Torquay United v Wealdstone 30/3/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 17:52

Just need to defend corners better.
And score penalties!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

A frustrating win. We can play so much better than that. We really need to shore up the defence and we were caught with our pants down on two or three occasions when over-committed up front. Wealdstone were an odd team: flashes of quality, but also a fair bit of ugly football. I thought they were lucky to finish with 11 men on the pitch. A lot of grabbing, hauling, late tackles, etc, some of which the ref had to be blind not to see. I was certainly glad when the game finished...
TUST member 203
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Great 3 points today against, what I thought, were the best team to visit Plainmoor this season. They had all the attributes with some skill, pace, guts, and yes ‘professionalism’ in that they ‘knew’ what they were doing. That, I think is why we weren’t at our best today because we weren’t allowed to be.
My concern for Tuesday is how much this game has taken out of us. There were a few walking wounded at the end and the size of our squad is not great as people have been alluding to.
Anyway enjoy today and another big effort required Tuesday. COYY
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Hugh sigh of relief at the end of that one. I thought Wealdstone did ok. They brought a few fans that made some noise and gave it a real go. The Reid penalty miss to make it 4-1 and them going straight down the other end and making it 3-2 had me at thinking of Bath away. I thought we did really well today holding on for the win. It's just results that matter now. Being full time and at home we should have a big advantage on Tuesday with both sides playing today!! Great to see Bath do us a favour today as well!!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

That was a huge effort. Very pleased to hear the final whistle. That was a real tough test today. Fair play to Wealdstone, they just didn't give in, physically or mentally, they just kept on coming. They were extremely strong and made us fight right to the end. I agree with GJ that if Wealdstone make the play offs they will be very difficult opposition.
We were certainly not at our best today and I give Wealdstone credit for disrupting our game. Of course we are all happy with the 3 points however we got caught on the break several times. We just couldn't get our passing game going consistently today.
What we do have is that bit extra quality when we need it.
Well done to the Yellow army today, excellent voice.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The important thing about today's outcome is that if we lose the next two matches we will still be top of the division.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

An exciting game in brilliant sunshine against a team who could well make the play-offs.
Wealdstone had noisy support from 192 fans and were very dangerous on the counter attack.
Their No 9 stood out as a very decent player.
Kalvins goal was one of those that 95 times out of 100 does not come off but he hit it so pure inches inside the near post on the volley and the keeper just failed to save the strike.
Seven minutes later Jamie Reid hassled the defender so well and scored through through sheer persistence.
The Stones got one back with a scruffy goal thus 2-1 at half time.
After Sendles -White got booked right in front the pop side Gary Johnson waited a few minutes and then made an astute substitution bringing on big Jean Koue Niate. Jean then scored with a flick header at the near post from a Lemonheigh- Evans corner.
At 3-1 it looked good but after Reidy earned a clear penalty the keeper got down to his right and saved and Wealdstone then scored from a corner the ball hitting the near post before going in.
A nervy 15 minutes followed but we survived and a vital 3 points giving United 4 straight wins since the shock defeat to Weston on March 2nd.
If we can defeat Chelmsford on Tuesday night we will be in a very strong position.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

A great result against the best team we have played this season. Phew!!!!
Marc T
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Marc T »

Good synopsis Portgull.

I felt "uneasy" throughout this game and was convinced that Wealdstone were going to snatch and equaliser or worse.
Best away team I've seen this season and some great fans too, a few I had a brief chat with after the game.

I really hope they make the play offs.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Sqeeky bum time again watching that thankfully Woking drew.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

While I agree with the majority of the comments so far I do not lay too much blame on the defence, they were at times overran by a fast team. I tried to count their players first half being convinced they had an extra player, they were bossing midfield. Hall looked tired from midway through the first half. I hope he rests well before Tuesday. Their first goal was offside and was signalled as such by the linesman on the Popside ,unfortunately the referee was running back towards the centre circle by this time and never once looked at the linesman until he consented to come back and have half a talk then over rule him, poor officiating. Having said that, they had a stone bonker penalty appeal for handball first half turned down which could have changed things.
I might as well stick my head above the parapet and say Reid had another poor game, yes I know he scored, but he scuffed three others and shot hopelessly off target for countless others, he panics too much in front of goal and does not know how to find the space in the oppositions final quarter. If he wishes to play down the centre as his preferred position then he needs to quickly learn that trade and should look no further than Wealdstone's centre forward who had all the tricks and knew how to compete and turn defenders. He would be a useful addition in the centre position for next season if he became available. I wait with baited breath to be slaughtered by those who feel that Reid walks on water and can do no wrong even if he was on the subs bench he would be one of the five man of the matches.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes fair play to Wealdstone, their performance today eclipsed that of Bath City who I thought were very good at Plainmoor, definitely the best team we've seen so far this season. It wasn't good for the nerves, but nice to see a team not park the bus and try and bore us out of the game, their fans were excellent also.

This would have a fantastic match for the neutral and wouldn't have been out of place on any TV channel, think Wealdstone will think justice was done on the penalty, they may have denied one in the first half when looked to have been a handball in our box, and was I alone in thinking the foul for our spot kick was outside the box ?

Must mention Ben Wynter, got to be the most improved player in our squad, very rarely seems to get credit, another top drawer performance from him today.

All in all, another great day for us, the Chelmsford match looking massive now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

bringbackthecowshed wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 17:32 Woking fans moaning on their forum that Bath's goal was offside, Shame!
Absolute rubbish as well. If you watch the video, their left back is playing everyone onside, so a perfectly valid goal. Gerring also loses his man.

www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

As Wealdstone came off most Torquay fans in Bristows Bench gave them a decent round of applause!! I know it's easy to be gracious in victory but I hope they make the play offs and go up. Obviously as long as we are champions!!
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Very good game 2 very attacking teams Wealdstone will feel unlucky they were a fantastic attacking team who I think could go up through the play offs they have strength and pace and quality when going forward and in defence and are a very motivated and well managed team. None of that should take away from our performance which was really good I think our only fault was we didn’t keep the ball on the ground enough. Ben wynter has improved massively and kalala is a real danger down the wing with keatings on the other wing causing havoc for defenders and asa Hall really commanded the midfield throughout the entire game however looked extremely tired by the end of the game. Cameron is a real gem in that defence he commands the back line which for somebody of his age is really remarkable I think macdonald didn’t have a great game he did pull of something good save some however he looks neoves when crosses are coming in.sendles white had a good game however the defence seemed more secure when niate came on who I think is a fantastic defender however does lack pace which can Ben dangerous at times but he does bring a lot to the table at set pieces.i personally thought that Davis didn’t have a great game over all as well which is very out of character for him however over all I think it was a good result over all and a good team performance Garry Johnson really has got these lads playing well a massive credit to him and the team