Dartford v Torquayunited 4/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I warn you don't underestimate Truro they are becoming a good side under a good manager. :keepie:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 15:09 No I'm not related to Clarke Osborne or have any connection with the club other than being a supporter for nearly 50 years. I believe that Osborne was harshly criticised the moment his company Gaming international was mentioned, way before he saved the club.
As I have already posted, part of Osbourne's 5 year plan was to make Torquay self financing at the end of the five year period.
So what if he buys plainmoor and builds a huge block of flats on the ground? There are dozens of football clubs from all leagues who have moved home in recent history. If moving to a new stadium or whatever eventually happens in the years ahead, I'm sure that returning to the football league, I believe league 1 is the goal , most TUFC supporter's dont give a damn what's in it for Mr
Osborne. If he makes millions out of his project ( which I know is not football related ), then good luck to him.
Thanks for clarifying that you're not related to him.
However, you still dont appear to have grasped the central point in this.
Gaming International/Clarke Osborne has never built a stadium for any sporting club that it/he has become involved in even after promising too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ifwe cannot beat Truro twice we don't deserve to go up.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

It's all its, buts and maybes at the moment. If in the next year or two Osbourne's plan fails, then of course my opinion will change. I've seen so many high and lows at Torquay over many years. I remember a wonderful night at Bolton Wanderers several years ago when Torquay were flying high and Mark Gardner scored a fantastic winner in a 2-1 victory and the disastrous back pass from Tom Kelly that gifted Burnley a narrow victory. I also remember Mark loram scoring a goal in the play-offs in the last ever match played at Scunthorpe's old ground ( the old show ground I think it was called). Post Paul Buckle, those wonderful memories have been joined by the darkest year's in the club's history. 3 relegations, a miserable excuse for a team and a continuing downward spiral. Now, thanks to the new owners, for the first time in many years, I have hope that the good times are returning, mainly due to the owners financial commitment to the club
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I'll be interested to see what Welling are like Saturday. Woking I thought were pretty poor to be honest with you. Direct and strong, but hardly a footballer amongst them. The home games coming up should be good. My only worry with Torquay crowds is they can get a bit impatient, and don't always buy into us being a footballing side that requires a little bit of patience with the build up. Really looking forward to Saturday. Should be good in Boots and Laces too, before and hopefully after the game.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

First half Dartford played well and created 2 or 3 chances. Cameron and Niate blocked and headed everything !! Second half we upped our tempo as the half progressed and created several chances. I must admit when Keating was just about to hit his shot, just hoped he would not miss the target like normal, smashed right I side the post and Reid took his too to finish the game off. Top of the league, who would have thought that a few weeks ago. I know teams have games in hand and a lot of games still to play for
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

So Brucie if we don't win twice against Truro we don't deserve to go up! Have a look at the form tables and learn old son. There is no easy fixture in football and we take every game at a time. Fortunately we have a manager who does just that. You Brucie on the other hand were the man who publicly thought the last manager was a genius and each of his signings goldust - enough said.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

brucie wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 22:04 If we can maintain this form through the next couple of weeks then we have two free home games against Truro over Christmas - Dickson and Hall are back. Oh Yes and Opi Edwards will be back soon as well.

Somethings bound to happen. We are not meant to experience this sort of positivity.
Having followed your comments for many years Brucie, I’m getting very worried about you. :red:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 15:09 ... I believe that Osborne was harshly criticised the moment his company Gaming international was mentioned, way before he saved the club.
As I have already posted, part of Osbourne's 5 year plan was to make Torquay self financing at the end of the five year period.
So what if he buys plainmoor and builds a huge block of flats on the ground? ..most TUFC supporter's dont give a damn what's in it for Mr
Osborne. If he makes millions out of his project ( which I know is not football related ), then good luck to him.
Well done Sir! you write a wonderful piece of science-fiction that takes place in a world much different to our own. It Is no easy task to make such a believable and appealing story of fiction. I applaud you for your structured sentences, in attempt to plant seeds of doubt in people's minds that somehow Clarke Osbourne is 'The Messiah' of our club when in reality, as everyone knows, he is the club's 'Nemesis'.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dazza the Xmas fool is back.

Look at the form tables and learn what exactly? That you are an absolute twerp.

Dartford were top of the form tables and look what happened to them last night. As for Owers signings - well who exactly signed nigh on all the players who were on show last night? Now you and your fellow clown Arcadia are getting your knickers in a twist about Truro.

MInd you wasn't it Arcadia who was telling us what a dangerous side Winchester City were and look what happened to them. They then followed their beating here by getting whacked by Barnstaple - who couldn't beat a team of girl guides.

