The appraisal is now done

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 10:05 I think what is apparent within the club pre GJ & bro is that absolutely NO due.diligence was done with player recruitment of retainment for that matter, Gary Owers inherited a crap squad of perennial under achievers garnered together by ( at best ) a wet behind the ears manager way out of his depth, & then managed to end up with the worst ever team to represent the good name of Torquay United by signing anyone & everyone who was available in the hope he would stumble across a solution & ended up catapulting us into the abyss & ultimate failure, & unbelievably was given a second bite at cherry , shocking decision from GH et al, should we have expected any different ?
Time will tell, but at least there is no transfer window at our level, let's hope GJ is given carte Blanche & there is no interference from those who don't know.r
There is a view that a fair few of this squad will be dispensed with by the time this season comes to end.
The sooner the better
The same wet behind the ears and out of his depth manager that had kept us in National football for 2 successive years of non investment prior to the worst manager in our history, you know, the one you backed. The same one who took us into regional football without a whimper. Get over it, time has proven Nicholson was well ahead of anything Owers did.

Johnson is on a different level to both of them but don't try and insinuate Owers was an improvement over Nicholson because clearly he wasn't.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

It just proves the " contacts " statement " & the bloody long wait was a smoke screen to try & pull the wool over us fans eyes, but thanks to Southampton Dave & Merse amongst a few others we were able to see through all of that bovine excrement spouted from GH's crisp filled gob.
How GH is still involved is ,at best, unbelievably wrong, at worst, downright farcical. To say Gary Owers was head hunted for his knowledge & know how----- best joke of 2017
Maybe George Edwards will be the best signing CO's made, at least we now have Professionals who actually know what it takes to be a successful football club.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 10:05 I think what is apparent within the club pre GJ & bro is that absolutely NO due.diligence was done with player recruitment of retainment for that matter, Gary Owers inherited a crap squad of perennial under achievers garnered together by ( at best ) a wet behind the ears manager way out of his depth, & then managed to end up with the worst ever team to represent the good name of Torquay United by signing anyone & everyone who was available in the hope he would stumble across a solution & ended up catapulting us into the abyss & ultimate failure, & unbelievably was given a second bite at cherry , shocking decision from GH et al, should we have expected any different ?
Time will tell, but at least there is no transfer window at our level, let's hope GJ is given carte Blanche & there is no interference from those who don't know.r
There is a view that a fair few of this squad will be dispensed with by the time this season comes to end.
The sooner the better
do me a favour and get your 22 carat gold Owers blinkers off FFS.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 15:27 Johnson is on a different level to both of them but don't try and insinuate Owers was an improvement over Nicholson because clearly he wasn't.
The average tenure of a manager in the football league is 1.23 years so Nicho can consider himself to have had a fair innings and I was grateful for his effort in dire times of our club history. In a results orientated game to many fans, regrettably, become fixated on the notion a new man could change our fortunes singlehandedly, whilst not submitting to the notion that 'new does not always mean better'. Our Owner then - by his own admission - made a 'knee jerk' reaction when it was not rocket science to figure out that what our club required was a talented manager to lift us through the leagues - not just a change..

The incoming manager inherited a side that apparently were in poor form having struggled in the first 4 games – the new incumbent had only to perform against the worst expectation of form to see an improvement. He unbelievably struggled to do that! Even though the writing was on the wall right from the outset I was totally surprised how many stood in support on the basis of 'give him time' as we watched week in, week out, our freefall into regional football.

Johnson is on a different level, will steady the ship and take a new approach that will yield gains. For the first time in many a season I think we can be assured that 'It's Coming Home' 'It's Coming Home'...
Last edited by MellowYellow on 05 Oct 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Bawling gone to Oxford City. Initial one month loan.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I would imagine Gary Johnson was hired with the remit to get us promoted this season. So if an appraisal after one month is required, I would imagine he would be quietly thinking , who the hell signed half this squad on full time contracts. Whether Owers/hedges is to blame is not the answer now. We should now be getting fully behind the new management set up to sort this mess out. The players over recent years have taken the piss, it's now a reverse situation.
Lucy
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Gary Johnson et al have all arrived here due to an increase in budget by Osborne. We all know why Osborne has targeted our club but none of us expected it or can fathom it.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I suppose it's too much to hope that there's an adblocker for TV adverts - the bane of my [and everyone else's] life.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Good to be able to feel optimistic after the appointment of a proper proven manager. GO tried hard enough but perhaps Management was not his greatest strength - fair to say though, he did sign/re-sign some decent players and deserves some positives from that?
MacDonald
Essuman
Cameron
Davis
Hall
Reid
Keating
Burton
Williams
Dickson
Niate
No doubt the jury is out on a couple more but with GJs additions (and loans) the squad foes look more solid.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

Who is Burton?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Goalkeeper. Played in PSF against Cardiff City.
Not our player but I guess emergency rules apply as we only have 2 keepers and Bass is injured.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Lets be honest the club has been run very poorly even when Buckle was here and a lot will not like it but it started around the time Colin Lee left. He was the only football person behind the scenes.
Martyn Ling had a good run but behind the scenes we were living beyond our means.
All the managers after had no idea how to turn the club around on the right budget. Nicholson struggled but it was harder for Owers as he followed all the crap but he did bring in a few good defenders during the close season.
Johnson comes in with experience,contacts and has the chairman's confidence.
If the lady had kept her hand in her pocket perhaps we would have survived on lower budgets.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think the way the club was and is run and the continuing debate on the attributes or lack of them of our previous managers actually achieves very little in terms of moving forward, while we have the insight and largely factual postings of Merse on the way the club has been run we have at some point got to look and move forward, we are in this league for reasons too numerous to mention and each of us will have our own opinion which will not be changed by the postings of others. We can not live in the past for ever as much as the nostalgia of past glories acts as a magnet for our memories.
I would like to see Owers retire to the home for failed managers so that he cannot inflict any more harm on another football club. I would like to see Nicholson have another chance in some aspect of football purely because he is such a nice bloke, and I would like to see Harrop out on the streets where he belongs. I would like to win the euro lottery and buy the club. But until that happens I will still turn up every Saturday and keep hoping that things get better.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

culmstockgull wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 17:08I would like to see Nicholson have another chance in some aspect of football purely because he is such a nice bloke
That's not a reason to put him in charge of something he he is patently not qualified to do competently ~ has he got another job? No! ~ and if you did then you are as daft as the last lottery winner we had!

This club has to be run professionally and competently!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

merse btpir wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 21:29 That's not a reason to put him in charge of something he he is patently not qualified to do competently ~ has he got another job? No! ~ and if you did then you are as daft as the last lottery winner we had!

This club has to be run professionally and competently!
As I professed on BTPIR today under my other guise.
:goodpost: Merse
Now prepare yourself for the wrath of SNW & of course you know who.