Torquay United v Oxford City 26/1/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Incredibly only 7 more home games to enjoy this season. Am I glad I bought a season ticket.
Hope Kalalas injury is not too serious though we do have Keating and Edwards to cover. It's a hell of a long time since I saw attacking intent , flair, pace, passing, movement and finishing like this from a Torquay team . Regarding the pitch I think we have been unlucky with the timing of the rain
That Truro match and the heavy rain before the Welling game wrecked the surface and even yesterday if that rain had arrived a few hours later the pitch would have looked a lot better at the end.Also in my area of Devon we had a third of the average years
rainfall in November and December
Have waited 55 years for us to get more than six,
at half time I was hoping for 8 , 9 or even 10 but I guess that was never going to happen and Oxford battled very hard in the second half and we shouldn't be greedy !
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Things can just easily change game to game so whilst it was a good day for us its not all over yet.

Its how it goes over the total of the rest of the games that count not week by week. We have still got tough games - Billericay are now stronger than they were a month ago so that's a tough game for instance.

I remember one post from someone who suggested that neither Woking or Torquay would lose another game this season so Woking would win the league. Absolutely laughable really.

A team containing Bonehead Ben Gerring at centre half was certain to slip up sooner or later. We certainly look the best team in the league so barring getting an injury crisis we look in prime position to win the league.

The pitch doesn't seem to be an issue - more of an advantage as we seem fitter than anyone else.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 22:29 So, if I understand the comments correctly the area in front of Bristows will never be up to much due to the design of the stand, now there are situations which you can rightly say are never going to change and they are out of our control, this is not one of them, their is a video on youtube about the courts at Wimbledon where the use of industrial daylight, heat lamps can make grass grow in 48 hours with the bonus of drying out the ground, I know our grass is probably the wrong grass but it must be worth investigating.
I've seen these lamps in use at a premier league club, it does the job but looks very expensive. Maybe that's why we don't have them.

https://sglsystem.com/EN/index.php
TUST No 278
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

East Thurrock here we come! Another seven please! Hopefully the Plainmoor pitch will recover before the next home game.
GJ will ensure that the lads respect every team we play, with some tough games ahead, but we have the quality to stay ahead of the pack.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

It's not beyond technology to solve the pitch along Bristow bench but it is almost certainly beyond our pocket so we most likely have to live with it, unless we move ground of course :)
TUST MEMBER
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

chardie wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 09:02 I've seen these lamps in use at a premier league club, it does the job but looks very expensive. Maybe that's why we don't have them.

https://sglsystem.com/EN/index.php
How much do you think they cost? I couldn't see any pricing at all
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes tougher tests to come, the next home game for one I would think. Chelmsford have won 6 of their last 7 including the double over Billericay
with Rhys Murphy second top scorer in the league after you know who with 17 goals. Would have done better with us if Owers team had been more attack minded
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Totally agree they are out of our price range and for the usage they would get they would be classed as a luxury item, however they must be available to hire, even a week of use would help that side of the pitch enormously.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Midlandgull wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 09:58 How much do you think they cost? I couldn't see any pricing at all
£20 - £30K apparently or free if you have a friendly police force.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-29705681
TUST No 278
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

According to Vanarama website, tufc have just won for the 11th time in 10 games! GJ must be a God!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

chardie wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 12:19 £20 - £30K apparently or free if you have a friendly police force.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-29705681
This is fantastic! TUFC officials - why not enquire with the local police to see if we can do something similar?

Worst case, I wonder if we could share one with another local club? Plymouth, Exeter, Exeter Chiefs?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Well the local plod can only say no, in the worse case scenario
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Have we checked Ebay for these lights??!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 20:13 Not going to mention the match as most contributors have spelt it out, but that pitch, it was awful. Now I no longer live in the bay but have you had a monsoon in Torquay over the last fortnight, did we stop making the down payments on the drainage system, out local village football pitch is in better condition than Plainmoor. This is no slight on our ground staff but bearing in mind we play fast attacking football it makes that proposition very difficult when one half of the pitch is a building site. I realise the ground share must have played its part but it has been several weeks since any competitive match has been played there.
Has a new groundsman been appointed to replace Chris Relph? I saw that someone mentioned 'Julian' - is he the new groundsman, or in charge temporarily? I'm not saying for one minute that the pitch would have been any different had Chris still been with us, but I seem to recall that quite a bit of money was spent on addressing the drainage issue in front of Bristow's Stand during the summer.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

No new groundsman has been appointed, Julian was Chris Ralph's assistant. I think the problem is the top inch or two is so muddy and compacted and the soil structure consequently destroyed that any rainwater cannot get through to the drainage
further down