Torquay United announces board appointments

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Plans for the new stadium at Nightingale Park declared "offside" by the Council.. Hot off the press, Devon Live. Osborne may have to rethink his strategy.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Launceston Gull wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 11:04 Osborne may have to rethink his strategy.
The sad thing is that Osborne won’t have to rethink anything.

As I understand it, all that’s happened is that Nightingale Park has been designated as an exemption to the corporate asset plan. It’s still in the local plan, and this simply means that it’s another layer of aggravation that’s got to be gone through for any planning antics. Doesn’t mean it won’t – or will, given GI’s previous – happen.

Of course, the worry is that, whoever has a majority in the local elections after next May (it’ll be Tory, or I’ll happily eat someone else’s hat) then has four years to do as they please without bothering to engage much with local bods.

And, much as people may not care for him, at least a directly elected mayor is responsible to the people. What we will have after 2 May is a Leader of the Council who is ultimately responsible to his own party only, and who can change at any given moment depending on the shenanigans within that party.

The whole process will be far less transparent after next May. And let’s face it, nothing’s going to be happening before then.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

https://www.devonlive.com/news/plans-ne ... um-2302151

I'm sure not the end of Osborne's plans but this will make it a bit harder for him - and good that the Lib Dem motion had Tory support.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

I've just found out that, as Item 5 on the agenda for the next Policy Development & Decision Group, chaired by the Mayor, to be held at 2pm on Monday 17 December (and it's a public meeting, so anyone may attend) is the following:

5. Memorandum of Understanding with Torquay United Association Football Club

To consider a report on a Memorandum of Understanding with Torquay United Association Football Club (TUAFC) to explore future opportunities in connection with TUAFC.

Further details are shown as 'to follow'.

Here's the link for the meeting, for information: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... i.pdf?T=10

If and when I can find out anything else, I will put it here, too.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

No matter where the alleged new ground will be - Nightingale being a non-starter from the off - this 'being in a new stadium withing three years' from July 2017 proved to me their process is a farce. A computer generated stadium plan which they plagiarised from Grimsby via India just shows the level of amateurism. An insult to fans and the people of Torbay. I mentioned on BTPIR, the start up cost on that land at Nightingale would be at least 250k. All of Torbay is a Critical Drainage Area, the land has standing water on it already. Some savage engineering would be needed and that is without touching the contamination issues. You will never get planning for a new stadium and infrastructure within 3 years, anywhere. Impossible. As Southampton Dave, Merse and TUST say, we must all remain vigilant. Great things on the pitch but the foundations are still shaky for our club. Our owners, grateful as I am to them for the investment, have a plan which in the longer run, has absolutely nothing to do with the welfare of our club.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

Soupdragon wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 14:53 I've just found out that, as Item 5 on the agenda for the next Policy Development & Decision Group, chaired by the Mayor, to be held at 2pm on Monday 17 December (and it's a public meeting, so anyone may attend) is the following:

5. Memorandum of Understanding with Torquay United Association Football Club

To consider a report on a Memorandum of Understanding with Torquay United Association Football Club (TUAFC) to explore future opportunities in connection with TUAFC.

Further details are shown as 'to follow'.

Here's the link for the meeting, for information: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... i.pdf?T=10

If and when I can find out anything else, I will put it here, too.
Sorry for quoting myself. Height of vanity/bad manners/whatevs.

Although nothing has yet been published that I can see, I have gleaned some further information.

It appears that the Memorandum of Understanding will put down formally that the council will support TUFC in its efforts to find another home (and I am assuming that means means not just Nightingale Park), and will include a provision for housing. I understand that Osborne has told the council that it would be easier to raise funds if some sort of formal* agreement is in place.

*I'm no legal expert, but I believe there's very little about an MOU that can be enforced, although it seems that depends on the wording. Perhaps others could advise. It would be my concern, however, that the council would simply fold in the face of threatened legal action to enforce any part of any MOU.
Again, further info and and if I get any.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Soupdragon wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 14:27 Sorry for quoting myself. Height of vanity/bad manners/whatevs.

Although nothing has yet been published that I can see, I have gleaned some further information.

It appears that the Memorandum of Understanding will put down formally that the council will support TUFC in its efforts to find another home (and I am assuming that means means not just Nightingale Park), and will include a provision for housing. I understand that Osborne has told the council that it would be easier to raise funds if some sort of formal* agreement is in place.

*I'm no legal expert, but I believe there's very little about an MOU that can be enforced, although it seems that depends on the wording. Perhaps others could advise. It would be my concern, however, that the council would simply fold in the face of threatened legal action to enforce any part of any MOU.
Again, further info and and if I get any.
I think it just means that rather than Osborne going to investors to ask for cash saying that someone at the council has told him they will assist with the project he actually has something written down to prove what the council have said. Not strictly legally binding but something more formal than a 'gentleman's agreement'.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Not as strong as an Agreement in Principal either. Just a letter or memo saying the Council are open to ideas to Torquay United shifting away from Plainmoor. This memo could also state if a suitable replacement stadium is built first coupled with further housing development.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Notice the mention of housing, that's the only thing he's interested in, we'll never get a new stadium with him in charge, mark my words. He's a slippery customer, don't be fooled by anything he says.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 16:49 Notice the mention of housing, that's the only thing he's interested in, we'll never get a new stadium with him in charge, mark my words. He's a slippery customer, don't be fooled by anything he says.
We certainly aren't fooled by anything he does regarding stadium building - because he hasn't built any.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

nickbrod wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 17:15 We certainly aren't fooled by anything he does regarding stadium building - because he hasn't built any.
Sadly some think he will build one this time despite the previous back catalogue.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Unfortunately for every one of us that isn't fooled by the crap that comes out of his mouth there are two that are.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I agree Dave.

Believe me there is no such thing as a ' just a ......,,'. Things like this are done for a reason. Things like this create precedents.

Things like this are very very dangerous indeed.

Quite simply this motion needs to be defeated.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

Here you go:

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... an.pdf?T=9

There's definitely some meat in there to be picked out.

I'm happy that the council appears to want to tie the development especially to looked-after children, although there are some 'in principle'-type things I might be less keen on.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

These our the councillors on the Policy Development & Decision Group. I suggest that people email them to ask them to oppose the Memorandum of Understanding (which is designed to held Osborne make money not for the best interests of Torquay United).

Councillor Nicole Amil
Councillor Vic Ellery
Councillor Robert Excell
Councillor Richard Haddock
Councillor Derek Mills
Councillor Julien Parrott
Councillor Jackie Stockman
Councillor Cindy Stocks
Elected Mayor, Gordon Oliver

Email addresses through this link -
http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... x?ID=11912