Chippenham Town V Torquay United 19/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I wasn’t at the game but sounds like we conceded top headers? Which defenders weren’t with their man when the ball was delivered? We’ve been such a strong arts king side this year that I think it’s covered up some defensive frailties at times. Onwards and upwards, I’m sure we will bounce back on Monday but I also believe the opposition will be looking to spoil our party
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

desperado wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 08:12 Prepared to forgive them this one bearing in mind it was the worst pitch (in dry conditions) I have seen us play a league game on which made it a leveller and difficult to play football on, as long as normal service is resumed on Monday, we really don't want to let down a big crowd and have all those extra people wondering how we managed to win the league. Shame about Janneh as he and Reid built up a good understanding but really Hungerford must be taken to the cleaners
Yes, a good performance in the last home game is essential. I fully expect to lose against St Albans (who will have more to play for than Chippenham) and so will be hoping that a big home crowd get something to cheer before then so the season doesn't end on too much of a whimper.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Being a season ticket holder, and someone who goes to a small number of away games per season I wouldn't consider myself to be an armchair fan. Whilst Brucies wording is direct and to the point, I certainly agree with his sentiment, we all know there's a thing in football called 'manager speak' GJ was never going to come out after that game and say, oh well these last three games are a free hit for us, we're more bothered about next season, was he, that said of course he cares, and wants to be professional, easier said than done for players who've invested so much physical and mental effort into winning the division, now they've done it, to get there mentality in the right place for these last few games isn't a given no matter what words from the manager and training.

We're knowledgeable fans, how many times over the years have we seen a team whether, top flight, second tier, or down through the lower leagues, be dominant, win their respective division with 3-5 or more games to go, and then struggle for performances and results through out their closing games, think some of us are reading to much into yesterdays performance and result.

I got home from work in time to listen, to much of the game on the radio, yep got it, it came across as a poor day at the office, and I do feel for those who not only spent their hard earned cash, but struggled through the bank holiday traffic. Thankfully I have the day off for Monday, have my St Albans tickets, being honest going to these games more in hope of seeing us play like champions rather than expectation, for all the reasons laid out above.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

Made a vlog of the Chippenham game any thoughts / feedback welcome -> 🎥💛⚽
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

Midlandgull wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 09:01 Made a vlog of the Chippenham game any thoughts / feedback welcome -> 🎥💛⚽
So you were the guy behind me holding his mobile up in the air =D I was the guy who forgot his cap and ended up wearing his hoodie as a hat/cape. Good vlog thanks for posting. :)
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am not into the deeper meanings that some attribute to manager speak, actually, saying it as it is , is not only simpler but in the long run saves confusion. I know footballers in general are not the brightest of things and some may never understand the concept of football even though they have a little talent in their feet, as Johnson has said some people like being footballers but not all footballers like playing football, or words to that effect.
Football is a crowd event, we go along to see our favourite players, we go to see entertainment, occasionally at our level, moments of magic, and oddly this season a successful team, what we do not come to see is players who in the main exceed our wage structure not seeming to bother, show no intent or regard the game as a training event, or as yesterday not seeming to understand the concept that the primary object is to pass to each other not the opposition, to my mind they can get slaughtered every night of the week at seasons end if that is what they wish, but until we have no more games then they must do their best to be what it says on the tin, a professional football player. If I can be bothered to walk a mile or so, get a bus, and two different trains and a further walk, each way, to support my team, using my hard earned money, then is it too much to ask for these supposed footballers to put in a performance for two 45 minute periods with a fifteen minute rest period in between. If it is then they are in the wrong sport.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

On the while I agree with Mr. Culmstock. Not being at the game, but listening carefully to the interview with the Manager after it, it seems that the players (or the majority of them) relaxed a bit too far. In terms of human nature, this is understandable, but as the Manager quite correctly said 'we are in the entertainment business'. I played in rock'n'roll bands for 35 years and, if I (or we) had ever switched off you can be sure the audience would have let us know. Therefore it's up to the players to pull their fingers out on Monday. I shall be watching Whitby Town vs Farsley Celtic, a game which Farsley desperately need to win to secure becoming Champions, and which Whitby Town, comfortably mid-table, have nothing at all to play for. You can guess the outcome.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Sorry, that should be 'on the whole'.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 09:52 On the while I agree with Mr. Culmstock. Not being at the game, but listening carefully to the interview with the Manager after it, it seems that the players (or the majority of them) relaxed a bit too far. In terms of human nature, this is understandable, but as the Manager quite correctly said 'we are in the entertainment business'. I played in rock'n'roll bands for 35 years and, if I (or we) had ever switched off you can be sure the audience would have let us know. Therefore it's up to the players to pull their fingers out on Monday. [highlight=yellow]I shall be watching Whitby Town vs Farsley Celtic, a game which Farsley desperately need to win to secure becoming Champions, and which Whitby Town, comfortably mid-table, have nothing at all to play for. You can guess the outcome.
[/highlight]
Yeah, 5-0 to Farsley.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 08:19 I wasn’t at the game but sounds like we conceded top headers? Which defenders weren’t with their man when the ball was delivered? We’ve been such a strong arts king side this year that I think it’s covered up some defensive frailties at times. Onwards and upwards, I’m sure we will bounce back on Monday but I also believe the opposition will be looking to spoil our party
Good post.

I also think our dominating attacking play has covered up our defensive frailties.

Not sure MacDonald, Niate or Sendles-White are good enough to start on a regular basis in the National League.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Guildford Gull wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 11:16
Not sure MacDonald, Niate or Sendles-White are good enough to start on a regular basis in the National League.
Agree with this, but let them have their moment in the after glow of a championship winning season. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Midlandgull wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 09:01 Made a vlog of the Chippenham game any thoughts / feedback welcome -> 🎥💛⚽
Enjoyed that again and agree with your comments at the end. You were stood behind me and the view was terrible. Your recording showed what an uneven pitch it was. We missed Hall and Janneh. It did have the feel of an end of season nothing to play for match. Looking at the club statement today they seem to imply there was trouble before, during and after the match. Apart from a couple of flares I didn't see to much else.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Like one the posters above said anyone who has followed football for a while knows that teams who win leagues by a fair margin are liable to switch off for the remaining few games. Anyone planning on attending the post Eastbourne games really should be aware of that. The problem with the two away games is that people were required to buy tickets in advance not knowing whether or not the games would still be of significance to us, but that's life, you pay your money and you take your pick.
Gary Johnson was hardly likely to say he doesn't give a toss about the remaining games was he, like someone said it is management speak. Both Johnson and the players did the job required of them this season and earnt their wages, so stop whinging about a few games that have no bearing on our immediate destiny.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Two flares thrown on pitch. I understand someone was caught for that. One apparently let offin the Brunel pub - how stupid is that. Was there any other trouble as I didn’t see anything.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I was at the game and thought we were the better side. But not by much. The pitch was terrible, and that isn't trying to make an excuse, it was terrible! The only way to play on that was hoof ball, when we tried a passing game it just didn't work, maybe Man City or someone like that could have made it work but we are not Man City.

Missing Asa, Saikou and RK also showed.

They knew how to play that pitch, we at times were incamped in their half but they defended well. I'm making no predictions for next season on that 1 game yesterday.
TUST MEMBER