The lowest of the low

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Kuhl resigning was a low point?

So hes manager of Basingstoke - so what. God help his players if he was as inspirational as he was when was here. Permanently slouched against the fence. Waste of space.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

For me has to be the game at Colchester when we we're relegated by by essentially one goal my boy was in tears and I felt I'd done it too him, however I'd don't really blame myself I blamed rip off journeyman Constantine lol

Anyhow I'm a glass half full sort of guy, so,

Strange though how that season was probably my most enjoyable, never forget that long jump headed goal by Akenfenwah at Swindon simply a worldie! and Boxing Day at Brentford, friend of mine spoke to Steve Calridge recently,,,,,,, really strange how he didn't remember that game 🤔
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Lowest point for me was the end of last season, walking out of Plainmoor for the last time as a ST holder and deciding that enough of my time had been wasted watching pitiful displays.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Dropping into this league is the worst thing to happen. However the mid 1980's football was woeful and even had a couple if gates under 1000.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

David Webb era was my zenith of incompetence. Bringing in players like Dean Mooney, who seemed more interested in preserving his perm than heading the ball!
The trouble is after following the club home and away since the 70's, I am still addicted to TUFC, and will go and watch whenever I can, and whatever level we are playing at. Coming down to Torquay this Xmas and hope to get two games in, weather permitting.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

For me the lowest point is when the club couldn't afford to hire a decent coach to get to away matches. It was absolutely ridiculous that a so called full time professional football club had to resort to either the manager driving a mini bus or the players using their own cars.
At this point the infrastructure of the club had practically dissolved and all that was left was the first team.
Worse than the Webb era, except that back then I couldn't imagine it getting worse.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Watching us lose 3-0 at Basingstoke in the Cup and a scuffle breaking out before it pissed down on the way to the car was a day I’d rather forget.

Also am with the other poster who mentioned the Colchester relegation under Leroy, albeit that was a while ago now. Hated that day after we had done so well in the few games before. Ruined my summer, that did.

Also, special mention for the observation re Ling’s departure. That angered me and left me feeling very disappointed with my club. And until now on the playing side, in Conference South, it was never the same after Ling left.

We plummeted, ending up, of course, in the ownership hands of someone who promised a new stadium at my other sporting love, which was killed off via stadium demolition in 2008. With a wasteland where it was and retail units and housing only on and surrounding it’s proposed grand relocation to this very day.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

So many times over the years, Tufc let us down. Just when you think you have reached rock bottom, lo and behold we sink further. Every once in a blue moon, things look up, then BANG and we get let down again. Since the league went to 4 nationwide divisions just how many years did we spend in the third tier? I know the last couple of times we've reached our pinnacle of League 1, we haven't lasted more than a season without being relegated again. So many false dawns. Sometimes I think we must all be masochists to put up with the way we have been treated all this time. I have been watching for over 40 years and still come back for more. Am I mad? NO, just proud to follow the football club of the town where I was born and educated. Let us hope that Gary can get us out of this league at the end of this season.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Easy - 14th April 2007. Peterborough home - drew 0-0 and relegation out of the league.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I've got to mention having to suffer the ineptitude of the class of referee at this level, I know most of them are doing it as a hobby & a few have aspirations to reach the peak of the premier league ! But the quality is shocking, no matter what Merse will tell you differnt, it is truly awful.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

samuel wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 16:55 Easy - 14th April 2007. Peterborough home - drew 0-0 and relegation out of the league.
1-1
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I've been around for so long I have a drawer full of bad memories but now isn't the time to open it as, against all my predictions, things are looking up.

On that subject, I know from my 60+ years of support that we've never won a championship since we were first elected to the football league. According to the records, the last time we did was 1926-7 and that was only the Southern League Western Section, a league of 14 teams 6 of which were reserve teams. Even then we only won on goal average as we had the same points as Bristol City Reserves!

A lot weighs on Gary Johnson and his squad this season if I am ever going to see a team of champions!
Local-Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Benefield

Post by Local-Gull »

12 October 2006
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 18:24 For me has to be the game at Colchester when we we're relegated by by essentially one goal my boy was in tears and I felt I'd done it too him, however I'd don't really blame myself I blamed rip off journeyman Constantine lol
Yeah, that was horrible, especially coming a year after the great day at Southend. and especially especially because bloody MK Dons stayed up instead.

Colchester's ground was horrible too - a real throwback to the 80s.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

95-96 season 1-8 versus Scunthorpe. Simply horrible.