Torquay United v Oxford City 26/1/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I fully expect us to pull away from the rest now. Another good run to turn the screw and in my opinion there's nobody good enough to match us over the next dozen or so games.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

slay1373 wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 16:36 Trivia Question; when was the last time TUFC had two different scorers of hatricks in a single match?
Sixty years ago I saw us beat Northampton 7 - 1 in the FA Cup when Ernie Pym and Graham Bond both got hat tricks.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Why was Kalala substituted in 1st half? Tactical or injury?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

grockle wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 17:32 Why was Kalala substituted in 1st half? Tactical or injury?
picked up an injury mate.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

My opinion was our team hadn't performed well for a few weeks, and maybe needed that slap around the face we got from Bath last week. A reaction was needed, and the early goal important in my view, and what a reaction it was.

The players seemed to have found more energy, the passing quicker and crisper, some poor defending from Oxford City to be fair, however some very well taken goals by us, also. This game should have resembled a rugby score, and would have done if not for a few good saves from their keeper, and some unfortunate finishing from us , really happy for Jake Andrews, he was distraught after last week, this would have done his confidence no end of good.

Excellent day for us with Woking losing, and Bath who'd hauled themselves into contention last week only picking a point, it's no longer solely in Woking's hands now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 17:43 picked up an injury mate.
Thanks
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Great results all round today. Andrews with a good hat trick. Our pitch is so bad now. Ground share not such a good idea!!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a great attacking performance today - United's midfield and front two were quality today and as long as they played on the ground Oxford couldn't live with them. Particularly liked the quick throws to feet, quick free kicks and short distribution from McDonald keeping the opposition off balance. Shame about the two conceded but the midfield got overrun once Hall went off - a measure of the completeness of his contribution.

Appalling conditions which favoured United because we played with the wind when it was at its height - a good toss to win.

Healthy attendance given the weather - didn't hear the figure but guess it was around 2,700.

Match officials were good so overall an entertaining match in unpromising conditions.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just under 2500 with 46 away. 2466 was what I heard on the commo
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

The reaction GJ would have been looking for. Think the we made the best of the conditions in the first half and then the skies seem to calm somewhat after we`d chalked up 5 goals. Thought we passed the ball well and quickly on a difficult surface and Oxford couldn`t cope with our movement. As posted earlier,clear to see the impact Hall had on the game, when he was substituted we conceded twice. Dominant performance.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Bloody fantastic day... Most goals I have ever seen Torquay score. Got a little panicked when we conceded 2.!!! Then the 7th oh what a joy. What a difference from a year ago ! I say we are top of the league!! I say we are top of the league!! It was a great game some cracking goals some really great play. Be fair to Oxford they put up a good fight. Nowto east Thurrock. But first to a bar !!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Lovely to see us score so many and yet it felt as though we hardly had to break a sweat to win by so many. We missed so many chances as well, it could have easily been 11.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

After last week it was good to see the players raise their game pleased for Jake Andrews getting his hat-trick a really good day after Woking lost and Bath drew. Winters is improving with every game and Reid what can I say. :keepie: :goal: :goal: :goal:
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Credit to Jake Andrews - missed a penalty and we got beat last week as a result, he handed that very well by putting his hands up and apologising on Twitter.

This week he gets a hat-trick. The perfect response! Everyone can make a mistake but it is how you bounce back and that is the sign of a player who will go far with that mentality. More quality and intelligent performances please Jake!
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Not that they’ll want to after today, but ironically, Oxford could do us a favour next week!

They’ll no doubt want to make amends after today and bash out a better performance against Woking. An unfamiliar pitch (4G) for Woking to play on as well and who knows, we could be further ahead come 5pm!!