Torquay United v Dulwich Hamlet 23/2/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I wasn't referring to posters comments but people standing around me during the second half
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Great result today, little concerning that will allowed Dulwich to score 2 similar to the Oxford game. But really can we complain back on top with a 5-2 win. If we concede 2 every game but score 5 or more who cares.
Need to win away on Tues get back on a run that will insure the championship.
1 win down 9 more wins should see us promoted as champions no matter what anyone else does.
Those who took Torquay at 40/1 back in the days when we could not score for love or money! get ready there is a party coming!!!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Jamieb wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 20:14 Good match,wonder if anyone noticed choreographed pre match warmup by ref,linesmen,not intentionally,but hilarious to us!especially the bending over,wiggling hands,know dulwich play in pink..and then meltdown,as? Linesman retired?thanx to guy who stepped in to relieve chaos!also appreciated chant,banter..Gary ..I want to know,baby,why your such a c***t,? Based on a Woking message,but,really,really not good w/kids in ground,and after halftime,wellwhat pep talk,gulls seemed to take foot off gas,for a while,yet dulwich got stronger,should have been in reverse!however,m.o.m,no 10,well deserved,and new young sub,no 14,looks promising,no love lost 4 referee,however..
I think you mean “Gerring... I want to know, baby, why you’re such a...”. Great chant. Nearly as good as Wham Christmas one.

Hats off to the bloke who came out from the crowd, and let’s face it, saved the day because without him then game could have been abandoned. He was also better than many of the linos we’ve had this season. He was my man of the match.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Arcadia always panics and worries himself silly about anything. If we are winning 5-0 with half an hour to go theres every chance the opposition might score 5 and get a draw. He needs medication.

In reality that's the way we play. Create more chances and score more goals than the opposition.

Everybody is fretting about Woking, and every other team - now its Billericay - they have scraped a few wins by the odd goal but like every other team they will lose sooner or later. Dulwich Hamlet are probably not the worst team in the league but in reality we've slaughtered them as well.

Lets be honest in the two games we have lost we could quite easily have won as well. Several factors combined to lose us the Bath game (which we should have won) and however well Welling played (apparently) the referee contrived to ignore the most blatant red card you will ever see at 0-0.

Clearly if the referee didn't cheat we would won that one at well. The only other defeat was in the Boreham Wood Cup game - and lo and behold we had two players sent off in that one!

It appears that no one has beaten us on merit really so we can't really be doing that badly.

Playing the way we do there is always the chance that we will concede goals - you can't have it all ways!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

arcadia wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 20:21 In my post I was not moaning just concerned that we started giving the ball away against a better side
it could have cost us. Some of the football first half was breath taking but when coasting it was show boating
on a couple of occasions. It would be better if we learnt to contain second half and win 4 or 5-0. Dulwich
were dangerous because we gave them the ball.
Spot on Arcadia, GJ also alluded to the team playing as a unit in the first half and playing for themselves in the second. I don't think it was that black and white but didn't their winger jump in the air to win a penalty. If that hadn't been given it might have been a different scoreline as we missed chance after chance in the second half.

See that 'penalty' on the video on the NL site

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/club-info/517601
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Indeed what a leap !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think brucie and arcadia have it right between them. Arcadia rightly points out our flaws but brucie correctly explains them. I'm still confident that we'll pull away over the last few games due to our quality and full time status lasting the pace better than our rivals. I'm not complacent and not counting any chickens just being realistic on the evidence I've seen for myself. There will be pitfalls along the way but I see us wrapping up automatic promotion with a couple of games to go.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I can't make my mind up about yesterday. It was a very strange game. 4 - 0 up at half time, and Dulwich posing no threat to our goal, the game was over. The passing and movement in much of the first half was great to see, but the Dulwich defending was truly dreadful. If they can't defend better than that, they'll be going down. The second half we were poor and I can see where Arcadia is coming from.

Some posters named Jean Niate in their five best players. Apart from winning a number of headers, I thought he was poor. His distribution and positional play were poor. I think he has greatly improved this season, but he was not good yesterday. Maybe lack of match practice in recent weeks affected his game. The central pairing of Niate and Sendle-White was cause for concern. Against a better team, they would have been found out. We sure missed Kyle Cameron. But hey - there were criticisms at the start of the season about Man City conceding goals. Pep Guardiola's response was that as long as we score more goals than we concede in a match, he wasn't worried. Maybe that's how we should be thinking.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

I have watched yesterdays highlights 3 times. The Dulwich Penalty was laughable.
Their second goal was from a suicidal pass by Jamie Reid which I very much doubt he would have made in a tight match.
Woking have to play away at Truro,Welling,Bath and Chelmsford.
Chelmsford have to visit Torquay,Truro and Welling AND play Woking and Wealdstone at Home.
Our Home form is superb with 8 consecutive wins ( 9 if you count Truro twice)
The 4 big games which will test us are Chelmsford (H) Billericay (A) Dartford (H) Woking (A)
The bookies are rarely wrong and skybet have us 8/15 which means we are very hot favourites for automatic promotion.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Hopefully the bookies were wrong when they had us at 25-1 in September. I’m looking forward to collecting my winnings.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well then you are odds on to collect!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Interestingly, one or two of us have commented on goals being conceded, but looking at the league table, only Bath have conceded fewer goals than us - and only one less.

I'm wary about making predictions, but I think we could well be five points clear after Tuesday night. Woking have got a long trip down to Truro and won't find Truro an easy game, possibly a draw. We go to East Thurrock where hopefully we can get a win.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

That would be a first Tomo -. 4 points for a win !
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 07:28 That would be a first Tomo -. 4 points for a win !
Doh....... er yes, you're right. No wonder I was no good at Arithmetic in primary school. I'll settle for 4 points clear. :whistle:
Linostan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Jamie Read

Post by Linostan »

In response to wivelgull and others. I was the guy who was the substitute Lino after the tannoy appeal. I was happy to oblige and run the line after the referee was injured. I was a class 1 referee for Somerset and also Gloucester FA but retired some years ago. I am a popside fan and attend every home game with my grandson and friends. I enjoyed the experience greatly and would like to thank everyone for mostly their great and kind comments on the way I performed which was reiterated by the players as well. Also all the crowd for my ovation when coming onto the pitch and at full time. Thanks again and to Torquay FC for their hospitality afterwards. If you need me again just give me a shout!!!