Realistic goals next season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GoodringtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jean-Yves Koue-Niate

Post by GoodringtonGull »

It's fairly evident that next season will be a challenge - just have a look at the clubs who will be playing in the NL next year, as well as some potential clubs joining. Notts County, Yeovil, Stockport, Woking etc.

BUT... there's no reason why us Gulls supporters cant remain optimistic after the fantastic campaign we've had. Gary Johnson is a fantastic manager, and the players already signed for next year is a great start. If we can secure a couple more City loanees plus a few more experienced heads then theres no reason why a top-half/play off position wouldn't be on the cards.

I'd love to see Janneh and CLE come back. For me they've been outstanding and played major roles for us this season. I like Andrews alot, and to some this may seem harsh, but I honestly think we can secure someone better on a permanent deal. Yes he's scored 11 and assisted a handful as well, but in the more important matches, i.e Bath away, he doesn't seem to face up that well to pressure - yet seems to thrive in the less important matches when we win big against sides like Oxford C, Hemel etc. He's a talented lad, but he's got a bit of maturing to do before he can step up another gear.

For me, I'd love to see us sign someone like Manny Duku or Tshimanga from Oxford City. Two excellent strikers at NL level and would thrive under Johnson here at Torquay.

Does anyone know whats happening about Ryan Dickson next season? has he re-signed or will we have to wait and see whether he's going to be offered a new deal?

Next year is going to be one hell of a season, and I'd love to see Torquay go on and secure another promotion! But, like most Torquay fans, it's all about baby steps - and I'd happily take survival if you offered it to me haha!

Come on you Yellows!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think Dickson already had a deal to the end of next season, hence not being offered a new one this year.
Not sure about Duku, his CV stinks of a player with problems, when he plays he seems to do well but he has been let go by far too may clubs for my liking.
I'd love to see all the Bristol lads back but would be surprised if we got CLE or Janneh, I expect to see both of them in the League somewhere next year.

In Johnson we trust, and in Johnson I have the utmost faith that he will do his level best to have us competing at the top for back to back promotion.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

CLE (22) will be playing League football next year, I feel sure. Wales and Bristol City must both want that as part of his development.

I would say Edwards (19) and Andrews (21) are the two most likely to be here. Possibly Andrews on a permanent after release? I’ve no idea on his contract position presently. I think Andrews would be a very decent acquisition, myself, although I’m sure he will have his sights set higher right now. Both would benefit from Johnson’s management and improve if here.

Whilst Janneh is young at 19, I would think Bristol City would be sending him higher up the pyramid. I really think he could have a very good career well above National League level and they should be looking at him as a potential soon to be Championship player already. I would expect Duku is in the box seat to replace him, if so. But he has another year left on his Cheltenham deal presently.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Rjc70 wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 22:21Whilst Janneh is young at 19, I would think Bristol City would be sending him higher up the pyramid. I really think he could have a very good career well above National League level and they should be looking at him as a potential soon to be Championship player already.
Good luck to him on his recall to Bristol City. Johnson quoted on Devon Live as follows:-

“He nearly went back in January, but they agreed for him to stay here," he said. He's been a great servant to us, and we are thankful that we were allowed to play a part in his development. They want to keep him around in case they need him for the Play-Offs in the Championship. They know he is going to be a top player, and we know it too."

Thanks Saikou for your contribution. We’ve enjoyed watching you.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

GoodringtonGull wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 15:57 I like Andrews alot, and to some this may seem harsh, but I honestly think we can secure someone better on a permanent deal. Yes he's scored 11 and assisted a handful as well,
Scored 12 and assisted 13.