Torquay Run out -Entrance songs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Always seemed to stand near me with that bleeding bell,would go home with a headache :-/
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Not as loud as Lincoln supporter at Sincil
Back with the wind up siren!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Talking of wind up sirens
Merse should know what we used to run out to.
Over to you Merse
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Can't play the great escape March anymore can we?
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

WHG wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 09:06 Thought it was John Bartlett that rang a bell :whistle: :whistle:
@ Do you know if John Bartlett still around,certainly a character!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Teigngull wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 14:04 Merse should know what we used to run out to.
Over to you Merse
Been answered already. It was A Banda from 1960 at all games first, reserves, youth. In my young very keen days I used watch a lot of reserve games and A Banda was very much part of the whole atmosphere of Plainmoor. Could never understand them changing it. Merse saw his 1st Plainmoor game when he was 8, which would be 1960, so I doubt he can remember the various military music that used to be played pre-1960.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

re:military music. The Brixham Orphanage Band played that kind of stuff regularly at half-time, certainly well into the sixties and perhaps even into the seventies.
Although not a song, Snow in Newton Abbot! was a regular chant by the half-time newspaper seller (I don't know his name) who was always there.
Ken Gibbs' shouts of Charge! were regular features of the Popside in the sixties/seventies, too, while throughout his period as Prince of Plainmoor the song/chant Robin! Robin! echoed around the ground.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 10:50 re:military music. The Brixham Orphanage Band played that kind of stuff regularly at half-time, certainly well into the sixties and perhaps even into the seventies.
Although not a song, Snow in Newton Abbot! was a regular chant by the half-time newspaper seller (I don't know his name) who was always there.
Ken Gibbs' shouts of Charge! were regular features of the Popside in the sixties/seventies, too, while throughout his period as Prince of Plainmoor the song/chant Robin! Robin! echoed around the ground.
Ah nostalgia! Remember all of that. Brings tears to my eyes. Mind you Gilbert wasn't around (wasn't even born then!) ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

stefano wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 08:02 Been answered already. It was A Banda from 1960 at all games first, reserves, youth. In my young very keen days I used watch a lot of reserve games and A Banda was very much part of the whole atmosphere of Plainmoor. Could never understand them changing it. Merse saw his 1st Plainmoor game when he was 8, which would be 1960, so I doubt he can remember the various military music that used to be played pre-1960.
You're right: I can't!

I can certainly recall a Torquay United 4 Exeter City 3 and I believe that would have been in the late fifties if my memory serves me correctly. I remember too the widespread grumbling about having to play the 'rough and noisy' northern sides now that the regionalised third divisions had been converted into the fourth division and that happened in 1958-59 with United from the so called 'superior' southern section only managing to finish in twelth position whilst Port Vale, Coventry City, York City and Shrewsbury Town were the ones to go up in a never before heard of clutch of four!

I remember too, the queues to get the autograph of the great Arthur Rowley the Shrews striker but for the life of me I cannot remember any music save for that live stuff from The British Seamen's Orphan Boys' Home from Brixham marching up and down with cornets, trumpets and drums...did they even play it over the PA in those far off days?

Crystal Palace, Millwall and Watford were also on the fixture list that season whilst Oldham Athletic, Aldershot, Barrow and Southport had to stand (successfully as it happened) for re-election. Out of interest Peterborough United, Headington (now Oxford)United, Worcester City, Wigan Athletic, Cambridge City , Gloucester City, Kettering Town, South Shields, Scarborough, Yeovil Town,
Bedford Town, Hereford United, King's Lynn and Morecambe all applied unsuccessfuly with the last five not getting a single vote between them! In those days the (48) votes were held by the full member clubs of the Football League which were those from the first and second divisions whilst the 48 third and fourth division (associate) members only held four votes between them!

Midland League Peterborough's rise was inexorable however and the following summer they received 35 votes to finish second in the order whilst Gateshead who only got 18 lost their membership.

Two years later Oxford United got in replacing the resigned Accrington Stanley and the next club to get elected was Cambridge United a whole eight years later at the expense of Bradford Park Avenue.

There; that's more interesting than run-out music isn't it? By the way; A Banda is great in my opinion, whilst 'Children' is bloody sleep inducing isn't it!
Last edited by merse btpir on 09 Nov 2018, 12:32, edited 6 times in total.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Its a shame they read the teams over A Banda as you dont really get to hear it.
Tust member 191
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

This Torkway United song will be played soon...

https://x.com/tufc1899/status/1064152180322652161?s=21
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Bloody hell!! :O
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

How about 'Stomp' by The Brothers Johnson?
Or 'Bringing on Back the Good Times' by The Love Affair? :clap: :clap:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

wivelgull wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 10:50 re:military music. The Brixham Orphanage Band played that kind of stuff regularly at half-time, certainly well into the sixties and perhaps even into the seventies.
Snip Cornish was the paper seller. He was an old boxer if I recall and Dave Stacey, who still attends most matches, might know more of him.

Was Ken Gibbs the chap who stood in an old macintosh in the old pop side stand at the Ellacombe end and who would wave one arm up in a great arc as he shouted?

Then what happened to all those rattles (made by Norman Clegg) and orange boxes that some fans used to stand on?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

greb46 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 20:14 @ Do you know if John Bartlett still around,certainly a character!

He has been reported for racism in the Woking match.

http://thelondonlabia.proboards.com/thr ... cism-again