Current opinions on Clark Osborne and Gaming International

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

EddUK12 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 19:53 Show me where in the linked news story it says he PROMISES?

Thats all im asking. I have stated he might intend to build a stadium as he intended to build things elsewhere but intentions are not a promise.
This is the article...

"Torquay United chairman Clarke Osborne outlines his vision for a new 10,000-capacity stadium for the National League South club.

The £40m arena would also incorporate a concert venue, a hotel and leisure facilities.

Osborne has been a controversial figure among fans since taking over the club in December 2016, with many opposed to his plans to re-home the former EFL club.

"We know that if we can put all of this together there's going to be a real interest. That is going to bring the investment that is necessary as we put this together," Osborne told the BBC.

I'd say "vision" and "put all of this together" is a pretty clear indication that he wants us to move into a new stadium.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

He can't promise what's not his. This stadium has been talked about way before mismanagement caused Clark Osborne to get his grubby mits on the club. I just wonder if he knows Gordon Oliver will be gone in May and there is no will on the part of the councillors to look at a new stadium. He has evidently also failed to take into account the history of nimbyism in the bay.
I'm just enjoying our time in the sun, and if I were a betting man I would put money on his new stadium being built (If he builds it at all) in teignbridge somewhere off the new bypass. Pure speculation of course.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I tend to agree. You can't promise a new stadium based on images of a stadium built in India about ten years ago. I think the operative word here is neither promise or vision but rather deception.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Based on his previous visions he's promised deception 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

EddUK12 wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 16:42 Haha he hasnt promised anything
He did mention a new stadium by 2020 at some point.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

This reminds me of when I used to run betting shops for William Hill. We had a customer who was convinced that Colin Montgomerie would win a golf Major. The bet was that Mr Montgomerie would win more Majors than me. My golfing prowess never progressed beyond pitch and putt at Torre Abbey, whereas Colin entered every big tournament. We currently stand at no Major wins apiece.
Perhaps Mr O has a similar arrangement re stadia. Though there are many Speedway fans who are still waiting to see the 'intended' stadium in their town.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Osborne has no interest in Torquay United other than to make money from building houses on Plainmoor and he past record gives very little confidence that he'd build a new ground anywhere, let alone one on good terms for the club at a good site in Torquay.

Objective number one has to be to ensure that he never gets the freehold of Plainmoor.
Objective number to has to be to manage his departure (once he realises he will only lose money here) for the long term good of the club.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

HockeyGull wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 18:02 Though there are many Speedway fans who are still waiting to see the 'intended' stadium in their town.
I seem to be agreeing with much said on this thread. There is much intent - with reference to new purpose built multi event stadium our Chairman stated in the club statement of Jan 19 2018:

"come what may in the remainder of the season we intend to complete this project... So, let’s pull together and give Gary ( viz. Owers ) and his team our full support and encouragement for the battles ahead.". The latter part of that statement now lays in the annuals of history!

Best to remember that a truth told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent. As an old proverb says, 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

.... and broken promises 😏
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

We will be sold to Peter Masters (ex-Truro) if the council don't approve the housing estate proposal. The sale of the Cornish club now makes it feasible and is an obvious solution for everyone.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 17:29 He did mention a new stadium by 2020 at some point.
You beat me to it Plaimoor78. Indeed he did say that more or less as soon as he got his feet under the table.
I will try and find the piece for the benefit of our fellow (doubting) poster.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think the Intention to have a new stadium by 2020 was made in 2017. That alone suggests Osbourne has no intention to build one because anyone with the vaguest knowledge of building projects knows you can't push through all the planning permission in such a short space of time.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

What does it matter whether it is an intention or a promise.
If Osbourne had genuinely intended to build all the stadiums he said he would, then he is a very poor business man and developer.
But we know he is actually very successful at what he does, hence when he says he intends to build something or promises to build something we simply cannot take him at his word.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Poor old uncle Clarke under the cosh again. Maybe it's because i'm thick,( i did go to a catholic school, Cuthbert mayne in torquay after all), but on reading this thread and many others on Clarke Osbourne, i am more confused than ever as to what Mr Osbourne's motives are for owning the club. It can't be to purchase the ground for housing development and move to a new multi purpose stadium as so many people have said on this forum that Osbourne has failed on several previous occasions to build new stadiums or anything. It can't be to asset strip the club as the club has no assets. Osbourne can't sell the club in the short term as he would not get back anything like the substantual funds that he has already pumped into the club. Poor old Thea Bristow found this out to the tune of nearly 4 million written off in unpaid loans to the club. Going back to the previous board, they indeed said that they were looking for other intrested parties to aquire the club after turning down Osbournes origional offer to purchase the club. Can someone please explain how Clarke Osbourne can possibly get a return on his investment in the club until the club is successfull back in the football league and is sold as a going concern. My own personal belief is that he's keeping the seat warm until the Truro City owner gets his money back from Truro and sells the club and then purchases torquay from his good friend' Clarke Osbourne.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

One option would be to be given land on which to build the new stadium and for enabling development such as housing to be on part of said plot. Housing goes up. Profit made. Stadium doesn’t. Hope that helps, dawlishmatt. There are previous examples of this in the back catalogue that have been pointed out to you by others, so I won’t repeat them for you.