Torquay United V Woking - 29/09/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Glad to have gone again today,we might not have won like we were all hoping but the players certainly put in the effort for GJ,the atmosphere was electric in the last few minutes,been awhile since its been like that.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Teigngull wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 16:33 Lets be honest. ....Reid, amongst a few others in this squad, are just not good enough to mount a serious promotion assault for this league.
Don't you just wish Matchdays came with a 'Pause Button'.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

In the dressing room the result and the manner of our fight back has gotta feel like a win. Could have a significant psychological impact moving forward in future matches. A team that gives everything to final whistle and refuses to be beaten.... I like the sound of that.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Not often does a team look so different in each half. Second half we played football and could have won it. First we just hoofed it long and Woking looked far better. Great spirit and atmosphere. Last game I was at Plainmoor was Fylde when were effectively relegated. This was a bit different!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Excellent second half performance, played Woking off the field and could have won it. What a difference to the games under Owers. Gutsy, committed performances from most players. Superb atmosphere, GJ on the field at the end. Felt great to be there. The ref gave Woking their first goal through his ineptitude.

PS The number 3 for Woking, their skipper, is a cheating little ponce.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Two minutes before half time we saw the art of football management, a lot of people around me were saying make that substitution so close to half time, for me, it sent a message out to every TUFC players regardless of whether they were in starting 11, on the bench or not in the match day squad, there are standards expected and if you don't meet them your getting hauled off, and it worked within a minute the team should have scored and halved the deficit.

Second half chalk and cheese really, what a difference, first 15 minutes and number of guilt edged chances missed by Janneh, but to be fair his pace and movement was caused Woking no end of problems, also Woking clearly a very good side at this level, had we been playing any lesser opponent feel sure our team would have battered them off the park in that second half, what a difference, largely made by Connor L- Evans, we could easily have this game in the second half on missed chances, but Woking always looked dangerous on the counter.

Don't think I've celebrated a goal with such feeling and passion as did the second, of two very well taken goals by Reid, who's benefitting from being played in the correct position, wide midfielder he is not, never has been or will be, central striker is what he is, and proved his worth today.

We can't say, we have our club back, but we've certainly got our team back. Once again from the team to the fans it felt we're truly untied once again. long may it continue.
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Never was the statement that it was a game of two halves been more true. Not sure if we were expecting another Lymington but god were we bad in the first half, Keating and Reid could not attack unless they were holding hands always going for the same position, both our fullbacks were having a nightmare, Regis was like a rabbit in the headlights, and Asa Hall is either a midfield playmaker or a sweeper where he played most of the first half. Having said that second half ,what a revelation, the young loan players bossed the game and we could have won , overall a draw was the fair result, regardless of Reid scoring two , he missed a hat full, we really need an experienced centre forward.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The substitutions before halftime got us back in the game but the late introduction of Williams got us the draw. I would be looking to find a formation to fit Williams behind the two strikers being a third striker in our next game. It was a good result after our bad start.
It shows you what a manager can bring to a game.
Yes Brucie well done Jamie Reid. :clap:
Last edited by arcadia on 29 Sep 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What a fantastic comeback.

Possibly this result was actually as good as a win as its likely to do wonders for morale. Well done to Jamie Reid.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

About time we got a feel good factor back in the team. Great atmosphere and a result against the top team even though we didn’t play well has to bode well for the rest of the season.
BUT still allot of work to do.......
Defence looked shaky
We didn’t battle enough in the mid field in the first half
Too many long balls
And not enough chances for all the possession (did the keeper have to make a save until the goals)
Loved Reid’s work rate looked like a differnt player, deserved to score.
Agree with a previous post at the time I said the timing of the substitutions was a real message. Good management
All in all a good day.
COYY
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Well what a result, atmosphere and second half performance! If we play like we did 2nd half all season then we will be right in the promotion hunt. It’s just first half we let in one unlucky goal and one good goal.

It was brilliant to be back at a properly rocking plainmoor today. Its been a long while since I experienced that which has been a shame. Cooome onnnn you yellows!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

GJ needs to give his half-time teamtalk at the START of matches please.
TUST member 200 ;-)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

drummergull90 wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 18:52 Well what a result, atmosphere and second half performance! If we play like we did 2nd half all season then we will be right in the promotion hunt. It’s just first half we let in one unlucky goal and one good goal.

It was brilliant to be back at a properly rocking plainmoor today. Its been a long while since I experienced that which has been a shame. Cooome onnnn you yellows!
I fully agree with that sentiment. The atmosphere has gone from toxic to positive in a couple of weeks.

Great that Reidy is playing with more freedom, the monkey is well and truly off his back.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Absolutely agree with forevertufc GJ sent a clear message of intent with the double substitution in the 43rd minute.
He was sending a message to all the players and the fans that he will not accept an ineffective performance.
Lemonheigh- Evans was excellent and made Regis look what he was poor.
I like Keating but Janneh even though he missed a hat trick of chances is different class to Keating.
Janneh will learn from today and his pace and skill will prove invaluable as most teams in this league will not be as resolute as Woking.
Fantastic atmosphere at Plainmoor today and we are only 2 points off the play offs but GJ knows what he is doing and I will be astounded if we are not in the play offs at the end of the season at the very worst. COYY.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I have every confidence in this manager. He clearly knows what he is doing. We are now a mobile team with pace and movement. The crowd gave him a fantastic reception pre game and during the 90 minutes he demonstrated quite clearly why he is so highly regarded.