Torquay United v Wealdstone 30/3/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Criticising Reid is totally ridiculous - bloody hell he has scored again - what do you exactly want for Christ sake?

I did say this game was more important than the Woking match and I think the result actually proves that.

The Chelmsford game makes the Woking match even more insignificant. One more massive effort on Tuesday - lets hope we get a big crowd. Even a draw wouldn't be the end of the world. We are in a fantastic position at the moment.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

brucie wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 20:45 Criticising Reid is totally ridiculous - bloody hell he has scored again - what do you exactly want for Christ sake?

I did say this game was more important than the Woking match and I think the result actually proves that.

The Chelmsford game makes the Woking match even more insignificant. One more massive effort on Tuesday - lets hope we get a big crowd. Even a draw wouldn't be the end of the world. We are in a fantastic position at the moment.

Totally agree, win on Tuesday and the woking result doesn’t matter, it would be a free hit for us. I would go as far as saying a win on Tuesday would almost guarantee the title!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Wealdstone were certainly a different kettle of fish to the team we beat with ease in the autumn. Our hardest home game of the season
Don't particularly like him but think Bobby Wilkinson is a very good manager. Poor penalty from Reidy - hit em high ! but ridiculous comments from Culmstock who seems to prefer the Wealdstone striker. If he took all the chances that he gets in position for or makes for himself, which is credit to him he would have scored about 150 goals this season. What did Jimmy Greaves reckon - was pleased if he took 1 in 5 chances/half chances wasn't it
Anyway great battling performance , win Tuesday and avoid defeat at Woking and we are almost there
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Fantastic result and character from the whole team and management today. Bath City a big thanks also. Wealdstone are fighting there lives to get into the playoffs so they are no mugs, but neither are we.
I might sound crazy but if are to win this league, the Weston defeat was the turning point.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

WHAT A MATCH! Those of us who were there this afternoon will remember it for some time. The most entertaining game I have seen at Plainmoor for many a season. As others have posted, Wealdstone are the best side we have played against at Plainmoor this season and if I was a Wealdstone fan, I'd be sorry we didn't get a point. Good summaries of the game from Portugull and Forever. Well done to Wealdstone for contributing to a great game which was a great advert for National League South football.

I'm with Brucie - one game at a time! Chelmsford will be another challenging game on Tuesday night. We didn't quite get over the 3000 attendance mark today, but I reckon we will on Tuesday night. Thank you, Gary Johnson (and the players), for restoring our faith in Torquay Utd.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I wasn't there but I can't see the point of congratulating Wealdstone to be honest.

We were 2-0 and 3-1 up and missed a penalty for 4-1 - could have been a turning point perhaps as they got a goal back but had we scored the penalty its probably another shellacking. In fact given that we hit the post at 3-2 were Wealdstone really that unlucky?

Since the fluke result against Weston we've gone to Billericay and won emphatically. We've beaten Dartford emphatically despite playing with ten men for 80 minutes in a monsoon. We've gone to Concord Rangers and beaten the team with the best home record in the division. Today we've beaten the team with the best away record in the league.

What this suggests to me is we are by far the best team in the division and are deservedly top. Chelmsford will be a hard game but theres every chance they are going to go the same way as the aforementioned teams - nothing to fear and everything to gain.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

As you say Brucie, you weren't there. Wealdstone hit the post early in the game and MacDonald made a great diving save to push the ball round the post at 2 - 1. They closed us down quickly, forcing mistakes. They had done their homework on us, marking Kalala closely and quickly closing down Lemonheigh-Evans whenever he got the ball. If we had won 4 - 1, it would have been a flattering scoreline and believe me, there were about 2600 very nervous Gulls fans in those last 15 minutes. IF Wealdstone continue to play like that, they will be in the Play Offs ...... and be a definite threat.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Jake Andrews? Was he on the bench today, or is he injured? If he was on the bench, I thought GJ would have brought him on for the last five minutes or so rather than Vincent, although the young Bournemouth lad did okay in the time he was on.
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Two questions
Why was their player not sent of for the Reid penalty foul? surely he was last man
When their no 12 was booked, was he the player that committed the foul ? Thought it was 10 or 11, both were on a booking before
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

brucie wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 23:21 I wasn't there but I can't see the point of congratulating Wealdstone to be honest.

We were 2-0 and 3-1 up and missed a penalty for 4-1 - could have been a turning point perhaps as they got a goal back but had we scored the penalty its probably another shellacking. In fact given that we hit the post at 3-2 were Wealdstone really that unlucky?

Since the fluke result against Weston we've gone to Billericay and won emphatically. We've beaten Dartford emphatically despite playing with ten men for 80 minutes in a monsoon. We've gone to Concord Rangers and beaten the team with the best home record in the division. Today we've beaten the team with the best away record in the league.

What this suggests to me is we are by far the best team in the division and are deservedly top. Chelmsford will be a hard game but theres every chance they are going to go the same way as the aforementioned teams - [highlight=yellow]nothing to fear [/highlight]and everything to gain.
Except the referee, eh brucie ?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

kerswellgull wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 00:30 Two questions
Why was their player not sent of for the Reid penalty foul? surely he was last man
When their no 12 was booked, was he the player that committed the foul ? Thought it was 10 or 11, both were on a booking before
I imagine this falls under the new (ish) double jeopardy law, whereby if you give away a penalty you don't also get a red card (unless deliberate foul or offence a red card in itself). The radio commentary cited the Niate red card vs this as an inconsistency that infuriates fans, but the big difference was that Niate stopped their striker having a shot and conceded a free kick, so the punishment was the red card. Today their player conceded a penalty, which was the punishment, so there's no red card as well. I'm not a qualified referee, but I think this law's been in place since about the start of last season, so unless the referee thought it was a foul with no intention of winning the ball, a yellow card is correct and there's no inconsistency between this and the Niate foul. 'Last man' is a TV pundit term and has never been the basis of a decision in itself.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 23:21
..... Today we've beaten the team with the best away record in the league........
Not quite true. I know what you are driving at but we have the best equal away record as, with Woking, we have 37 points from away matches and Wealdstone actually have 31 points.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Andrews has a toe injury - apparently rested with a view to Tuesday night., but he has been missing for two or three games so not sure how fit he is.

One things for sure we can ill afford any injuries or suspensions.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Think we will see changes for Tuesday. Jamie Sendles-White was limping after the game, Kalvin Kalala also took a few knocks and I didn’t think Saikou Janneh looked fit either.
Think squad will be stretched!
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

EddUK12 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 07:57
Has anybody else got annoyed with both officals and players sighting that they got the ball so it cant be a foul? It is possible to foul a player and get the ball.
I think you mean citing 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com