Can I see part time Truro coping with the likes of Kalala, Janneh and co? Well probably not as they will have a busy schedule of several games in short succession, Ed Fatty Palmer will probably have devoured a whole xtra large Tescos free range Turkey by then, and Pittman won't be allowed to play either.

Are there any vacancies for Pantomime Dames - you pair of jokers could fit in well. Merry Xmas btw. :) :) :)
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi mellow yellow. Thanks for your comments on my posts concerning Clarke Osborne. I struggle to understand your reasoning of my science fiction article. All I have done is state the facts which are public knowledge concerning the state of TUFC when Osborne took over the club.
Fact 1:- A week or so before Osborne took over, a board meeting was held and the board decided to place the club into administration the following Monday
Fact 2:- It was the intervention of the Truro city owner who had become a friend of Osborne that he should save the club
Fact 3 :- Although Mr Osborne didn't pay a single penny to aquire the club, he did write off a loan he made several months earlier ( £120,000 I believe).
Fact 4:- I believe that in the first year of ownership, the club made a loss of over £300,000 according to the recently released accounts.
Fact 5:- I imagine that the accounts for this season will show a loss in excess of £500,000.
Who is going to fund these losses. Certainly not the 2000 supporter's who turn up to plainmoor at every home match. As Thea Bristow found out at considerable cost to herself ( I believe she invested over 4 million into the club) and gave the club away for nothing, other sources of funding must be found to fund a successful football club. Clarke Osborne if his big plans are successful will probably make millions out of his investments. One thing I know for sure is that for numerous reasons, TUFC will never be able to survive like they did years ago when survival ment selling your best players. Most top clubs get their players from overseas.
It's always been the same for the Torquay's of this world. I can even remember when on a Monday night in the early 1980s the late former chairman Tony Boyce held an emergency open meeting at the old Torquay Technical College at Torre as the club were on the verge of going bust.
Clarke Osborne cannot make any money out of Torquay United as they don't have any assets to sell.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Beware new posters with a 100% posting record of saying how good Osborne is. Two things they tend not to address are ‘loans’ to the club and his record when it comes to promises of new stadia and delivery on those promises.

Much better to enjoy our current League table position and games we are winning. Most who read these boards know by now what has happened when he has promised stadia elsewhere. We have to remember where we are and enjoy these relative good times in National League South as they’ve been few and far between. Only a fool ignores the past, though.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi Rjc70. Can you or anyone else please explain to me how Clarke Osborne is going to recover his considerable investment in Torquay United FC when the club has no assets?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 20:36 Hi mellow yellow. Thanks for your comments on my posts concerning Clarke Osborne. I struggle to understand your reasoning of my science fiction article. All I have done is state the facts which are public knowledge concerning the state of TUFC when Osborne took over the club.
Fact 1:- A week or so before Osborne took over, a board meeting was held and the board decided to place the club into administration the following Monday
Fact 2:- It was the intervention of the Truro city owner who had become a friend of Osborne that he should save the club
Fact 3 :- Although Mr Osborne didn't pay a single penny to aquire the club, he did write off a loan he made several months earlier ( £120,000 I believe).
Fact 4:- I believe that in the first year of ownership, the club made a loss of over £300,000 according to the recently released accounts.
Fact 5:- I imagine that the accounts for this season will show a loss in excess of £500,000.
Who is going to fund these losses. Certainly not the 2000 supporter's who turn up to plainmoor at every home match. As Thea Bristow found out at considerable cost to herself ( I believe she invested over 4 million into the club) and gave the club away for nothing, other sources of funding must be found to fund a successful football club. Clarke Osborne if his big plans are successful will probably make millions out of his investments. One thing I know for sure is that for numerous reasons, TUFC will never be able to survive like they did years ago when survival ment selling your best players. Most top clubs get their players from overseas.
It's always been the same for the Torquay's of this world. I can even remember when on a Monday night in the early 1980s the late former chairman Tony Boyce held an emergency open meeting at the old Torquay Technical College at Torre as the club were on the verge of going bust.
Clarke Osborne cannot make any money out of Torquay United as they don't have any assets to sell.
The whole reason behind CO giving the loan to the board was knowing they would never be able to repay it thus being handed the club and the land it sits on, on a silver platter. CO has no interest in anything other than making profit by building on Plainmoor, funnily enough that's what happens when a Property developer runs a football club.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Another thing that must not be underestimated is the appointment of Gary Johnson as manager of Torquay. He's quoted as saying ( and it's on video) that in 48 Hours of discussion between him and Osborne, he ( Gary Johnson) was very impressed with Clarke Osbourne's long term plans for the club. Surely a man of his quality who was only sacked 3 weeks prior to joining Torquay, wouldn't have signed as I'm sure he would have had literally dozens of football league club chairman knocking on his door and trying to sign him and at most he could name his price.