Famous Bands from Torbay

General chat about anything else goes here.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Jerry wrote: I remember seeing the original incarnation of Mad Hatter at The Parrot (before it became a block of flats!) back in the early '90s. :bow:
That's the one, I wasn't around for that, I joined for the '2.0' stage, but we did play a gig effectively playing an old Mad Hatter set list down in Plymouth a while back, for a birthday treat for an old friend of Pig's! :)
BananaMan66
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Gilbert The Gull

Post by BananaMan66 »

Not wishing to show my age but has everyone forgotten Theatre of Hate/ Spear of Destiny? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Brandon

Kirk's younger brother Marlon was in the same class as my brother at the Sacred Heart School in Paignton

Always a very underatted musician
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Didn't Kirk get expelled from Churston Grammar???
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Two very different bands
Wishbone Ash - the Turner brothers
The Adverts - TV Smith & Gaye Advert
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: 27 Sep 2013, 10:52 The news that members/former members of Wishbone Ash were in dispute over copyright issues got me thinking about other bands/musicians from Torbay who had made it big in the past-or currently. Unfortunately there seems to be very few-despite Muse(Teignmouth),Ben Howard(Totnes),and Joseph Mount/Metronomy(Totnes),doing so well in recent times.There's a fair few who've had a good go at being successful-but none ever seem to quite make the big-time.The Nightporters for instance,are very successful abroad,but not so popular in this country(though they have a solid following),but are now splitting anyway, going the way it seems of a lot of other local bands who can't make a real break through after showing the potential to do so.
Best prospects at the moment seem to be Those Reigning Days,who I've seen a couple of times and seem to me to have what it takes to make it.
There's a few others as well and a half decent local music scene at present with a few venues offering the chance for local bands to make a name for themselves and build a following. To many venues though mainly put on so-called "tribute bands";few of whom are very good, and who of course rely completely on old material, rehashed -rather than original song-writing.
Hopefully Torbay will one day find a Muse or Coldplay though-it would be great for the area and long overdue!
None of the three mentioned are from Torbay lol
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

usagullmichigan wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 19:17 None of the three mentioned are from Torbay lol
Torbay-adjacent.

It's close enough.

I still claim Joss Stone, tbh.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Not everyone's cup of tea but folk band Wildwood Kin are originally from Torquay.
Very talented family as their brother plays for Exeter
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

WHG wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 08:54 Not everyone's cup of tea but folk band Wildwood Kin are originally from Torquay.
Very talented family as their brother plays for Exeter
They also featured on a Seth Lakeman album too, one of my favourite folk artists.

Serge Pizzornio from Kasabian is from Newton Abbot.

John Jansson, a composer and conductor who has worked with Stephen Sondheim and is working on the new arrangement of La Bohéme, the very famous Opera, is from Torquay.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

An interesting thread this one, which passed me by the first time round (probably because I wasn't a member of the forum at the time).

Just to correct some earlier postings, Martin Turner (bassist and vocalist, Wishbone Ash) was born and bred in Torquay and is still very active on the gig circuit with his own version of the band. The other Turner in the band - Ted - was NOT his brother and in fact hailed from Sheldon, Birmingham. The band used to practise at Martin Turner's home in Torquay in their early days.

The other version of Wishbone Ash is led by guitarist Andy Powell and are also still gigging actively, and will be appearing at the rock/blues festival here in Bude in November.

Really showing my age now, does anyone remember a band called Stool Pigeon who supported anybody and everybody at Torquay Town Hall back in the early 1970's? They were a local band with a strident female vocalist, and pretty good they were too. Also the KIm Turner Band who played regularly at the Shiphay Manor Club (Kim was Martin's brother!), again in the early 1970's. Great days!
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

Don't forget Keedie Babb - although not born locally she spent a lot of time in Torbay!
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Tired Old Gull wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:32 Don't forget Keedie Babb - although not born locally she spent a lot of time in Torbay!
Still lives here and was in a London show recently.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Jon from S-Club 7 is from Ipplepen!
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

torregull wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:38 Still lives here and was in a London show recently.
I believe she opened the Marldon Apple Pie Fair a few years ago - beat that for fame! :clap:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Not a band (or even a real person ;-) ) but the character Jemma Simmons from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is from Ashburton.