Is a reality check needed ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Whydoibother wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 22:44 Our defenders are not good enough with the exception of Davis and Cameron. Errors every match but get away with it. Our forward line isn't going to get us promotion they all need 5 shots before they score one. Opi missed a sitter after 10mins at Weston. Reid missed one too, different game if that goes in. Keatingbmissed a sitter against billericay, again game over if that went in. Woking in the league lots of chances missed, today the same in first 20mins again. In one way I'm glad we lost as can now concentrate on getting some more bodies into the squad.
Don't you dare start on our Beryl, you nasty irriot :slap:
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

brucie wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 22:41 In my opinion the downturn over the last two or three games has been mainly as a result of the number of injuries we have suffered.

It also seems that Johnson has moved some players out which has caused our squad to be severely decimated. Add to that we have have been on the arse end of some refereeing decisions and there probably isn't too much wrong with the team (or there wouldn't be if Sendles-White, Edwards and Hall were fit)

If it is correct that Johnson has two decent signings lined up next week then the squad will look infinitely better than it does now.

Given that we could have just as easily won the last three instead of achieving two draws and a defeat there probably isn't too much to get down about.

Two important games coming up now - we should be looking for maximum points out of these two.
It’s because we are finally playing real teams we’ve had a good month of playing all lower league opposition.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No need for a reality check as far as I'm concerned, believed for some time our squad doesn't have the strength in depth to challenge for the top spot, our squad lacks consistency also to mount a serious bid to win this league, although recent injuries haven't helped our cause, we are some what being propped up by Bristol City U23's right now, a situation that can't continue forever.

We can complain about the standard of refereeing, I was one of the first to vent my anger at the ref last week for booking Jamie Reid, he quite cleared slipped, oh, until I saw video and realised the ref had got it spot on, more often than not they officials do call things correctly no matter how us fans see things, they do make mistakes and there will times they go against you.

We can complain about other teams 'tactics' they're streetwise, were not, another easy way to counteract that, don't chuck away 2 goal leads, impose our game, get into a lead, show we can hold a lead, and make our opponents chase the game.

I'm just grateful we've seen a massive upturn in performances, the fans are starting to come back, the atmosphere at the games is more positive than it's been in long time. The Woking league game, WSM, Billericay these are all games that would have been lost a few short weeks ago that's the scale of the improvements made, GJ needs time to build a squad, it's not that easy to get the right players, for the right money.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Lots of young talent with really exciting ability, but there are times like yesterday and against Billericay last week when you need experienced heads particularly in adversity.The better opponents are more more street-wise and that's why the manager will be recruiting fit for purpose players to play NLS football and produce NLS results and a final league placing to boot.

Those early 'Johnson' results came againt poorer opposition than the likes of Billericay and Woking ~ look at the league table; they are above us and above us for a reason.

I think one of the main problems with the summer recruitment was that it was orientated towards youngsters who wanted to stay in the full-time game as opposed to proven NLS performers. I know the manager of Oxford City (Mark Jones) and he told me before we played there how mentally' niave and raw Koue Niate was having had him there before moving him on. That's not to say Koue Niae is not capable of being a good player but it does mean he is still prone to the types of error of judgement that sees him get the wrong side of opponents in every game at the cost of vital goals being conceded. Beside him in the heart of the defence is Cameron; fresh out of development football with a Premier League (Newcastle) club and at right back either Essuman or Wynter when a back four is deployed. The regular left back has experience galore but Davis is one of the quietest and least demonstrative players I have ever seen at this level.

So there we have it; miles behind Billericay, Woking (and when we get there) Dulwich Hamlet in terms of exposure at this level of the game; of teams that I am familiar with and that's just three. Wynter was a part-time squad player at Bromley, Essuman the same at Dover, Koue Niate never held down a regular part-time starting place at either Oxford City, Guiseley or Solihull Moors. As I said; good young footballers and keen to be in the full-time game, but getting done up like a kipper at times as they learn the ropes by more streetwise part-timers costing us points against our nearest rivals in the table.

An experienced and NLS streetwise forward like Adam Cunnington only had to get the better of our defenders on a couple of occasions last week and it was 'job done'; that's what our raw and naive young defenders are up against.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't agree Merse that we are miles behind those three you mentioned. We were without three of our first choice players against Billericay and two were missing yesterday. Those injuries have made a significant impact. Yes we are lacking experience but I don't think we are miles behind.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Keep the faith, if we win the next two home games, we will be back on track, (but we must punish teams when in the ascendancy). GJ knows what he needs to do, and I am 100% confident that we will be successful this season. Having seen every away game this season, it is a shame that home fans who are unable to travel, haven't seen the best yet, they will! COYY.......
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We are only 4 point off the 2nd and 3rd place and win our game in hand and we will sit in fourth spot - not exactly Mount Kilimanjaro to climb! We are were we are with players and I think most on here have been fair in their assessments of which squad players 'cut the mustard'.

