When will we be crowned Champions??

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Been there before, orient away, Burnley at home where we needed a point for auto promotion. So always nervous about predicting anything gulls related. But I've got a sneaky suspicion that we will go up v Eastbourne home, Woking to lose at bath, us to win the next 4. We appear to have tightened up at the back. Coyy we can do this.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

....when we stop counting chickens....
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 18:38 [highlight=yellow]Is anyone brave enough to predict if and when we may be crowned champions?[/highlight]
This may be a bold topic but I’m just putting it out there with results going our way last weekend and Woking having a tough game Saturday is it to soon to dream???

Here we go I am going for us needing to get a win at home against Eastbourne to clinch the title. I think we will go from strength to strength and Woking are going to implode...

COYY #daretodream 😂
Try composing a sentence including the words 'count' 'chickens' and 'hatched' and then think what will be all over your face if Woking do not implode and are crowned champions instead …..
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I can't help but feel in typical Torquay fashion, Woking will get something against Bath today and make things interesting...
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

stefano wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 08:21
1927 champions of the Southern League - a significant title as it saw us elected into the Football League Division 4 to replace Aberdare Athletic.

1927 does count though...... ;-)
Yes 1927 does count but we didn't win the Southern League. We won the Southern League Western Division; Brighton (winners of the Eastern Division) were crowned champions when they beat us 4-0 in the play off.

People talk about us winning the league and getting out of this league; we are in the National League at present and will still be in the National League next season. In fact the only way we could have got out of the National League for next season was to get relegated to the Southern League.
National League South is a division within the National League as is the National League Premier Division. The only way you win this league is to crowned champions of the Premier Division.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Top the table end of season equal champions. In all honesty if we did that it will be possibley the greatest achievement for me in 30 plus years of fanship. Possibley actually the 1st time at Wembley in Sherpa van trophy would be hard to top. Don't know why but the 2009 play off final now doesn't seem to rank as high as it did.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mike, personally I would have waited until after the Wealdstone and Chelmsford games before doing such a thread, but as you say it's ok to dream. We're at the business end of the season now, teams are, where they are in the league table on merit, both Wealdstone and Chelmsford are at the right end of the table because they're good sides at this level and capable of giving us more than bloody nose.

Stating the obvious, win these two and I think it's time to start getting excited about the winning the league as I don't think Woking will be able to overhaul us, as their remaining fixtures are no walk in the park either and can't see them getting maximum points, will give answer after Tuesdays game ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Still on a knife edge for me. In an ideal world, we win the next two and Woking get beat at Bath. In that scenario I will be putting the champagne on ice (or at least a couple of beers). Lose today, Woking win, Reid injured and Hall sent off and the mood changes considerably!! This is what keeps us coming year in year out and traveling hundreds of miles. Funny old game!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

People are reacting as if anything is really being taken for granted. It's a light-hearted thread so why does everyone assume it's tempting any kind of fate. So what if the OP ends up with egg on his face? I predicted some time ago that we would run out easy winners of this division and I still hold that belief. Do I think it has any effect on the outcome? Obviously not, it's just my opinion.

Woking to lose today, us to win comfortably and then a draw at home to Chelmsford before winning at Woking. I see us winning the division by 6-8 points in the end. If that turns out to be wrong, so what?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Interesting to see that the 'similar topic' recommended by the forum is called "Gulls can be League Two Champions..!!!" from this time of the season in 2012. 7 years ago on this very day we won 1-0 at Barnet to go 2nd in the league with 6 games to go. We even won the next game, but failed to win any of the last five, ended up in the play-offs, didn't get promoted and started more than 6 years of constant decline. Thankfully Gary Johnson then took over, ended the negative mood that was everywhere and those six years of decline have been long forgotten because of these six months.

We are going well at the moment, and Woking have hit a bad patch, but one moment can change a season, so we're not safe yet. By this time next week things will be a lot clearer - two wins for us and we can count as many chickens as we like. Even a win on Tuesday and a draw next week would be one hand on the trophy, but a draw/loss and a defeat, and Woking will be back within one result of re-taking the lead. However positive the last two weekends have been, they'll count for nothing if it's not seen through until the end of the season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lets be fair if we beat Chelmsford on Tuesday night we are almost there.

There would be no pressure on us at all going into the Woking game. Even having to play Woking away the likelihood of them turning over a seven point swing (plus another point for the superior goal difference) in 5 games would take some doing.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 20:51 Lets be fair if we beat Chelmsford on Tuesday night we are almost there.

There would be no pressure on us at all going into the Woking game. Even having to play Woking away the likelihood of them turning over a seven point swing (plus another point for the superior goal difference) in 5 games would take some doing.
I agree with Brucie
Lucy
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Beat Chelmsford on Tuesday and draw at woking on Saturday = champions in my opinion
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 21:07 I agree with Brucie
I agree with Lucy agreeing with brucie
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Let the players do the one game at a time thing. If people can’t talk winning the league what’s the point in supporting a football team? Enjoy it