Our League Form under Gary Johnson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

As always WHG it is based on points earned against points available.
Won 3 drew 3 equals 12 points from 9 games therefore 12 into 27 is 44%.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

A win rate is number of games won outright, not points gained. So the the win rate 33%.
Impster
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Paul Dobson! Or not

Post by Impster »

I've been watching your progress these last few months... what's changed? Has he used his contacts to bring in good young loan players?

Anyway I am delighted you're on the way back and hope - and think - you'll do when next season too.

What about off pitch issues? What's the situation there now.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Impster wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 19:18 I've been watching your progress these last few months... what's changed? Has he used his contacts to bring in good young loan players?

Anyway I am delighted you're on the way back and hope - and think - you'll do when next season too.

What about off pitch issues? What's the situation there now.
He's largely used the same players that were here before, the only ones he's brought in are Janneh and Sendles-White, he's actually got rid of far more plaers, we have a pretty small squad now. Janneh has scored a hatful of goals but he's not the sole reason for us doing well. It can only be explained as a highly experienced man motivator of a manager who knows exactly what he's doing compared to Owers being absolutely useless (I'm ashamed I supported him during our NL season - he was a decent bloke but his management was awful, especially the NLS matches). It's a perfect example of how switching a manager can really turn things around, when people say don't sack managers because a new manager is going to have to use the same players....well look at the results.

Off the pitch issues have gone a bit quiet at the moment as the ownership seem to have taken a step back in their stadium ambitions, likely due to the impending local elections and abolition of Torbay's elected mayor. No point discussing matters with a lame duck mayor. Johnson has also embraced the 'public face' of the club role far better than Owers, which means that the ownership don't have to make their presence felt that much. Honestly if he left in the summer (god forbid) he'd probably have already cemented himself as one of the club's most popular managers. Also the recent success has made the more casual/less clued in fans to overlook the hidden issues at the club. When problems were peaking around September time, it was driven to a large extent by the dire on the field situation.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 20:58 The question is where does GJ rank on the list of all time great Torquay managers?
For the complete turn around of the fortunes of Torquay! Would he head into the number one spot?
Interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions views! Especially from those that have followed the Gulls for many a year?
Well he will certainly sit amongst the likes of Frank O'Farrell, Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior, Cyril Knowles. For me it is not the ranking that is important rather it is the speed in which GJ has turned the club around in getting the players and fans to buy into his vision of success. For that alone he has my vote.
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

MellowYellow wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 20:22 Well he will certainly sit amongst the likes of Frank O'Farrell, Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior, Cyril Knowles. For me it is not the ranking that is important rather it is the speed in which GJ has turned the club around in getting the players and fans to buy into his vision of success. For that alone he has my vote.
And also with pretty much the same squad Owers had!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

portugull wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 17:40 In 29 games the team has won 22 drawn 4 and lost just 3.Out of a possible 87 points we have got 70 points a win rate of 80%

By any standards in pro football this is an extraordinary achievement.

Gary was an instant success winning 6 and drawing 3. in his first 9 games. A win rate of 77%

The first 9 games of the season before he arrived we won 3 lost 3 and drew 3 a win rate of 44%
Not to get too pedantic about this, but these 'win rates' are incorrect.

Win rate = number of wins/number of games.

First 9 of the season (Owers): Won 3. Win rate of 33.3% (a third)
Gary Johnson's 29 games in charge: Won 22. Win rate of 76%
Johnson's first 9 games: Won 6. Win rate of 66.67% (two thirds)

If you want to express these stats as "points won from total availale points on offer", that's a different metric, not win percentage.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

:goodpost:
MellowYellow wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 20:22 Well he will certainly sit amongst the likes of Frank O'Farrell, Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior, Cyril Knowles. For me it is not the ranking that is important rather it is the speed in which GJ has turned the club around in getting the players and fans to buy into his vision of success. For that alone he has my vote.
:goodpost: I agree the turnaround has been incredible with almost the same team. We can all remember the dark days of August toxic atmosphere and the team going nowhere! The turnaround in Jamie Reed is a story in itself. I
Once we seal promotion GJ certainly has to take his rightful place among the all time great Torquay managers.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Guys I can see were you are coming from and maybe I should have defined that in all my calculations I always include draws simply because all points earned matter at the season end.

Wikipedia states "A win % is the fraction of games a team has won and it is defined as wins plus draws plus losses"

I think we must beg to differ.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

portugull wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:16 Guys I can see were you are coming from and maybe I should have defined that in all my calculations I always include draws simply because all points earned matter at the season end.

Wikipedia states "A win % is the fraction of games a team has won and it is defined as wins plus draws plus losses"

Anybody can post anything on Wikipedia so I'd take that info with a pinch of salt.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

portugull wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:16 Guys I can see were you are coming from and maybe I should have defined that in all my calculations I always include draws simply because all points earned matter at the season end.

Wikipedia article actually says; It is defined as wins divided by the total number of matches played (i.e. wins plus draws plus losses). A draw counts as a ​1⁄2 win. . So I think you were maybe counting a draw as a half a win, which, ok I could see, sort of.

but...then...lower down in that same Wikipedia article you quote it says "However, in soccer, a manager's abilities may be measured by win percentage. In this case, the formula is wins divided by total number of matches; draws are not considered as "half-wins", and the quotient is always in percentage form.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Whatever the formula is/should be .......GJ has delivered a stellar management performance since his appointment !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

That is why I keep it simple and fair to the Manager by always basing the percentage so as to include draws.

Gary Johnson has 4 games to go and will have Managed 33 games with a potential 99 points.

Win 3 and lose one and Gary will still hit 80% which will be a phenomenal achievement by any standard.

Last comment I always use points achieved because that is what matters at the end of the season not how many games you won.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The problem of using points achieved is that in my estimation a point 'won' in a home draw is actually two points dropped. So is not a positive achievement.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Launceston Gull »

Assigning a pecking order to managers is always going to be subjective eg Shankly or Paisley, take your pick. My own measure is achieve something memorable, maybe against the odds and if possible do it over a sustained period. I`m a fan of GJ he`s class but for me its way too soon to label him as one of Torquays best ever. Frank O`Farrell got us promoted from tier 4 to league 3 in his first season 1965-66. 1966-67 finished 7th,1967-68 finished 4th missing promotion to league 2 (Championship) by 2 points (exl goal diff). He`s THE MAN... or possibly Eric Webber haha. Let the arguments begin