Impact of a Cup run

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Impact of a Cup run

Post by Teigngull »

Does anyone really feel a decent Cup run would impact on our league form, as is usually the fear ?
If we were to go out against Woking & lose the first fixture in the F.A. Trophy by seasons end we would have played ( depending on final league position )
42 league games
4 F.A. Cup games
1 F.A. Trophy games

47 in total

As a fully professional outfit we should have no fears or should we ?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm not too bothered at this stage. In 2007/8 we played 62 I think (Conference play-offs and Trophy final).
I'm more bothered about form and momentum, I worry that losing to Woking at this stage could do more damage than a cup run.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Teign - I'd hope that a Cup Run will help build confidence and in that way make the NLS games easier. No fears IMO. Let's go for it and use the opportunity to build a winning habit . . . :clap:

Phil - the Woking game is a chance to get it together again at the level in OUR league, and, if we can't do that - it's not going anywhere . . . just yet . . at least until the next NLS win ! Momentum is needed in this turnaround - go for it ! :goal:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As ALL the old codgers on here will know, an FA cup run is something to be aimed at and taken very seriously indeed. All the Old Codgers to whom I am speaking would have been at the 1965 3-3 draw with Spurs (and some may have even been at the 4-0 defeat of Leeds with John Charles). Denigrating the FA Cup is pure bunkum and reeks of so-called 'Premiership' culture, something we all hate and loathe. Can you imagine the reaction of Robin,Tommy, Ernie and 'The Beast' (to mention only a few) to the idea of the FA Cup as a 'tin pot trophy'? :@
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

We are now in a situation where the squad has proved to GJ inadequate at best, especially with the amount of injuries we're suffering at the moment.
Do we use the cups , with no points at risk to implement squad changes ( not rotations) risk free ?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Teigngull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:31 We are now in a situation where the squad has proved to GJ inadequate at best, especially with the amount of injuries we're suffering at the moment.
Do we use the cups , with no points at risk to implement squad changes ( not rotations) risk free ?
FA Trophy early rounds - Yes. FA Cup - Strongest X1.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Strongest team in the FA Cup for me. I realise that promotion has to be the main priority. But, we have got a bloody good chance of progressing and then a potential payday. That might just fund the signings after Xmas to get us back in the National league.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Not only find the signings but also fund them!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Willowgull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:59 Strongest team in the FA Cup for me. I realise that promotion has to be the main priority. But, we have got a bloody good chance of progressing and then a potential payday. That might just fund the signings after Xmas to get us back in the National league.
So Dave's notion of any prize money earned would probably be going into Osborne's back pocket is way off the mark or something nearer the truth ?
Imho, I'm with Dave on this one.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Teigngull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 20:09 So Dave's notion of any prize money earned would probably be going into Osborne's back pocket is way off the mark or something nearer the truth ? Imho, I'm with Dave on this one.
We can only surmise; no-one knows for sure except that there are pre-agreed business plans that the National League use as parameters as to how financial support of the team budget is applied throughout the season. It might not be as straight forward as some people imagine. Again no-one is party to those approved budgets as they stand from a National League management board point of view; no-one!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

The FA Cup money probably will go straight to CO but given the club are millions of pounds in debt to him the more money we can get from the Cup to go towards repaying that the belter!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Didn't Lincoln city go all the way to FA cup quarter final and win the National League title a few years ago?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 12:25 Didn't Lincoln city go all the way to FA cup quarter final and win the National League title a few years ago?

Yep! And won the paint trophy the following season.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Clearly there is some serious money at stake - so basically you have to play your strongest team, its a no brainer.

I think Merse has a point that we could have done with Regis on Saturday but he isn't going to play for us again so Johnson is going to stick with what we have.

I don't like to criticize the keeper as he has done well for us but whatever formation you play if he gives away two blazing howlers like that you are going to struggle to win any game.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 13:22 Clearly there is some serious money at stake - so basically you have to play your strongest team, its a no brainer.

I think Merse has a point that we could have done with Regis on Saturday but he isn't going to play for us again so Johnson is going to stick with what we have.

I don't like to criticize the keeper as he has done well for us but whatever formation you play if he gives away two blazing howlers like that you are going to struggle to win any game.
Agree re F.A. cup games. Not so sure about the Trophy Cup. Disagree re Regis. I think he was a misfit.

Not so sure that McDonald was badly at fault for their second goal, but you probably had a better view from the Bench than me on the Pop side. The strong wind and rain made it difficult conditions for 'keepers. He has done okay for us up until now.