The Gary Johnson effect

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

greb46 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 06:13 Though nothing to do with GJ or football must admit I was finding EddUk12 and arrywithnobrain amusing.Just hope I've put the apostrophe's and full stops in the right place !
We all think in different ways mind. I was losing the will to live! ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Lanson gull.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

stefano wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 08:51 We all think in different ways mind. I was losing the will to live! ;-)
:lol:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

stefano wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 08:51 We all think in different ways mind. I was losing the will to live! ;-)
I thought you lost that years ago ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

To bring this back on-topic, I heard a little while ago from a family member (who used to play for the club) that a senior member of TUST had claimed to him that GJ is on a wage of £7,500 a week. Now, we both found this hard to believe, but I'd love to know what he really is on and why the leadership of TUST would be putting this rumour out there if it's untrue.

Anyone care to shed some light?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Considering our managerial budget (Manager + Assistant) has been around £50k for the last few seasons I somehow doubt it's anything like that.
Dave

madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 16:12 Considering our managerial budget (Manager + Assistant) has been around £50k for the last few seasons I somehow doubt it's anything like that.
This is my point, even if it were per month it would be a lot of money, my family member has no reason to make it up so why are TUST saying it? Unless they are also misinformed?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

£7.5k a month is still a big hike but probably more realistic.

Misheard maybe?
Dave

gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere else on the forum but there’s a great double page interview with Gary Johnson in this week’s edition of The Non-League Paper.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:50 What factor does the extra crowd we are getting into any equation. Must be fair to say we getting and will get extra 500 fans on average so inc concessions that's extra 5000 a game and that's got to be worth 50000 minimum as well. Fair to say if struggling with owers we would be lucky for 1200 , know we have had 3500 plus but i would a average of 2500 easy since Johnson came in. So those figures I would say are rather modest
I've not read every post in this thread so apols if I'm duplicating anything but I have been prompted to post a backup to this post from westyorkshiregull by some info on the National league web site. They have analysed the attendances so far in the NL as follows:

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/att ... ysed-55396

If we take our own league home attendances over the season so far they average out at 2,163 which would put us in seventh place if we were in that league. This splits out at an average for GO of 1,641 and for GJ of 2,453 for their respective periods in office so far. So GJ has actually put an extra 800 or so on every gate since he was appointed with every indication that these figures should rise as we head towards the end of the season!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He's also been good for other clubs who've benefitted from our increased away following since Owers left.
Dave

Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Interesting stats. My maths is great but it would seem that although Gary J and his team are probably costing Mr Osbourne more they are actually by doing well going a long way to pay for that through the significant increase in gate receipts.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Dazza wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 19:03 Interesting stats. My maths is great but it would seem that although Gary J and his team are probably costing Mr Osbourne more they are actually by doing well going a long way to pay for that through the significant increase in gate receipts.
I’d say that, in addition to the further 800 on the gate, it’s more than likely that Johnson has, up to now, reduced player wages by trimming the permanent squad. Further, he has secured some of our better performers for another year avoiding the bigger signing on fees the agents of new recruits might expect.

Essuman (Dulwich Hamlet loan); Gowling (Hereford); Sokolik (released); Regis (Wealdstone); Bawling (Oxford City); Wright (Gloucester City); and Williams (Sutton United) have all gone since his arrival. Banton also has been out on loan for a couple of months until today with another club being actively sought. Nabi has been training at Kidderminster and may soon be off the wage bill.

It’s a quality balancing act that a good and proven manager can do for the benefit of all, including his paymaster. He is a perfect fit for us. And I think I may love him. ;-)
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Just proves the point that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys !