Woking FC v Torquay United 6/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Cards fan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Cards fan »

I do agree with Fred that the playoffs won't be easy and there are some other good teams involved. But if we can replicate that performance again over the whole 90 mins I think we have nothing to fear.

2 points out of 9 is not great, but draws against Bath and Torquay weren't terrible results it was only the game against Slough where we let ourselves down.

Anyway if you win 19 out of 23 games that is always going to make it difficult to catch you so you will deserve the title.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Cards fan wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 21:40 Woking fan in peace.

I thought today was a great advert for football at this level. Great game and atmosphere (apart from a few idiots) with comfortably the 2 best teams in this division all season and I think they showed why today.

In my, possibly biased, opinion I thought we were the better team for most of the game and should have seen it through but Torquay put the pressure on at the end. It's probably what has cost us this season in the end that we haven't finished teams off when we've been on top.

Anyway, congratulations as I assume that you go on to win league now, and I expect you would have done regardless of the result today.

Although the playoffs can be a bit of a lottery I don't think there is a better team than Woking or Torquay this season so hopefully we will be able to see the job through and join you back in the NL next season.
We're not over the line yet and I don't count chickens! But let's just say we're feeling quietly (or noisily) confident tonight. I hope Woking come up with us. They were unlucky to be relegated with us last season and they are a team which should be in the National League. Besides which, games against them are always good contests.

But Cards fan will well know the Play Offs won't be easy. Last season, Dartford finished second on goal difference (three goals) but it was Braintree - 17 points behind Dartford - that won the Play Offs. Not that it has done them much good. They are coming back down again. There are teams hitting form at the right time - Chelmsford, Dartford and especially Wealdstone have given us hard games recently. Welling have been pegging along in third or fourth place all season, so they can't be discounted. And Bath have looked a tidy side, but I don't think they will be the greatest threat. Anyway, good luck Woking - look forward to meeting you again in the National next season. :scarf:
Watford Gull sort of
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Watford Gull sort of »

Great result and excellent resolve to come from 3-1 down. Looks pretty good now and only a major balls up can stop you now.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I thought we were pretty poor today and looked jaded. Woking hassled and harried well in the first half and when Hall went off early, the concern was we were going to be overrun in midfield. Their 3 and 8 were also causing some problems down our right hand side. And their 9, Luer, had scored two very well taken goals by that stage, albeit Gerring fouled Koue Niate off the ball in the build up to the first.

I see Keating has possibly suffered a depressed cheek fracture and have heard Asa Hall was told by Woking players they were going to target his bad back before Gerring clattered him in the back causing him to shortly after go off.

I did think Woking left their foot in unpunished rather too often in that first period and Janneh and Kalala in particular did not appear to relish the prospect of potential injury with every attempt at the ball. That said, on a poor day for Janneh, back from injury and looking out of sorts for long parts compared to his usual all action displays, he provided an absolute peach of a pass for our first and scored the second. Kalala, unfortunately, didn’t get out of the starting blocks today, which was a pity as it’s great to see him in full stride.

As a side, we infuriatingly went aerial far too often against a side better equipped to deal and our height disadvantage was worrying at corners throughout, and particularly during the first half. Our set piece goal from a corner, long to Koue Niate who nodded it back across the goal for Janneh, was the best executed restart of the game, though.

Reid was my MOTM for his total commitment and effort throughout. A nicely taken goal, too. He totally did Gerring for that sending off as well. And I rather enjoyed that. I thought Lemonhaigh-Evans did well after Hall was substituted and MacDonald produced a great save when Woking broke at, I think, 3-1 up. May have still been 2-1, I’m not sure. He seemed to spill it straight after or not completely have control of the ball, but it was cleared to safety. Made himself big at the right time and stopped a certain goal, though.

My recollection of our third is hazy - I was still a bit ‘pumped’ after Gerring’s sending off - but I’m reliably informed that Wynter latched onto the loose ball after Dickson’s long throw wasn’t cleared by Woking. Cue delirium.

We didn’t play well, but we got a point. We refuse to give up and showed great character at the end. I think we have now done enough, provided we are as competitive as we have been. The three tough matches in 7 days caught up with us today and we may well be without Hall and Keating next week. But in the end, this really was a draw that felt like a win.

