Dartford 16 Mar 19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

DFC wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 22:46

Ugly side? Bit harsh mate.

You’re on a different level to us, we’re only part time and you’re a league club in waiting. It’s completely different levels. This is our hardest game of season no question. Also we didn’t have our two first choice central midfielders, one of them our player of the year.
It made a hard job even harder.

Good luck and hope you win the league.
I'm an ugly old git myself, anyway, some of the tackles late on were a bit 'juicy' perhaps your players were tiring. If you were at the match well done for travelling all that way in not very nice weather. Thanks for the good wishes.
Arelbee
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Arelbee »

Special mention to Keating today who ran off without fuss when sacrificed for Sendles-White and showed very positive body language when obviously must have been a major disappointment to him. Many a player of his age may have shown some petulance but further indication of the spirit in the group. Thought Wynter was outstanding today ~ most improved player this season. Dickson looks a class apart all of a sudden - I think he may now get ahead of Andrews in the pecking order. Coupled with last week’s win, the best two performances of the season in many ways and sets us up well for the last eight...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

DFC wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 22:46

Ugly side? Bit harsh mate.

You’re on a different level to us, we’re only part time and you’re a league club in waiting. It’s completely different levels. This is our hardest game of season no question. Also we didn’t have our two first choice central midfielders, one of them our player of the year.
It made a hard job even harder.

Good luck and hope you win the league.
I don't usually disagree with Gateman49, but I also thought that was unfair to call Dartford 'ugly'. Yes - there were a few rash challenges flying in towards the end of the match, but I think that was more out of frustration. The challenge on Ryan Dickson was heavy, but a yellow card was fair. I thought both sides made it a good game in dreadful conditions, and I thought the ref was okay. He tried to let the game flow. But we should have had a penalty for handball in the first half.

Niate's sending off was 100% right decision. He let their forward get the wrong side of him and he shoved him in the back. The 10 men played their socks off and I reckon the crowd made up the 11th player today.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Fantastic result and performance :clap: I followed it here until midnight - thanks for all the updates.

Cameron said that Reidy himself thought he'd had a quiet game - never mind that - 28 goals and he'll be adding to that before the season ends :keepie:
What a turnaround for Reidy after those dark days early on.

Well done all. More please :scarf:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Ten games seen now including yesterday v Dartford. It didn't start well, did it? We put wholehearted performances in like that for the remaining games and we finish as champions.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Dartford did try to play some decent stuff in very trying conditions and to call them ugly does a disservice to our lads who beat a good team on the day.
Likewise I thought the referee was fine. About the handball, I didn't think our players protested that much, unlike the sending off incident where the Dartford surrounded the ref before he consulted with the linesman.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lets not forget that Dickson is a class player. He might have been unlucky with injuries this season but played 43 times or something like that for Yeovil last season.
DFC
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by DFC »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 08:50 Dartford did try to play some decent stuff in very trying conditions and to call them ugly does a disservice to our lads who beat a good team on the day.
Likewise I thought the referee was fine. About the handball, I didn't think our players protested that much, unlike the sending off incident where the Dartford surrounded the ref before he consulted with the linesman.

Also we beat Woking home and away so we can’t be too bad.
At home though it was only 2-0 we completely outplayed them from start to finish.
I think a few might prefer you to go up as you’re not just a decent side you conduct yourselves well. No billy big balls etc like the smaller club you’re battling it out with, you are where you are. That’s the impression you give so I think that makes others wish you well in promotion.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

divingbboy wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 19:40 I thought Niate was absolutely robbed with that red card. So unbelievably harsh. Was the ref even at the match!!!?

(Just kidding - that was absolutely blatant).

All in all, a real test of character. Down to 10 men after 15 minutes, playing against the driving wind and still going one up, going 2 up in the second half and Dartford still being unable to score. That was a real battling performance. Well done to them all (though, Niate, WTF were you thinking)
Kidding or not, I stand by my first reaction. Their player was let down by his first touch and they then ran into each other.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/club-info/517601
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not blatant to me at all. Their player has lost control of the ball which looks like it going towards the corner flag.

Niate looks to have gone in shoulder to shoulder. Can't really see what the referee has to ask the linesman about.

Their player isn't going to score - looks harsh to me.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

gateman49 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 11:20 Kidding or not, I stand by my first reaction. Their player was let down by his first touch and they then ran into each other.

It looks more like clumsiness rather than deliberate foul play, but Niate was the last defender when he bought down their player who was in a goal scoring position and that is a red card all day long.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

gateman49 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 11:20 Kidding or not, I stand by my first reaction. Their player was let down by his first touch and they then ran into each other.

Nailed on penalty - Niate stuck out his arm and pushed their player over. Game gone now won 2-0, 3pts gained.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Also regarding the Dickson foul. It is interesting to compare it with the incident in the Wolves cup game last night where Lindelorf committed an equally outrageous foul on a wolves player and was initially shown red before the referee reviewed it on the VAR.
Rhys1991
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by Rhys1991 »

DFC wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 10:51
Also we beat Woking home and away so we can’t be too bad.
At home though it was only 2-0 we completely outplayed them from start to finish.
I think a few might prefer you to go up as you’re not just a decent side you conduct yourselves well. No billy big balls etc like the smaller club you’re battling it out with, you are where you are. That’s the impression you give so I think that makes others wish you well in promotion.
You guys looked a bit off the boil yesterday but I don't think there was anything ugly as such... It's just what happens to teams unfortunately as we would know.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Definitely a red card. Last defender, and he played the player, not the ball.

Right decision.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com