Torquay United V Woking - 29/09/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Good to see that Reid made it into the Non League paper's team of the day for North and South divisions.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

MellowYellow wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 17:14 Don't you just wish Matchdays came with a 'Pause Button'.
No, I don't.
Did your mother not tell you " one swallow doesn't make a relationship " ?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 13:36 No, I don't.
Did your mother not tell you " one swallow doesn't make a relationship " ?
Afraid not. But she did tell me "A Gull in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush"
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Uberwozza-san wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 08:16Our 23 was rubbish, what is his name??
I think you've got off lightly with that stupid comment......give Saikou Janneh the respect and dignity of learning his name before posting such crass stupidity about an eighteen year old who's assist enabled the equaliser to be scored. Give his family the respect of working out how to spell his name too. If his mother or father are there in the ground hearing such ignorance, how do you think they feel?

Welcome to Torquay huh?

Others have pointed out the inaccuracy of your opinion; I only wish to ask you to at least discover the name of the player you wish to comment on and treat him with the respect he is due.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

merse btpir wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 15:18 I think you've got off lightly with that stupid comment......give Saikou Janneh the respect and dignity of learning his name before posting such crass stupidity about an eighteen year old who's assist enabled the equaliser to be scored. Give his family the respect of working out how to spell his name too. If his mother or father are there in the ground hearing such ignorance, how do you think they feel?

Welcome to Torquay huh?

Others have pointed out the inaccuracy of your opinion; I only wish to ask you to at least discover the name of the player you wish to comment on and treat him with the respect he is due.
For the fear of being accused of starting a love in with you Merse.....
:goodpost:
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

in fairness to Uberwozza San with no names on the back of the shirts the most practical way to identify a player is by their number.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

forevertufc wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 09:38 Yes, it's very easy to be over critical of Janneh's performance, he did miss a couple of sitters, but for me it's about the bigger picture, and about seeing what all of us fans sometimes miss.

For a start he is a very young player, not sure how much senior football experience he has , it can't be a lot, if any. As already stated, his pace, movement and trickery, was causing Woking's defence to have kittens at times, sure I've read a comment somewhere, apologies can't remember where or by whom, about Janneh's very presence on the field freeing up Jamie Reid, something I totally agree with.

For me the important thing is, Janneh kept, time and time again, getting himself in good attacking positions, he may well have been a tad over eager to impress, this may have caused a lack of composure in his finishing, he'll settle down and that will come, as said the important thing is, he's getting himself in the right place to finish regularly.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Shangull wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 15:59 in fairness to Uberwozza San with no names on the back of the shirts the most practical way to identify a player is by their number.
Sorry, but I disagree with you on this one.
Just because we don't have names on our backs ( I'm old enough to remember the old days of 1-12 ) it's easy enough to find out his name , there were probably 100 + around you in the ground who knew it.
Stop making daft excuses.
And yes it does matter !
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 17:07 Sorry, but I disagree with you on this one.
Just because we don't have names on our backs ( I'm old enough to remember the old days of 1-12 ) it's easy enough to find out his name , there were probably 100 + around you in the ground who knew it.
And yes it does matter !
But people calling “their no 3” a cheat is ok is it?
Let’s have a bit of consistency here chaps.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

It has been a long time since I enjoyed a match at Plainmoor, but that was a good entertaining game and a credit to NLS in my opinion. If I was a Woking fan, I wouldn't be happy with that performance. From the start, they slowed the game down and it looked to me as if their game plan was to play for a draw. Then when 2 - 0 up, with about an hour still to play, they began time-wasting tactics and dropped back to defend a two-goal lead instead of going for a third or even a fourth. Fatal. It let us back into the game and we could have easily snatched a winner at the end.

Gary Johnson will have learned some useful lessons about his players yesterday. Chris Regis was creating nothing. He looked well out of his depth. I like Ruari Keating's 'all action' style, but sadly it showed yesterday that he can't compete against a decent side. Hey - we're 2 - 0 down and GJ takes off a defender and sends on a striker! Now there's a good idea!! Owers would never have thought of that. By the way, full marks to the ref. It was a frantic 90 minute all action game and he didn't get much wrong ..... and a lot right. In fact, all of the refs we've had at Plainmoor this season have been okay.

I was surprised to read Merse on another thread saying that Tommy O'Sullivan has not got himself fixed up with a club this season. We have been weak in midfleld until Lemonheigh-Evans came on yesterday and teamed up well with Jake Andrews. Regis is not the answer and neither do I think the injured Nabi is. I thought O'Sullivan looked useful in the games he played last season so I'd like to see him given a short-term, say three month contract, to prove himself. I know he picked up an injury last season and was out for a while. Maybe he is seen to be injury-prone and this is why hasn't been signed by anyone?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

If their n'o3 was cheating or playing games or whatever he was doing then yes , call him out by all means.
If you expect us to know the names of the opposition then forget it, they are the opposition , they don't matter to me, if he was cheating then it's surely down to the referee to ' take his name '
No consistency required on the subject, just look out for your own.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I've just listened to Mr. Johnson's post[-match interview. GILBERT seemed very excited.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 15:28 For the fear of being accused of starting a love in with you Merse.....
The young guy changed the game for us! Thought he was great!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

notnow wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 20:21 The young guy changed the game for us! Thought he was great!
so did [more importantly] GJ . Listen to his after match interview.
Subs were tactical
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 17:07 Sorry, but I disagree with you on this one.
And yes it does matter !
Either a 'fair weather fan' who isn't even sure what colour shirts we wear or didn't buy a programme.