TUFC Fans Banned?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

TheElk92 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:25 Though yourself and others are condoning the (hypothetical) banning of these supporters? I respect that rules are in place. Otherwise you could have complete anarchy. The way the rules are enforced suggests that there is a level of consideration taking into account for the incident in question. Incursions small scale and large happen every single season in every single league, though banning orders do not always following, depending on the specificity of the incident.

Yes, it is unlikely that any of those punishments will be enforced. Again, this is something regularly trotted out on here re. points deductions. Hereford fans were throwing rocks at Stockport support on Saturday, to put our game into a little context. I think they're much more likely to see some form of punishment.

I'm not arguing that people who didn't go on the pitch are less passionate or care less. It's like choosing whether to stand on the terrace, or sit in the stand. It's a question of choice and individual expression that has no reflection on how 'big' a supporter you are. Again, football is unique because its fan culture is passionate and expresses itself in different ways. It's a broad church.

I just find it disappointing that often throughout my time following Torquay, we've been very quick to throw our own under the bus in the name of upholding rules and regulations. The club is seeing a rejuvenation in support that is bringing young people through the gates in impressive numbers. Do some of them act up a bit? Yes. That's young people. Do they care about the club and their hometown? Yes. It's important to remember this when accusing people of being criminals, thugs etc.

God knows, not long ago, it looked like TUFC would never be close enough to a football pitch to contemplate invading it.
Good post. Some reasoned points there and it's hard to disagree.

My only comment would be that by invading the pitch they are committing a criminal act and whilst it's not like robbing a bank it's still a law and that needs to be respected regardless of mitigation. If we all got let off when breaking laws when getting a bit too carried away then there wouldn't be much point in having any laws.

Therefore i feel a small fine would be probably the most appropriate thing in this case. Just my opinion though and i appreciate all your points.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:42 Perhaps i'm being too inflexible with my opinion and perhaps fines would be more appropriate?
Perhaps you should stick to your own club and stop berating those who enjoyed the brilliant atmosphere at Kingfield on Saturday.

No fines need to be dished out. No banning orders issued. It was a celebration that the Yellow Army have been craving for years FFS! As a non-Torquay United fan you would just not understand the emotion that Wynter's goal sparked.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I do worry for this over-sanitised version of football that many of you seem to crave. Sadly I couldn't be there on Saturday but the atmosphere sounded immense and it must have been wonderful to be in the away stand when Wynter's equaliser flew in. This is football, not the theatre, and the atmosphere is a big part of what made us all fall in love with the sport.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I've just seen a bit of film of it on twitter. A few fans briefly on the pitch to celebrate with players the goal that all but secures the first time any of us have seen Torquay win a league. It may be only the National League South but we're on our way back! Sad that some fans want others banned or fined for this.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

What an absolutely bonkers thread.

There were fans of all ages who spilled on to celebrate the winner with the players, some of which were excitable youngsters yes but also older regular fans who go to home and away games too. And who can blame them - how often do you get a chance to celebrate a goal as important as that?

There was no malice - it was genuine fans celebrating one of those special moments that are so few and far between as a TUFC supporter. Take a look at any of the highlights of big matches and vital wins from years gone by (e.g Barnet away, Crewe in 87) and you’ll see people invading the pitch - sometimes passionate celebrations escalate. Said passion and emotion is what makes atmosphere at the footy what it is - if we all sat on our hands and cheered quietly as to avoid making too much noise when a goal goes in then it wouldn’t be much fun would it. There are some absolute snowflakes on here - punch-ups like the disgusting scenes we unfortunately witnessed at Bath warrant a ban, yes, but banning people for celebrating a last minute equaliser with the players which effectively seals us the title? Get a grip.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Don't condone it but i would also don't want less passionate fans

Current climate I hate that saying!!!!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

United62 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:57 Perhaps you should stick to your own club and stop berating those who enjoyed the brilliant atmosphere at Kingfield on Saturday.

