Let’s not get too carried away

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Let’s not get too carried away

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

I don’t want to be a party pooper and I’m delighted that we’ve won the league BUT...

Let’s just remember that this was a season spent in regional football with a full-time squad of professional footballers playing against part-time opposition. I would love it if we could achieve back-to-back promotions and return from non-league football (because that’s what the National League is too) to the actual football league.

Should that be achieved I would be genuinely happy but this joy would still be tempered by the FACT that we will have only returned to the place we were before we became really shit. I’m really not trying to put a downer on things. I think Gary Johnson has done a magnificent job in turning around our fortunes and I sincerely hope he can galvanise us for a promotion push next season too.

I would also like to highlight that nobody really knows the true intentions/motivation of our owner and that he could pull the plug on investment in the club whenever he sees fit.

Just want there to be a bit of balance on the forum. That’s all.
Wokingham Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Rosenior

Post by Wokingham Gull »

Wow, what a negative post. Just enjoy the TUFC achievement today. Its bloody marvellous.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Understand where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree, but come on. Forget everything else and just enjoy this. We haven't had this for a long, long time after so much terrible. We went from 14th to 1st with GJ and won the league with dominance, even if it was the NLS, we're on our way!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

I thought my post was largely positive and I’m certainly enjoying today’s achievement. I was just trying to bring attention to potential ‘icebergs around the corner’. Maybe I’m just a bit more of a glass half empty personality. I realise that sometimes rational statements are greeted with derision on this type of forum.
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Urban Spaceman »

There were still 21 other teams from the region competing and Torquay deservedly won the title. It had to be earned and was not handed to the Gulls on a plate - goals still had to be scored and defended at the same time. I totally agree with Wokingham Gull and Dannyrvtufc4life - enjoy the achievement because it may not happen again for many years (though I hope not !).
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Urban Spaceman »

I do understand the point which you are making, but I think that today is probably not the time to make it.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I hear what you're saying but whatever division a club gets relegated to it needs to bounce back quickly. I mean look at Stockport County - they've been in the National League North for what 3 or 4 years. That could've easily been us and Stockport were in the Championship only about 15-20 years ago.

So whilst it was expected the team and the club still had to deliver. Agree about the owners that no one knows the true story - they should lay out their intentions and communicate over the close season I think.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 21:24 I don’t want to be a party pooper and I’m delighted that we’ve won the league BUT...

Let’s just remember that this was a season spent in regional football with a full-time squad of professional footballers playing against part-time opposition. I would love it if we could achieve back-to-back promotions and return from non-league football (because that’s what the National League is too) to the actual football league.

Should that be achieved I would be genuinely happy but this joy would still be tempered by the FACT that we will have only returned to the place we were before we became really shit. I’m really not trying to put a downer on things. I think Gary Johnson has done a magnificent job in turning around our fortunes and I sincerely hope he can galvanise us for a promotion push next season too.

I would also like to highlight that nobody really knows the true intentions/motivation of our owner and that he could pull the plug on investment in the club whenever he sees fit.

Just want there to be a bit of balance on the forum. That’s all.
Totally agree and I nearly posted the same kind of thing myself. Far from being negative its pure realism.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

After 3/4 seasons in free fall we have turned a corner today and I think it deserves celebrating !!!!!! I am sure next season holds new challenges but that's for next season. The next 3 matches will be party time for us. After some tough years we deserve it!!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

F**k it! Let's get carried away! This doesn't happen very often.... let's f**king enjoy it!!!!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

I bet your a barrel of laughs at a party 😩
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ha Ha - I don't think any Torquay United supporter will ever get carried away.

You can only beat whats in front of you so the players and management deserve all the credit they get - so a ridiculous thread, just enjoy it.

A lot of these players were unsung - Mcdonald. Wynter, Niate, Cameron, Keating, Reid so they have all done brilliantly.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Couldn't you have just waited at least 24 hours before posting this? You know, just let us enjoy they moment for a short while anyway
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

I agree it's not the greatest standard opposition, but on the other side of the coin first it's hard arresting a slide of lack of confidence, doom and gloom and disinterest. We've done that. And secondly, even if they were smaller inferior opposition, for many of these teams playing us was their big game and they would have raised their game like division one clubs must do when Sunderland visit, or Man City when they were there. And even Man C and Liverpool slip up if they're taking it easy and the opposition are on their game (Woking beat Swindon remember). yet this Torquay team under GJ has still won almost every game.

Ultimately, I think the owners have to get their new stadium complex with extras for us to progress as to do well and punch above our attendances we need revenue on top of gate money, and it's what will keep the owners interested and keep investing money in as they have no emotional reason to. BUT, only if Plainmoor remains our home until the first game at that new stadium
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I know exactly where the author of the original post is coming from, there is stormy weather ahead. But today, or yesterday rather was a day for celebration.
The remarkable thing about this season is how Gary Johnson took a squad of under motivated and underachieving players and without spending a fortune turned them into champions. He got loanees to play with passion and that is no mean feat when you consider some of the dross we got in in the last few years.
The positives for next season is we will have a settled squad needing just a few additions to tweak it instead of going through the usual rumour mill during the close season and finding we've signed some real lemons.