Weston Super Mare v Torquay United 30/10/2018 ko 7.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'll clarify for you Wivel. It was incorrectly reported at the time and still is case, I know Matt, I was stood with him and others throughout the entire second half, I saw everything that happened, it was a cup of tea which had been brought at halftime, it wasn't red hot, no where near a full cup either, which struck Owers mostly on his shoulder not his face. Furthermore​ Matt was perfectly well behaved throughout the game at no time did he start or get involved in any trouble, I'm at a loss to know why he did what he did, out of character for the Matt I know, I don't condone or defend what he did, but atleast he didn't try and hide, and indenfied himself to the club, if he and the club choose not to make the result of an investigation that was ongoing, that is Thier choice and right to do so.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You can't justify it. Whether it hit Owers in the face, hot or cold. Really makes no difference (apart from the degree of assault if it had been hot and injured him)

He has still committed a criminal offence.

I cannot agree either that the trouble at WSM was that minor. Spitting all over their keeper. Dutsbins thrown on the pitch. Completely out of order.

As for Kernowgull saying that WSM's security arrangements were irrelevant - well that's just nonsense. It doesn't excuse what happened but if you give a few nutters carte blanche to cause trouble, that's exactly what they will do.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Brucie is right Tea-Gate can be considered common assault.

I know as I was arrested for a spousal abuse because I has a pillow fight with the ex-wife, and she objected. Ridiculous? Not so In today's non-crime policing society the "victim's" perceptions and the objective actions can be interpreted in many ways.

The maximum sentence for common assault under s.39 of the CJA 1988 is 6 months. So where on the scale did the Tea-Gate offence come? Unsurprisingly, it will be right at the very bottom with a likely outcome of a conditional discharge and a order to pay costs (if found guilty). In such events the perpetrators may well be seen by others as gaining a badge of honour. Not the best outcome, so I tend to agree that the best way to deal with these situations is to call the offenders 'Out' by naming and shaming them.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

wivelgull wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 09:47 Just to clarify one point: was it 'teagate' or 'coffeegate' at Evesham?
'Beveragegate' !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Are we going to get any Video Highlights of the WSM game?

I was at Weston but would like to see the penalty award as I was at the opposite end but I did have a close up view of Opie scoring a great goal.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Was wondering the same thing. I was behind the goal and didn't for one moment think a penalty would be given as the ball flew out for a corner.

One things for sure Nabi was nowhere near the goal when the incident happened so a red card seemed absolutely ridiculous.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 12:19...the best way to deal with these situations is to call the offenders 'Out' by naming and shaming them.
From little acorns do great oaks grow...

Verbal abuse and interference with the manager doing his job at Slough
Assaulting the manager at Evesham and general anti-social behaviour
Escalating disorder at Weston

...it's getting worse because the initial incident at Slough wasn't dealt with , leading to another big silly making an arse of himself at Evesham and now total embarrassment and possible consequences for all after Weston.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 11:02 You can't justify it. Whether it hit Owers in the face, hot or cold. Really makes no difference (apart from the degree of assault if it had been hot and injured him)

He has still committed a criminal offence.

I cannot agree either that the trouble at WSM was that minor. Spitting all over their keeper. Dutsbins thrown on the pitch. Completely out of order.

As for Kernowgull saying that WSM's security arrangements were irrelevant - well that's just nonsense. It doesn't excuse what happened but if you give a few nutters carte blanche to cause trouble, that's exactly what they will do.
Nowhere does Forever try to justify what happened. The lad obviously reacted in the heat of the moment after yet another Owers-inspired dismal display, and no doubt he knew it was a very stupid thing to do the moment he did it. He immediately owned up and unless Owers wishes to take the matter further, I think the sensible thing to do would be to reprimand the lad for being such a stupid idiot and warn him about his future behaviour. I'm sure he has learned his lesson.

I'm puzzled about all the hot air about Wealdstone and WSM crowd segregation. Er ...... don't we operate a crowd segregation policy at Plainmoor, albeit visiting fans get a better view of the pitch than apparently Gulls fans did at Wealdstone? And some credit should be given to the Wealdstone stewards for showing common sense by NOT ejecting those Gulls fans who were amongst the home fans. Do you think the Plainmoor stewards would show similar common sense? I'm not confident they would.

Fans in their dotage like me, Portugull, Wivel and Stefano will remember the days of 10,000 plus at home games and over 20,000 for the great cup games against Huddersfield, Birmingham and Spurs. No stewards ....... and little or no trouble. Ah, the good old days .......... !! ;-)
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

portugull wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 12:37 Are we going to get any Video Highlights of the WSM game?

I was at Weston but would like to see the penalty award as I was at the opposite end but I did have a close up view of Opie scoring a great goal.
Highlights available on Weston s own website, their penalty looks as if it came off of Nabis shoulder, hence the reason why GJ is appealing the red card
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What an absolute farce of a decision that was. Whats Nabi supposed to do? jump on the ground to avoid the ball?

To get a red card for that is just laughable. That's ultimately cost us the game and is a joke.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just watched the Highlights twice. Samir Nabi could not possibly have got out of the way and the ball would not have flown over the bar had he INTENTIONALLY handled. It struck his shoulder at speed and rocketed well over the bar.
His hand was nowhere near the ball but just look how close the WSM striker was to Nabi when he blazed the ball with all his might.
Ludicrous decision.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

The ref was homer, hated that phrase as it always seemed to point to a sore loser but some of his early decisions were shocking.
Shame really as thus far I've been surprisingly impressed by some of the refine at this level.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Poor show though, blaming the referee.
We didn't deserve anything from that game.
Weston played well out of defence and were direct when they could get forward.

We played for 15 mins at the start of the second half and then disappeared again.

I don't blame the ref for that.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

toastkid wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 23:00 Poor show though, blaming the referee.
We didn't deserve anything from that game.
Weston played well out of defence and were direct when they could get forward.

We played for 15 mins at the start of the second half and then disappeared again.

I don't blame the ref for that.
There’s a huge difference between (1) blaming the ref for losing/playing badly and (2) pointing out the huge errors made by this imbecilic ref during the match. The penalty decision was a disgrace and the sending off was beyond idiotic. I’m sorry, but yes we played well below our best and yes we didn’t really deserve to win, but the ref was dreadful and he made an unforgivable mistake that cost us a goal. If we don’t win the appeal then we will have every right to be livid. I hope I never see this ref again, he’s an incompetent fool.