On yesterday's penalty, Koue Niate got on the wrong side of the player and if you lunge in with a tackle the player will go down whether you win the ball or not. In this situation most referee's will award a penalty 90% of the time (even in the Premiership).

I find Naite, strong, solid and keeps defensive play simple but at the same time makes a number of silly mistakes that have the potential to be game changing. The finished article he is not, and this is a cause for concern, but age is on his side and Johnson will know better than anyone as to whether there is further potential in him.
FA Cup Challenger
Trialist
Trialist

Post by FA Cup Challenger »

I would like to ask a genuine question of any TUFC Fans, this is not meant as a criticism or to provoke a reaction I am just genuinely confused ? I was at the game versus Woking yesterday as a total neutral and witnessed a pretty decent game with two pretty well matched sides, in my opinion Torquay should have Won it on chances created.
My confusion was caused by a small section of TUFC fans who were shouting abuse at the Woking players at the end accusing them of being cheats ....... why was this ?
I can only think that they thought the Woking winger had dived for the penalty (in my view it was a legit spot kick), they were fed up with the Woking keeper time wasting (he was but all sides do that and he was booked for it) or that they thought they should have had a penalty themselves (if play was still ongoing they would have but the ref had already blown for a foul and booked the Woking player).

Those are the only incidents I can think of anybody else have a clue ?

Peter
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Missing Asa Hall massively!!!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

FA Cup Challenger wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 15:48 I would like to ask a genuine question of any TUFC Fans, this is not meant as a criticism or to provoke a reaction I am just genuinely confused ? I was at the game versus Woking yesterday as a total neutral and witnessed a pretty decent game with two pretty well matched sides, in my opinion Torquay should have Won it on chances created.
My confusion was caused by a small section of TUFC fans who were shouting abuse at the Woking players at the end accusing them of being cheats ....... why was this ?
I can only think that they thought the Woking winger had dived for the penalty (in my view it was a legit spot kick), they were fed up with the Woking keeper time wasting (he was but all sides do that and he was booked for it) or that they thought they should have had a penalty themselves (if play was still ongoing they would have but the ref had already blown for a foul and booked the Woking player).

Those are the only incidents I can think of anybody else have a clue ?

Peter
Sore losers.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

No need for a reality check. Gary Johnson has quickly turned things around and got us going in the right direction, but we're not quite there yet. To say Billericay and Woking are 'poor sides' is nonsense. Billericay are an ugly, no nonsense side. Woking are more of a footballing side and I think both will be in the top half dozen at the end of the season and either of them could hold their own in the National League. With just a little bit of luck, we could have won both games - and luck has a part to play.

A few thoughts -
a. We are a side of young players, including the Bristol loanees. This showed against Woking when we tried too hard and everything was rushed after the goal. We could do with a couple of experienced heads. Sendle-White will add that experience when fit.
b. Is it six players not fully fit? Hall, Sokolik, Sendle-White, Essuman, Edwards, Bass (although he wouldn't have played yesterday). That's a lot of players out of quite a small squad.
c. Smaller clubs, like Chippenham and WSM, will raise their game against us as we're seen as a 'big club' in this league.
d. The season is a marathon, not decided on a couple of games in October. Let's see where we are going into the New Year before we start asking for reality checks.

Personally, I think we have some decent young players at the club and Gary Johnson is improving their overall play. They can only get better as the season progresses as they gain in experience by playing together.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

For once, and it may not happen again for some time I agree with Merse. Both this league and the league above have changed out of all recognition over the last two seasons, Look at the crowds and money in the National League, it surpasses in a lot of cases teams in league two, professionals in league two can easily negotiate the same deal in the lower league and shop window themselves for the future, I believe as does Merse that this means we need seasoned players to succeed even at our humble level, and while I enjoy blooding the youthful element if they are good enough they are not the answer in a hugely competitive league.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

There is an interesting bit about Fulham today in my daily rag. Apparently, they invested heavily in good, young players during the close season with the thought that their value would increase. Where they went wrong, according to Danny Murphy who wrote the piece, is that they didn't bring in any players with experience to guide the young players, hence their position at the foot of the Premier. So as culmstock and Merson rightly suggest, experienced players are vital at all levels.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Experience through the spine of the team has always been the way to build and I'm sure Gary Johnson will address that asap now he's had time to assess the squad.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes Davis and Dickson are not enough and both are very quiet on the pitch, the rest are very young