Bath Away jan 19th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think we've been asking for a slap around the face for few weeks now with some of our performances. Personally didn't think our performances v Truro, in both games and home v Slough were anything like the standard the team had set in previous games, and had some what got away with it, by scoring some outstanding goals which no team scores every week, and a sending off.

As others have said first have was very poor from us, but what stuck in my throat leaving the game was, we had got ourselves back into the game went 2.1 up, and up the point of the penalty award were in control of the game, the reason why Andrews was allowed to take the penalty, after all that's what your captain is for, I will never know, no surprise when he missed. Then you could hear the voices in the crowd, when we pretty all agreed the momentum would swing right back in Bath's favour, as it dually did, 3 priceless points chucked away, When you've been on a run of ten straight wins, it can be hard to get your mentality in the right place, it's now down to how the team reacts.

Sorry to hear that that children were upset by some of the incidents yesterday, hopefully none will be put off going in future, on the way back to the car there was a fair few Bath supporters closely guarding their children, that shouldn't be happening, but please to report lots of Torquay and Bath supporters walking down the road, no trouble, not crossed word anywhere.

Part of me wonders whether some of it was pre-arranged, as there was also a small group of young stroke middle aged men in the Bath end, who had pyrotechnics, and met the group in our end freely trading punch's over the fence after the first goal, none of them on either side had club colours on. Not presenting this as a fact, but it is believed over various social media platforms, there may have been Bristol City supporters at WSM, amongst the group, I saw some faces from the usual mob, but a lot I've not seen around Plainmoor before, was it a case of a 'rent a mob' at the game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Echo all the above. The day was ruined by the pathetic kids (and grown men) creating such a vile atmosphere. Bath had been such friendly hosts and to see our similar reputation tarnished was so sad.

The security was indeed awful though. Even the moron who grappled with the steward on the pitch was allowed back into the swarm of his pre pubescent mates with no attempt to kick him out.

The onus is now on TUFC to get a grip on this, issue banning orders and act as tough as possible and i would encourage everyone to send all videos and photos to them to assist with this.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Bath were indeed friendly hosts but they clearly did not plan adequately given the potential for a few fans on either side to cause trouble. And a few on both sides did.

Two flares / smoke bombs from each side. Both sets of fans ran up to the fence when they scored (but most Bath retreated when the Torquay mob got there). Punches were thrown both ways over the fence. One Torquay 'fan' tried to climb over the fence. I think he would have regretted it had he got over. I didn't hang about afterwards but from the bit I did see I suspect it would have kicked off outside had the police not been there. But as has been said, the vast majority of both clubs' fans were fine, it was just a few that seemed to think we're back in the 1970s.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Another thing I noticed yesterday, no unity pre match? No huddle not a lot of communication. Even when Andrews took the ball for the penalty there was no discussion that I saw, surely they'd be a few that would fancy it?
I seem to remember Aron Downes being quiet vocal pre match when he played for us surely he'd encourage such things?
Made me wonder how much training Aron is responsible for now, is GJ less involved?
Just wondering
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Officially 1426 away fans which is great support (apart from some mindless idiots apparently).it wasn’t that long ago that we were getting around that for home games so it just shows how far we have come in a short period of time. Onwards to another 10 game winning run!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I personally had a great day but like others bitterly disappointed in the result.
Before the match the atmosphere was great, in the King of Wessex it was rowdy but fun, with a bit of banter with the handful of Bath fans there. Stopped in a couple of pubs on the Bristol Road and chatted with Bath fans, which just makes the day more interesting. Again atmosphere lively but friendly.
On to the game. I thought Bath worked really hard to negate our strengths. In doing so forced the errors that led to the first goal. We then found a way back to the game with Hall's goal. In the second half I felt we had drawn their sting and were in control without actually playing well. Got our goal and bagged a penalty to seal the game. Missing it gave them a shot of adrenaline and they responded well.
I don't think Bath will be challenging for top spot. We should have left thinking Bath weren't a bade side but we took their best and still beat them without playing well. Now we are saying the best team won but that is not the whole story.
With regards to the trouble, the charge after the first goal just seemed manufactured; really no need to get that worked up after so little time when there had be no provocation.
TUST number 080
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

How many, if any, away supporters in the home areas?
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

grockle wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 10:41 How many, if any, away supporters in the home areas?
Couldn't really see from where I was standing in the away end. No noticeable groups but others have there were a few
TUST number 080
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

