A Tribute to a Missing Fan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
uberwozza
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: caldwell

Post by uberwozza »

My Dad is also now diasabled following a stroke, so I am now also starting to get used to using the Disabled section at the ground.

I have to say I am also very impressed by the facilities in the Bench (thanks again Tony Jordan), and particularly the helpfulness of the TUFC staff who did anything they could to help.

However, I also agree with the need for a roof for that area so for anyone watching from TUFC please try to resolve this for our League 2 campaign next year
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

SkyBlue - nice to see an update.

I've sent you a PM
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

uberwozza wrote:My Dad is also now diasabled following a stroke, so I am now also starting to get used to using the Disabled section at the ground.

I have to say I am also very impressed by the facilities in the Bench (thanks again Tony Jordan), and particularly the helpfulness of the TUFC staff who did anything they could to help.

However, I also agree with the need for a roof for that area so for anyone watching from TUFC please try to resolve this for our League 2 campaign next year
Mentioned by AC at recent Focus Group meeting, the club are aware of it and plans are afoot. Sadly, these things take time and will be dealt with not earlier than the summer.

Despite the nonsense sometimes peddled on here, the club are hugely receptive to ideas and suggestions from supporters. If you come across anything especially user friendly, or that you'd love to see implemented for the disabled at Plainmoor, a well worded E-Mail to AC would, I'm sure, be gratefully received.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Make sure we all know when you intend to get him to the ground so we can all lobby the club to make it a real occasion.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

im sure fans wouldnt mind putting there hand in there pockets to help, i for one wouldnt mind making a donation to such a good cause. :)
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

It is with some sadness that I have to report that – some 6 years after my original post -my father in law, Ian McPhail , passed away on Friday at the age of 96

Without recounting the long original post – feel free to re-read it – he never did manage to sit in his 5 year season ticket seat in Bristows bench that he bought for his 90th birthday 2 weeks before his stroke.

I did manage to get him to about 12 games in those 6 years – it would have been more but there were times when he wasn’t well or the weather wasn’t good – before there was a roof on the disabled area. Also quite difficult to arrange and carry out when I lived over 200 miles away – and always a major operation to get him to and from the ground.

The last game was Tranmere last season but it was pretty fruitless after that as his condition deteriorated and he lost all interest in the club and game – as he did with most things in the last 2 years.

He had been a season ticket holder since the late 60s – he sponsored games and players and balls in the past through his business – Poppins Restaurant – in the 70s and 89s. He shared a box with Tony Boyce and was on good terms with Frank O Farrell.

There was one moment of lucidity that he had some years ago when he wouldn’t stop talking about all things TUFC. One particular story -apparently he lived a few doors away from Alan Brown – the manager at that time – and – all the players regularily came in for a fry up of sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding and all the trimmings after training – with the manager as well!!!!!! How times have changed.

I believe he has bequeathed me his 200 shares in the club but I am sure that they are meaningless/worthless – it did seem to get him to each AGM and accounts each year.

In many ways I am glad that he became unaware of the clubs demise over the last few years as it would have upset him. It almost mirrored his decline

It is unfortunate that in days gone by – with all his connections with the club – that his passing would have got a mention in the programme but under the current regime they probably don’t know who the hell he is/was.

Anyway there will be one less fan. However – probably as revenge for me pinching and marrying his eldest daughter he converted me to being a TUFC fan and I will carry ensure that I continue the legacy and have a shout out on his behalf when I attend matches.

RIP Ian McPhail - 1922 - 2018
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

A nice post, summing up the family connections I think most of us have.
My condolences to you and your family.
TUST number 080
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Sharing in your sadness as we remember Ian. It would be remiss and reductionist to label Ian as a mere fan. There was a much greater connection, he was part of the clubs lifeblood. Regrettably, we have almost forgotten that the meaning of football club is a club formed for the purpose of its members/supporters. The evolution of football since the Frank O'Farrell era is a vast majority of fans (excluding exiles) never go to a football match because they are quite happy to follow it at home, either on the TV/Radio or the internet. So on the occasion when a local media supporter does attend Plainmoor it Is something to watch, not something to be involved in and be part of - the likes of supporters such as Ian, is becoming a distant memory.

Although I expect Ian would have be mortified to see our club at the lowest ebb in it's history, we are still lucky to have a loyal core of fans who still remain the lifeblood of the club. There is still a future at TUFC. it just up to us fans to shape it .. in memory of Ian and all those loyal supporters who have gone before him.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Condolences to you and the family at this time.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Knowing how hard you tried to improve those disabled facilities I can only pass on my sincere condolences on the passing of your father in law. I'm sure he was proud of you as any father would be to know his daughter married such a true gentleman.

You've always got a friend and ally on this forum.

RIP!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Truly sorry to hear of your father in law's passing. Condolences to you all.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry for your loss Skyblue, condolences to you and your family. Also can I thank you for sharing your, and your father-in-laws story with us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I would just like to echo what everybody else has posted and sincere condolences to your family Skyblue
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

My condolences, Skyblue, to you and your father-in-law's family. It must have been a difficult six years for him and family since his stroke. 96 is a wonderful age, but there is always a sadness when the end comes, whatever the age.

It would be a nice gesture if Ian's long-term support going back to the days when the Gulls were Magpies could be announced during half time at the Winchester game - or even a minute's silence for such a long standing supporter.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Yes for a supporter to have been so loyal and contributed a lot to the club must be worthy of acknowledgement at a game.RIP and deepest condolences.