Weston Super Mare v Torquay United 30/10/2018 ko 7.45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I am not condoning spitting or their keeper being hit, if that happened, but their scorer spent a good 15-20 seconds goading in front of the Torquay supporters

Scoring in the last minute, after a saved penalty, when emotions were high was not going to result in him being applauded and congratulated.

Maybe he should have stuck to mingling with his pocket of fans in the corner and not inflame what was already a mad 5 minutes.

My estimate is that there were at least 1000 of us there last night and with no policing (till the end) or proper stewarding, the fans were a credit to the club
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Lets have a reality check,
Wealdstone 2-2 Torquay
Weston super mare 0-3 Torquay

Majority would've taken that sequence of results & said that was a good return, let's remember where we've come from 2 months or so ago.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 14:18 Lets have a reality check,
Wealdstone 2-2 Torquay
Weston super mare 0-3 Torquay

Majority would've taken that sequence of results & said that was a good return, let's remember where we've come from 2 months or so ago.
:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

1. Employ proper stewards - not someone who will stand there and just let tens of people into the ground without saying anything. Farcical

2. Use proper segregation ie in this case allocate the large stand to away supporters. Keeps ALL one teams supporters in one part of the ground and minimizes the chance of trouble in three sides of the ground like last night. Farcical.

3. Do not leave large objects - (like dustbins) lying around where they can be used as missiles. Farcical.

4. Have a fit for purpose police force who can respond adequately if called on - not like the useless rabble who rocked up last night. Farcical.

Noone is denying that probably ALL of the trouble was caused by our supporters last night but to be honest that's almost completely irrelevant. In a number of 1100 away football supporters you are obviously going to get an element of troublemakers.

Lets get real though - these were not the Russian Ultras, they were just brainless idiots given free reign to do whatever they wanted. If you don't think that WSM were culpable you are actually nuts. They brought it upon themselves.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Richinns wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 13:53 So - you are blaming WSM? How about looking closer to home at those throwing things onto the pitch and at their players. It has also been reported that someone 'spat' at their goalkeeper. Make no mistake - we might be a big club and a large fan base for the division we now find ourselves in but that is no excuse for this type of behaviour. Passion is one thing but disorderly behaviour is another and should not be accepted in any circumstances. Fantastic turnout and support by 98% who attended in our name which has been tarnished by the select 2% of complete and utter morons.
Yes for not having an appropriate number stewards. Of course its not WSM fault that a small number of idiots who threw stuff at their keeper or at any players.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Against Wealdstone I concurred with Merse's comment "What was the feckin' point of the segregation anyway?"

Then 3 days later our club is under the spotlight due to the actions of a few who seem completely unable to exercise any self-discipline. And the question now raised is why the Weston game was not segregated? Given the sheer number of Torquay supporters I am glad to say that the majority behaved in a mature, friendly fashion as has been the case in all our away matches. There’s banter, yes, but respect too. In all the away matches I have been too this season (aside from Wealdstone) there has been generally a common bond between fans and club in this 'regional football' league. I have enjoyed my away days this season not just for the football but for the local beer, cheap prices, freedom of movement around the ground, the ability to stand and drink, and great family atmosphere. I would like that to continue this season.

So the options are simple: segregate us at away matches as if all Torquay supporters were part of an 'Antifa Movement' like some pack of vandals who were about to swarm and menace the 'regional' clubs and therefore need to be 'corralled like cattle' into a terraced stockade or 'OUT' the few silly prats who are not genuine supporters but think going to one Torquay match a season and 'givin' it large' is some sort of badge of honour.]

When Gary Johnson talked about creating a reputation I don't think a reputation of badly behaved supporters was the reputation he was thinking off.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start the problems at last nights game were fairly minor and shouldn't be overstated, thought Gloucester away was far worse. WSM have to shoulder some of the blame, they hopelessly underprepared for 300, let the 500 estimated,or the 1000 that turned, our fans could of ran a mock and wrecked the place, there was no one there to have stopped it, don't segregation, instead £10, make £11, and some proper security.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry for multiple posting, only have internet via phone at the moment finding posting difficult. Watched first half from the big stand, went behind the goal at the other end second half, there a small group causing problems down there, a big steward came down took away the dustbins and stood there for a while, he left problems started again, a small fight broke out between Torquay fans, when some one got spat at, no one came down, left to other Torquay fans who stepped in and sorted it out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The Farmers Friend »

MellowYellow wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 16:17segregate us at away matches as if all Torquay supporters were part of an 'Antifa Movement'
Weird bit of political one-sidedness. Are you Donald Trump?

My minimal contact with our wannabe hoolie element suggests they've got more in common with the people Antifa groups are against.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The Farmers Friend wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:31 Weird bit of political one-sidedness. Are you Donald Trump?

My minimal contact with our wannabe hoolie element suggests they've got more in common with the people Antifa groups are against.
If that's what you think then you need to get out more. Try any Antifa demonstration and you'll see plenty in hoodies with scarves hiding their faces while they cause no end of trouble. If you think Mellow is Trump does that make you Corbyn?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The Farmers Friend wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:31 Weird bit of political one-sidedness. Are you Donald Trump?

Was used for effect rather than political commentary so quite happy for it to be changed to part of the 'Metropolitan Liberal Elite' like a rowdy mob of Marxists from Islington North Central if that sit's better with you. ( I know it wont with Merse :whistle: )
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:50 If that's what you think then you need to get out more. Try any Antifa demonstration and you'll see plenty in hoodies with scarves hiding their faces while they cause no end of trouble. If you think Mellow is Trump does that make you Corbyn?
Sounds more like Dianne Abbot !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Funnily enough I thought that after I pressed the Submit tab 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

If the smaller clubs at this level of football think they can just cream in the extra revenue without investing in stewarding and food and drink then more fool them...

It is just this level of small-time naivety that morons will take advantage of; go to a bigger club with more professional set-ups and they would not try it.

This is the level we have sunk to and we have to get on with it; if I was on the league management committee I would be proposing Torquay United need to take their own dedicated stewards to the matches at these little clubs. Maybe it won't happen again due to logistics though with only Concord Rangers and East Thurrock representing the minimal scale of ground and club that Evesham and Weston represented. You ever tried getting to those two Thames Estuary locations? Brightlingsea was similar and hardly anybody went there from the south west and it is amongst this element that the trouble emanates. No issue with ex-pats at all; most of us are too bloody old for that sort of senile delinquency!

A shame that this is happening; but it is almost inevitable with the 'Mongs who latch on to this. I pulled a 'grumpy' on a couple in the Wealdstone car park gobbing off in tuneless purgatory about the Wealdstone Raider telling them that if they wanted to confront him they'd have to wait until they grew up and would be allowed in the social club and that if they did manage to get in there they'd soon be out on their arses if they behaved like that.

Jesus Christ; the Wealdstone Raider ~ all five foot two of him ~ and they're silly enough to take all that social media generated publicity for actualite. He's just their 'Paul Bastard' really a lovable little character egged on by his mates to get a little bit of publicity for a small sized club. We used to have a racist bigot with a bell didn't we; what a feckin' embarrassment he was as well!
Last edited by merse btpir on 31 Oct 2018, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The Farmers Friend »

Southampton Gull wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:50 If that's what you think then you need to get out more.
Says the bloke with a post count approaching 8,000...

Are you saying there's no far-right element amongst our Stone Island warriors then, oh Voice of Plainmoor?