Ex-Gull watch

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

happytorq wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 18:59 Bloody hell, Atlanta United have signed him.

If you're not in the know, Atlanta are the current MLS champions, getting close to 50k every week to their games, and were most recently managed by former Barcelona coach Tata Martino (who got poached and is now the Mexico manager). They just brought in Frank de Boer to replace him.

Oh, and their star player is on the radar of Premier League clubs like Newcastle - Atlanta are demanding £30m for him! https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... el-almiron
Seems like a big jump in quality from Rochdale to Atlanta.. Suspect they have a second team who he is more likely to play for?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

CraigUnder wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 19:04 Seems like a big jump in quality from Rochdale to Atlanta.. Suspect they have a second team who he is more likely to play for?
They have a second team (imaginatively called ATL 2; many MLS clubs have teams like this) but if he was signing for that team they'd most likely announce it as such. On the ATL website, if players are signed for the second team they'll say so. I seem to remember he was pretty well thought of with us - and he had a decent college career, which (honestly) MLS teams will sometimes value quite highly.

Because of the weird rules around MLS teams, Atlanta will have had him on their radar for a while - he's what they call a "discovery" signing. This means that they get first refusal on signing him (because he grew up in the area) if he becomes available and hasn't signed with an MLS club in the past. With that said, he's the 3rd keeper in their squad, and given that their current first choice is US international Brad Guzan, I could see him training with the full squad and maybe getting a game or two depending on injuries, etc.

Whatever happens, it's most likely the best possible more for him. He won't be making a fortune - probably close to what Rochdale were paying him, I'd imagine - but the US setup is such that once you're signed by an MLS team you have to be pretty terrible to not have a career, even if it does mean being traded and bounced around for a while.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

What next for released Brett Williams?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Whitby Town?
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

Coulthirst and Sparkes scoring for Barnet. 2 decent players.
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

And Josh Rees scored for Gillingham
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Sean McGinty was dropped to the bench by Partick Thistle last Saturday.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Ashley Barnes scores for Burnley away at Man Utd! Wow!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Kieffer Moore scored again last night for Barnsley - 17 for the season now.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Local-Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Benefield

Post by Local-Gull »

Interesting facts (or not) picked up from the West Brom v Brighton match last night on MotD ..

West Brom Manager: Darren 'Bruno' Moore .. ex-TUFC player

Pitch-side summarisers: Liam Rosenior + Jason Roberts .. both ex-TUFC players
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Had Jason Roberts not been recalled by Bristol (Rovers?) that season he was with us we would undoubtedly have gained promotion.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

wivelgull wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 11:02 Had Jason Roberts not been recalled by Bristol (Rovers?) that season he was with us we would undoubtedly have gained promotion.
His parent club at that time was Wolves, but what a good player he was for us.
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Dale Tonge is currently assistant manager at Barnsley. Michee Efete is now playing for Billericay.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Griff1n wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 09:31 Dale Tonge is currently assistant manager at Barnsley. Michee Efete is now playing for Billericay.
DT has been "upgraded" from U23 coach.
He has he job until the end of the season due to the previous incumbent bogging of to join Huddersfield as assitant to their new manager.

.........Just hope he does a better job of that than he did as a player for TUFC.................. :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I may have missed other posts on a not celebrated ex player and I apologise if I'm repeating things. I'm not even sure if I should post something to give him the oxygen of a bit of publicity but who should I spot in the advertising break in the painful test cricket?

Yes, it's Rhodri Giggs announcing who he is to all and sundry and advertising for Paddy Power.

I suppose that we should forgive and forget and perhaps he is a reformed character.