2000 home supporters seems extremely high.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I stood in the main stand with five other Torquay supporters as none of us were sure we were going to make the game and therefore did not pre purchase our tickets so I am sure the 1400 an under estimation of our travelling fans. I do believe the trouble may have had an element of what passes in these pea sized brains for pre planning or organisation, certainly in Mcdonalds down on the main road there was a tall red headed youth with his head poked through the hoardings giving a running commentary on the Torquay supporters arriving. I am loathe to condemn the security team at Bath or any club at this level, regardless of their numbers, they do not get paid enough to get involved in hand to hand fighting, and why should they have to, I am sure the job description does not include the phrase that you could get thumped, kicked , spat at and generally abused all for the minimum wage, most are just trying to make an extra few bob at the weekend, the police at this game and certainly at the WSM game could have nipped the trouble straight off by throwing out a dozen or so of the morons. Regardless of the identity of these idiots they are now, forever associated with our club, I know after the WSM game our club officials were trying to find the identities of the troublemakers so that action could be taken without much success, but in Boots and Laces at the next home game the same names kept cropping up as being responsible.
DartShitehawk1969
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by DartShitehawk1969 »

We were poor yesterday, the worst I've seen since GJ took over but it has been coming. Recent results have flattered us and we have been starting games very slowly often gping behind early on. Hopefully it will be a kick up the backside and the team will get back to the great football we have been seeing at Plainmoor.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I don't agree, I think only by a slight margin we were the better side. The game ebbed and flowed and yes you can argue for either side BUT the periods we were in control I think we were more dangerous.

A long way from the incident but it looked a harsh pen against us.

Tge penalty miss was the turning point and gave them momentum.

I also don't agree our club has any responsibility at away games for the behavior of our fans. We all have personal responsibility, I dont see why CO can be responsible at all, does he have to vet every single away ticket sold, be also responsible if they get sold on to some undesirable. Ridiculous. The home club are responsible for ticket sales and the processes required to stop them being transferred, if they were. The problem is in the brains of the individuals who do this. They should be caught and punished. The club or any club should not be punished, you are suggesting if they are that they somehow condone it, which they don't.
TUST MEMBER
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 21:29 Are you sure it wasn't more locally based fans in with our lot? I've heard mentioned that a group of Bristol City fans were heading to the match and had tickets for the away end.
Having slept on the matter and reflected on what I saw at very close quarters it seems blindingly obvious to me that the crowd trouble was caused by an external element. It's not rocket science to work out that Bristol City were away yesterday and neither were they playing at Ashton gate when we played WSM.

When I (perhaps foolishly) went and remonstrated with the idiots after our second goal I only saw one with a blue and yellow scarf. All the rest had no identifiable allegiance which is strange behaviour for true Torquay fans (even that scarf could have been sourced from elsewhere). Neither did I recognise any of them as Plainmoor faithful.

In addition, I witnessed some strange happenings at the kick off as there were two separate centres of chanting. One was behind the goal and contained many faces that I did recognise so it was clearly comprised of Torquay fans. They threw balloons etc into the air when the players came out and were in a boisterous and noisy mood but no more.

The segregation barrier which divides the away end roughly two thirds and one third had all of its access gates open and I and my family had taken a position in what I thought was a quieter part of the away end in the 'one third' part beyond the barrier. Just before kick off a group of about 50 or so had formed in front of where we were stood and when our fans started to chant they opened up with one of their own. My opinion is that, if they were also genuine Torquay fans they would have joined the main group behind the goal but they stayed where they were until we scored our first.

It was then that they ran to the dividing fence and were joined by a bunch of Bath thugs for that initial punch up.

Eventually, the police had 'spotters' where the trouble flared so I presume that they may be able to help identify where the thugs were from and a photographer arrived half way through the second half taking a considerable number of photos of these hooligans so that too could be used for evidence gathering as well as the photos taken from within the Bath enclosure.

I hope that lessons have been learned as we still have one more match to play not too far from Bristol.
Last edited by gateman49 on 20 Jan 2019, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bathfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Bathfan »

Apologies to you all for some of the minor Bath idiots who met with your lot at the fence. Did try my best to push them away - we’ve never been a club that offers out other fans and I know for a fact the one or two that punched back were Swindon fans.

The Torquay fans I met were decent - shame that a small minority of stone island grandads tainted your away support.

On another note, anyone recognise this cockwomble?
Attachments
517BFFCE-45FA-448C-AA20-A8166674D429.jpeg
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Which one?! :rofl: