY team as champions and collect the trophy - got on the Popside at around 2pm and it was a tad busy.....
great to see Dave (sorry to hear about the blowout!) and the gang but as dave has said we should have probably won it - think we were trying too hard!
A shout out to the Hungerford fans for staying to applaud us during the presentation and to their players for the two guards of honour - before and after the game and also staying on the pitch for the presentation.
Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

According to the various match reports 'everyone' received a yellow flag (or was it orange?) to wave when they entered the ground. Well I arrived at 2.30 with my brother and there were certainly no flags being given out at the Popside entrance at that time. Neither were there any 'souvenir' programmes available. A small point maybe but it didn't take the gloss off a great occasion, even if the match itself was a huge anticlimax. Did anyone else on the left-hand side of the Popside see the blatant penalty in the second half when a Hungerford player batted the ball with his hand in the penalty area? You could hear the smack of hand against ball quite clearly from where I was standing - Conor L-Evans (best player on the pitch) was furious and rightly so.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

budegull1954 wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 13:52 According to the various match reports 'everyone' received a yellow flag (or was it orange?) to wave when they entered the ground. Well I arrived at 2.30 with my brother and there were certainly no flags being given out at the Popside entrance at that time. Neither were there any 'souvenir' programmes available. A small point maybe but it didn't take the gloss off a great occasion, even if the match itself was a huge anticlimax. Did anyone else on the left-hand side of the Popside see the blatant penalty in the second half when a Hungerford player batted the ball with his hand in the penalty area? You could hear the smack of hand against ball quite clearly from where I was standing - Conor L-Evans (best player on the pitch) was furious and rightly so.
The flags weren't given out, they were on tables next to the toilets for people to help themselves.

We saw that hand ball as clear as day from the middle of the Pop. The ref missed a couple of clear pens for us in the second half I thought.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Re: the flags - maybe I need glasses then. Certainly no specs needed for the penalty - the ref could do with a pair though!
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

We won some games this season WITH the run of the ball.

We lost some games this season WITHOUT the run of the ball.

Overall - we'm the Champs. Well done, the Club, the Players, the Supporters and thanks very much, King GJ !

And thanks Hungerford for showing the respect as SNW posts.

A spanking good win Saturday would be good. Suppose, next season, we go up again after losing the last 3 games, we'd all be happy again.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We basically won this league in a 30 game whirlwind, the energy these players put in during these games is a credit to there fitness so I’m baffled why some are moaning, hungerford where fighting for there lives and produced the ultimate smash and grab win. On another day we could have won this 6-1. The celebrations at the end will be remembered for many years to come, at least they can open champagne now. Yes the squad will need experienced additions, but we have a very good nucleus going into the summer break. COYY.
Lucy
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Yes great effort from Hungerford showing respect for the champions, real class 👏

A few points from yesterday

It was a great thought giving out the flags, anyone else think they were a bit budget? I understand getting that many flags come at a cost but would of been a nice souverneer if they were proper flags. Programmes were sold out of the club shop at 1pm!!

Considering the match was sold out of sets the day before there were allot of empty seats in the family stand and the away end was allot emptier than the Easbourne game.

Last point or question anyone have any idea why they chose to have the presentation at the far end of the pitch miles away from any fans with the back drop of an empty stand??

All in all a day to remember can’t be critical of the team or performance after a long season and well deserved title after the start we had must be one of the greatest turn around of all time?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 20:19 Yes great effort from Hungerford showing respect for the champions, real class 👏

A few points from yesterday

It was a great thought giving out the flags, anyone else think they were a bit budget? I understand getting that many flags come at a cost but would of been a nice souverneer if they were proper flags. Programmes were sold out of the club shop at 1pm!!

Considering the match was sold out of sets the day before there were allot of empty seats in the family stand and the away end was allot emptier than the Easbourne game.

Last point or question anyone have any idea why they chose to have the presentation at the far end of the pitch miles away from any fans with the back drop of an empty stand??

All in all a day to remember can’t be critical of the team or performance after a long season and well deserved title after the start we had must be one of the greatest turn around of all time?
Personally I thought the position was perfect for the trophy this allowed all 3 home stands to see the players without any of the stands having the view of the back of the players
Lucy
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

For the final time this season a vlog of the days events:

💛🎥⚽
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

We always seem to sell out of programmes well before kick off for big games. An opportunity lost to make a bit more money.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

A great season, having seen every away game and most of the homes. I did feel very flat after the Hungerford game. On another day we would have scored a hatful. However, a magnificent season, bearing in mind that we have a very small squad. Here's hoping for a great win at St. Albans next Saturday.