Torquayunited v Woking Fa Cup 1st round 10/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I thought niate had a good game, Reid on the other hand did the same as he always did, plenty of effort and determination but no real quality in front of goal
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

notnow wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 20:19 I thought niate had a good game, Reid on the other hand did the same as he always did, plenty of effort and determination but no real quality in front of goal
Considering Reid is our leading goal scorer this season, how did the other so called strikers get on? ......ffs leave Reid alone. It's obvious we need to sign a prolific no nonsense striker.
Lucy
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 19:26 Today showed Naite isn't good enough

And we lacking a striker who can stick the ball in the net
Agreed, sadly.

Although built like the proverbial “brick shit house” he actually gets “bullied” by the opposition on occasions and his heading just isn’t as strong as you would expect. Shame, as he seems like a really nice guy .... but perhaps that is part of the problem.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

CP Gull wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 20:59 Agreed, sadly.

Although built like the proverbial “brick shit house” he actually gets “bullied” by the opposition on occasions and his heading just isn’t as strong as you would expect. Shame, as he seems like a really nice guy .... but perhaps that is part of the problem.
Spot on

Hopefully with Jamie S-W back on the bench today he'll be back in on Tuesday
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

No one so far seems to have pointed out that when the ball was passed forward in the attack that resulted in the penalty 2 Woking players were off side. On the whole officiating in the SPL has been good but this afternoon was the worst I’ve seen this season. It seems that the officials do a better job when they aren’t miked up and have to do without the magic spray.

We were the better side. On my way back to the car I overheard 2 Woking fans saying that in the second half we had them under the cosh and they were lucky to come away with a win.

Also, I think the conditions in the second half made it easier to defend than attack.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

lucy6lucy wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 20:49 Considering Reid is our leading goal scorer this season, how did the other so called strikers get on? ......ffs leave Reid alone. It's obvious we need to sign a prolific no nonsense striker.
so what if he is our leading gs? (Ffs) if you put a dustbin on the penalty spot and aimed at It you’d get a few choice deflections! I like the guy but I merely mentioned he could’ve Should’ve scored. But didn’t as usual.
(Ffs)
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

He is a nice bloke , he is local and one of ours does not seem any justification for giving Reid an easy time when its open season on other players who various contributors feel fail to make the grade. His attitude is commendable, he runs a lot but his final pass and ability to stay calm in front of goal is lamentable, he badly needs a rest from the stress of being our so called goal scorer of note.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I thought it was a good game for the neutrals but I've seen it all before, a new manager comes in everyone raises their game and usually a club will go on a run of results then you lose your first game, it will be interesting to see what happens. We should see what progress we have made on Tuesday.

We had enough chances to of won today and you've got to look at the quality of the first touch of our strikers they gave the ball away cheaply putting us under pressure but I feel had Hall been fit we would have won as I thought Dickson was very quiet today.

Connor Evans was frustrated as the game went on and tried to do to much on the ball and got caught in possession a few times when in other games he has passed the ball early.

Up front I think it's time to give Williams a chance alongside Jennah as at the moment we've got two headless chickens, lets have one and give one a rest. We have scored a lot of goals against poor sides but against better sides the players have been found out as they have been tighter marked. Gerring did a good job today but he's not a consistent player at this standard.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

notnow wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 21:42 so what if he is our leading gs? (Ffs) if you put a dustbin on the penalty spot and aimed at It you’d get a few choice deflections! I like the guy but I merely mentioned he could’ve Should’ve scored. But didn’t as usual.
(Ffs)
So slating our leading goal scorer, what's your alternative solution notnow??
Lucy
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Just retweeted Ben Gerring’s ‘explanation’

https://x.com/bengerring/status/1061328 ... 44416?s=21
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Does he mean throwing verbal shit or actual excrement? Because Ben Gerring wasn't averse to the former when he was a pro' at Torquay United you know and had his actions referred to the PFA and the League Managers' Association.

So perhaps Ben would care to come clean as to why his offer of a new contract was actually withdrawn by the Club after they offered it to him. I think the old maxim; 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones' could apply here couldn't it Ben?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

Johnson will need time to stop the rot and change the mentality of the past 5 years at our football club. In my opinion we are improving I thought Evans was excellent Cameron and Dickson defended very well and Kalala and Reid was a threat at times also. We just need to tidy up with the ball in possession especially our back line are all uncomfortable.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Just seen the highlights of the game. Sadly these missed out the refereeing cock up in the second half, where the idiot ref waved play on after a foul on a Gulls player 10 yards outside the box, but after a blatant foul IN the box 2 or 3 seconds later blew up and gave it the first foul. The penalty against us? Marginal at best, but why the hell wasn’t the Woking number 9 given offside? He was a couple of yards offside when the ball was passed forward. The Lino on the pop side was another idiot, we do get them.

When I left Plainmoor yesterday I felt quite depressed, but the highlights cheered me a little as they show that we had a decent crack at Woking at times. I don’t like Woking, their fans or their over the top celebrations at the end. And as for Gerring, yes a few people gave him a few choice words. What did he expect? “Welcome back Ben, please play well and help your team to beat us”.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

The highlights make for depressing viewing. They show how close we came and how well the Woking keeper played which wasn’t always obvious at the time from where I was standing.

They also show what a poor game the ref and the Lino on the Pop Side had. Niate clearly toe pokes the ball with his left foot.

Although not shown the decision to play an advantage then bring play back to where the first foul occurred after the foul in the box beggars belief. How can someone so inept be allowed to officiate?