No fines need to be dished out. No banning orders issued. It was a celebration that the Yellow Army have been craving for years FFS! As a non-Torquay United fan you would just not understand the emotion that Wynter's goal sparked.
Perhaps you are right, although i haven't supported any club now for a number of years just to be factually correct. I just watch whoever, whenever and follow a select few very closely. I like your passion and you are definitely right on the last bit. I wouldn't now understand that level of emotion to be felt personally for what was such a significant event in the recent history of TUFC but i can certainly appreciate the concept of that emotional outpouring.

However, that doesn't necessarily make my points invalid.
TheElk92
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by TheElk92 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:55 Good post. Some reasoned points there and it's hard to disagree.

My only comment would be that by invading the pitch they are committing a criminal act and whilst it's not like robbing a bank it's still a law and that needs to be respected regardless of mitigation. If we all got let off when breaking laws when getting a bit too carried away then there wouldn't be much point in having any laws.

Therefore i feel a small fine would be probably the most appropriate thing in this case. Just my opinion though and i appreciate all your points.

Likewise. I don't necessarily disagree with your point re. fining invasions more broadly. I do though think it needs to be considered on a case by case basis. There was nothing malicious on Saturday though like you mentioned, it can be in other cases.

Agree to (somewhat) disagree!
TUST Member.
TheElk92
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TheElk92 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:26 I have to say that spending most of my weekends doing security at different sporting events around the country and trying to stop smoke bombs and flares etc getting in, it was a strange feeling to be stood on the terraces observing the smoke with the noise etc with a sense of pride in the following of my football club. I can see both sides of the argument and I guess its left me with a question as to which side I agree with. It was pretty impressive to be a part of it all.
It certainly makes for a spectacle. On a slight tangent, it's interesting that some stadiums in the States, such as at Orlando City, have designated areas for the use of pyro as it's recognised as bringing colour and atmosphere (and therefore all important $$$) into the grounds.
TUST Member.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

TheElk92 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:02 It certainly makes for a spectacle. On a slight tangent, it's interesting that some stadiums in the States, such as at Orlando City, have designated areas for the use of pyro as it's recognised as bringing colour and atmosphere (and therefore all important $$$) into the grounds.
This is something i've been advocating for a while now. IMO there needs to be specific sections at home and away games for fans who want a more 'vibrant' experience at games and fans who are this way inclined can take in flags, drums, controlled pyro or whatever.

The issue we have at lots of grounds nowadays is that fans all want different things when they go to a game. I think we all agree that a group of lads bouncing up and down with flags and smoke bombs stood around young kids and elderly people, or just people who don't appreciate being exposed to this sort of fanaticism isn't going to end well.

If there was a specific section for example at the end of a stand specifically for all this stuff where likeminded fans can go and create an awesome atmosphere whilst at the same time not impacting of those who want a quieter atmosphere then that would be the way forward for me. The issue we have nowadays is that everyone is mingled together and everyone has a different way of supporting their team and that creates problems.

In many ways it's embarrassing how a game (soccer) considered minor a few years ago in the States is now showing us how things should be done. They are spot on with these 'pyro' areas and spot on about the way fans can interact and drink alcohol etc.

I'm not against bringing pyro into grounds and all that stuff so long as it's in specific areas that everyone knows about and it's regulated. At the moment we have the scenario of a few scrotes just letting off the odd flare or smoke bomb around others who have no choice but to be exposed to this simply by the fact they are unwitting sat / stood near to them. This is the main problem IMO and not so much that smoke bombs / flares etc are being brought into grounds.

If you want a quiet, more cerebral day at the footy then stay well away from the pyro end and then nobody can have any complaints because everyone knows which area they prefer to be in and where they stand.

I definitely think it's something worth campaigning for.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Running onto the pitch is, for Torquay United, a fairly recent phenomenon. The first time I observed this behaviour was at the 'great escape' game (TUFC vs Crewe Alexandra) in May 1987. Before that it was unknown. The Codgery will back me up on this; certainly there was no pitch incursion at the 1965 Spurs game or during the 1965-6 promotion season. Even at the height of the glory days no-one ran onto the pitch (or, if they did, it was an individual rather than a group moment). The influence of television, of course, is the determining factor here.
TheElk92
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TheElk92 »

wivelgull wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:39 Running onto the pitch is, for Torquay United, a fairly recent phenomenon. The first time I observed this behaviour was at the 'great escape' game (TUFC vs Crewe Alexandra) in May 1987. Before that it was unknown. The Codgery will back me up on this; certainly there was no pitch incursion at the 1965 Spurs game or during the 1965-6 promotion season. Even at the height of the glory days no-one ran onto the pitch (or, if they did, it was an individual rather than a group moment). The influence of television, of course, is the determining factor here.

I don't argue with the initial strand of your input as I'm not in position to do so, though if I'm understanding the latter part correctly, you're suggesting that fans only ran on the pitch to get themselves on TV?

If this is your argument, then I'd firstly refer to other people's posts, mentioning the wide age range of the invaders. It wasn't all just young kids who I'm assuming you think are most likely to want to have their moment of fame.

Secondly and more to the point, if this is indeed the motive (to get on TV), then why not invade for all three goals? Maybe, just maybe, it's because this was a goal of great magnitude, setting us on course to become league champions for the first time in all our lifetimes (albeit NLS).

I'd suggest in that split second, people are not considering being on TV or what they've seen on TV, but just the pure desire to celebrate and be close to the players.
TUST Member.
TheElk92
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TheElk92 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:22 This is something i've been advocating for a while now. IMO there needs to be specific sections at home and away games for fans who want a more 'vibrant' experience at games and fans who are this way inclined can take in flags, drums, controlled pyro or whatever.

The issue we have at lots of grounds nowadays is that fans all want different things when they go to a game. I think we all agree that a group of lads bouncing up and down with flags and smoke bombs stood around young kids and elderly people, or just people who don't appreciate being exposed to this sort of fanaticism isn't going to end well.

If there was a specific section for example at the end of a stand specifically for all this stuff where likeminded fans can go and create an awesome atmosphere whilst at the same time not impacting of those who want a quieter atmosphere then that would be the way forward for me. The issue we have nowadays is that everyone is mingled together and everyone has a different way of supporting their team and that creates problems.

In many ways it's embarrassing how a game (soccer) considered minor a few years ago in the States is now showing us how things should be done. They are spot on with these 'pyro' areas and spot on about the way fans can interact and drink alcohol etc.

I'm not against bringing pyro into grounds and all that stuff so long as it's in specific areas that everyone knows about and it's regulated. At the moment we have the scenario of a few scrotes just letting off the odd flare or smoke bomb around others who have no choice but to be exposed to this simply by the fact they are unwitting sat / stood near to them. This is the main problem IMO and not so much that smoke bombs / flares etc are being brought into grounds.

If you want a quiet, more cerebral day at the footy then stay well away from the pyro end and then nobody can have any complaints because everyone knows which area they prefer to be in and where they stand.

I definitely think it's something worth campaigning for.
Well said. I would offer that there's political and financial influences in the English game that act as a pretty significant barrier to any drastic change. The Premier League wield an incredible amount of power and they quite like their 'product' as it is. :red:
TUST Member.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:22
IMO there needs to be specific sections at home and away games for fans who want a more 'vibrant' experience at games and fans who are this way inclined can take in flags, drums, controlled pyro or whatever.

If you want a more "cerebral day" then bugger off to the rugby with the other dreary Ruperts! ;-)

As for your other point, well this is already the case at pretty much every ground in the country. Those who like to sing stand together and sing, those who don't choose to stand elsewhere. It's not rocket science and we don't need the bloody authorities telling us in which sections we can do it.
JakeB
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by JakeB »

At the end of the day it's just passionate fans spilling onto the pitch after what seemed to be an impossible comeback, some of us like to celebrate more than others I guess