Johnson in demand

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Johnson in demand

Post by arcadia »

Express this morning are saying Yeovil want Garry as their new manager. Would have thought he would stay as he seems to be enjoying it here.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Can't see it myself. Nothing mention on the Yeovil local rag's site. Not even in their list of bookies' favourites: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ds-2681268

Ex-Torquay defender Neale Marmon (never heard of him) seems to be next in line as caretaker.

I even heard the Bath City boss, Jerry Gill, was being mooted.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Spoke to a Yeovil supporting friend last night about this, He was very sceptical about any possibility of Johnson even being approached. Johnson seems to be loving life at Torquay so can't see him wanting to go anywhere else at present.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I read this in the Daily Express with picture, I think Garry would not leave until the end of the season even if he was interested. We will know if Clarke Osbourne is interested at the end of the season at the same time if it's true. Just hope he stays. :-D
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

What would Johnson hope to achieve, even if he was offered the appointment, unless he fancied saving on his fuel bill driving to work from Bristol. Yeovil are heading for the conference unless a miracle happens and so are we, I would argue we are as big if not bigger than Yeovil. He is building something with Torquay, I do not think he will give it up easily, just hope he is given the budget for the higher league next season.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I'd be shocked & upset if GJ did go to Yeovil, especially to a club as similar size to us, I think he has an infinity with us that cannot be just pushed to the side, we are an infectious lot who somehow manage to get under the skin of people ,in a good way.
I also hold GJ in the same high regard as Cyril & Leroy, he's got a job to do here & judging by his '_loving life at Torquay ' interview I'm not going to panic just yet, honestly I'm not !!! :)
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Reading on Devon live GJ has no intention on returning to Yeovil and says Torquay fans need not worry. :scarf:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Teigngull wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 17:15 I think he has an infinity with us that cannot be just pushed to the side
And beyond, I'd say.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Gulliball wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 19:51 And beyond, I'd say.
I think you probably mean affinity. Unless he will never die...
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Why would he want to go back to a Club who sacked him despite getting them to a level they could only have dreamed of reaching? Especially since he would be risking joining a Club on a downward trajectory instead of one on the way up.

With the Gulls he has the chance of proving that he can deliver promotion to the Football League for a third Club (after Yeovil and Cheltenham) - a unique record to add to his credentials in the Championship with Bristol City.

By the way, has any other manager achieved promotions with four different Clubs?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Modgull wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 23:39
By the way, has any other manager achieved promotions with four different Clubs?
Neil Warnock for one. Achieved promotion with seven clubs Scarborough, Notts County (twice), Huddersfield, Plymouth, Sheffield United, QPR and Cardiff.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 04:40 Neil Warnock for one. Achieved promotion with seven clubs Scarborough, Notts County (twice), Huddersfield, Plymouth, Sheffield United, QPR and Cardiff.
Of course! That must be the record I guess?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Warnock holds the record of eight promotions regardless of number of clubs.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Modgull wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 23:39 Especially since he would be risking joining a Club on a downward trajectory instead of one on the way up.
We were hardly on an upward one when he joined us!
Watford Gull sort of
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Watford Gull sort of »

As it stands it seems you will have a fantastic opportunity of promotion and I can't see him leaving while that is happening and certainly not to a club who you will very likely be playing next year. I'm not up on the comings and goings at Plainmoor but what has been the catalyst for the turn a round this season? Is it just Johnson, or are there new owners who have put money in?