MacDonald 6 Don’t think he could do anything about any of their well taken goals and prevented another
Wynter 6 Was second best to their 3 and 8 in that first half, but scored that well received goal. 3-1, but he didn’t f*** it up. Woking did.
Cameron 7 Solid.
Koue Niate 6 He is not where he was earlier in the season and Cameron is a much better option than both JYKN and JSW. I think JSW will regain the shirt next week
Davis 7 Solid. Some decent runs. I like him. I haven’t seen him have a bad game. That helps.
Keating 6 He looked lively until cynically fouled and forced off. Maybe we’ll be seeing him in a Zorro mask for the run-in. Get well soon.
Hall 6 Like much of the team, he hadn’t settled by the time he went, but as we know, he was the one most likely to settle us until cynically shoved in his back by the same cretin
CLE 7 Stepped up when Hall went off. Showed tenacity and bite. Bypassed by the long stuff.
Kalala 4 Poor today.
Janneh 5.5 Perhaps mindful of recent injury or still feeling some effects of it, he was not as energetic today. But provided the pass of the day and got a goal.
Reid 7.5 Never stopped. Good goal. Cynically fouled warranting his cretinous assailant a second yellow. Actually, Reidy done the mug good and proper.

Andrews 6 Did ok in the middle, but we weren’t all that today and no chance to shine there. At least, if Hall is out/rested, he had a good hour playing there with CLE today as match practice.
Dickson 6 I thought he was Vincent until Vincent came on. I need to get out more. Didn’t do an awful lot of note.

Vincent 6.5 Got stuck in from the off, I thought.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

A good analysis of the match by Rjc70.

Has there ever been a draw that felt that much better than a win? When we were bouncing on the terrace you just knew how utterly gutted they must have been feeling -their one chance to catch us and they blew it. And all thanks to Gerring who got himself sent off with with a needless challenge - an extra man in the box could have made all the difference for the Wynter goal. Thanks you c**t - I’ll stop singing songs about you now.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Completely agree with rjc70, that through ball for our first was absolutely delightful. I would add that MacDonalds kicking was atrocious, though! He made a great save in the second half to keep us in it, though!

Our goals all came whenever we got the ball down for a few minutes and played it, instead of punting it long. It'll take time to change a habit of taking the easy route and booting it long, but it will be crucial if we are to do well next season. We look like a genuinely good football side, and the fans never complained or moaned when a passing move breaks down, whereas long balls coming to nothing were the subject of many a groan.

Yellow Army were truly the 12th man. Unpopular opinion, but I'm sure the small group of fans screaming proper abuse at Gerring from the barrier (and getting moved by the stewards) were a factor in the red; once he cupped his ear to us as they scored our third you knew he was over-pumped.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Before the match we were 7 points clear with 5 games for Torquay & Woking left. Now that it is 7 points clear with both sides having 4 games left, the pressure is on Woking to get something at Chelmsford. The late equalising goal by Torquay, really takes the pressure off Torquay. Hopefully, the home match against Eastbourne will be a less nervy affair.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Woking looked very dangerous going forward.
At half time I thought they'd score a third and have a player sent off.
I didn't think we'd score two goals in the last ten minutes - but it was rather enjoyable when we did!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

vlog from yesterday as promised! COYY
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Midlandgull wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 13:54 vlog from yesterday as promised! COYY
Excellent :-D
TUST No 278
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks, enjoyed that !!
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Very good that!!!
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Ruairi out for the season......fractured cheekbone and eyesocket
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Get well soon Ruiri, thanks for the massive improvement in your game time recently, I for one had my doubts but you've proved your worth & more, so sorry for doubting you.
Coyy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What a great advert for non league football that was, I’ve watched Torquay games for 30 years and when the equaliser went in i/we went mental has to be up there with the greatest away day. I don’t condone the pitch invasion but emotions can sometimes justify it. As for the game we where poor, continually chasing pumped up balls,no passing. Wokings 3rd was a great goal, our second was chasing a lost cause but he somehow headed it back into janneh. As for gerring, you couldn’t make it up could you even though he should have gone in the 1st half . We kind of sensed an equaliser then. But Woking went close to making it 4-3. Nice to see police keep the Woking knobs locked in at the end so we could leave. Overall I didn’t think we deserved the draw, but results like that is why we will be champions this season.
Lucy