East Thurrock v Torquay United PP to 26.2.19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Although we would have been expected to win ‘easily’ tonight given East Thurrock’s league position their home record is actually not bad only having conceded 16 goals before tonight so for us to get a win scoring 2 is not too bad.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Quite a gap opening up now from 1st to 3rd,Just got to hold our nerve and make sure we beat Woking in April :scarf:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Will be interesting to hear Johnson's comments plus reports from those who were there tonight.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It shows that every fixture is now dangerous for us and for Woking. Forget the naive bookmakers odds (they should stick to horses) it's 50/50 between the two teams who won away tonight.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Sounds like Johnson made a very astute substitution putting Hall at the back for a struggling Sendles-White and bringing on Keating who made one and scored one. Important win and showed some spirit to fight back.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

That has been the most painful listen to a TUFC commentary I can remember in a long time! Thank goodness we ground out the win as with Truro winning that would have been quite a setback to our title chances, and who knows how important that late winner from Keating might prove to be at the end of the season! To be fair, there was always going to be a fair bit of injury time as there were two quite long delays for treatment to their players and what with the substitutions and goals etc I would have been angry (at 1-1 of course!) if he hadn’t have played 5 or 6 minutes!

To be fair, I think some allowance must be made for the state of their pitch which even their own Manager described as rock hard, difficult to play any kind of football on and he hoped would prove to be a bit of a leveller against our passing side, in an interview he gave to their local press before the game. That, combined with their “ariel approach” clearly affected us and it didn’t sound like we coped at all well for most of the night to be honest but certainly throughout the first half. It sounded like we improved considerably when Hall went into defence, but I wasn’t there so can only base on what i heard.

Slightly worrying that Sendles-White doesnt seem to cope too well with the “muscular” approach and it appears that, not for the first time in recent weeks, he has been bullied a bit by his opponent. I think he has had a pretty poor run of form of late, In particular in games against Bath, Welling, tonight and even on Saturday I thought he should have done better with DHs second goal. I think he will, as others have suggested, now find himself on the bench on Saturday as Kyle Cameron returns, and so its now down to Jean-Yves to re-establish himself in the starting XI.
Last edited by CP Gull on 26 Feb 2019, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Don't think you will get to many naïve bookmakers. East Thurrock were 9/1 we were something like 3/1 on to win - they got it right - you don't win any money for the home team winning at half time.

Sounded like we created enough chances to have won it more convincingly in the second half.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great win SW is injured good job Cameron is back on Saturday. We are now a little light on the bench.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Truro lost actually. If they had won it wouldn't have made any difference to us because they are fourth from bottom!!!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Nightrider wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 21:52 Quite a gap opening up now from 1st to 3rd,Just got to hold our nerve and make sure we beat Woking in April :scarf:
Yes, eight points ahead of Bill & Ricky with a game in hand :clap: :clap:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

We are indeed very light on the bench. It is clearly time that we strengthened the squad while we are able. To go into the final furlong with a squad so lacking in depth would put at great risk all the good work GJ and his players have done,
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Well, that’s how you win a league! It’s never going to be all sunshine and rainbows, champions have to be able win ugly and thats exactly what it was tonight!

ET are definitely going down, they offered extremely little and were your typical brutish, lump it forward direct type of side. Give them there dues though, they kept us at bay and looked dangerous from corners and long throws, especially at the end.

We thought JSW limped off rather than subbed off but we did look defensively better when Hall dropped back in there. Niate wasn’t particularly good either, he still looks slightly rusty to me. Hopefully a few more games under his belt will lift him to the standard he was playing at before he lost out to JSW.

None the less, another three points and you could tell GJ was relieved by the end.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

arcadia wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 22:01 SW is injured good job Cameron is back on Saturday.
Think Sendles-White getting subbed off was a tactical switch, wasn’t it?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Tonights match was always going to be a tight affair even though East Thurrock lie in 21st place just one off the bottom.
With Woking winning at Truro this was a really important 3 points and I see ET are home to Billericay on Saturday.
Pleased for Keating as he is a real trier and he must be so chuffed to score what turned out to be the winner in the 90th minute.
I am surprised given his experience that GJ has made so little use of Ryan Dickson given his experience.
Well done to the lads and looking forward now to WSM on Saturday.
COYY
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Phew!!! That’s what champions do.

That late goal from Keating may we’ll be one of the most important of the whole season. Pleased for him - he was quite chuffed!

We were better second half when we played the ball on the floor, to our strength not theirs. Just like at Welling, I don’t understand why we played so many high balls against a tall defence. Despite the bumpy pitch we looked like making chances when we used our skill but not when we played all those high balls.