NEW MANAGER GARY JOHNSON

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Exactly experience and contacts and if he has a yes man like Taylor next to him in sure he can run the show without over doing it
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

There are a lot of YouTube videos of Gary Johnson, definitely plenty of charisma and appears to be an inspirational, yet down to earth type of manager. Remember, he took Yeovil into The Championship. Great appointment.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Budegull - yes I noticed the resemblance between GO and GJ - doppelgangers !
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I was rather hoping Lee Mansell would fancy it but hey we can’t always have what we want
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:20
So who next? Gary Johnson has to be a front runner. Close links to Bristol City (our new found feeder club) with his son now manager of the club his father formely managed. Has over 1,000 managerial games under his belt over a 30 year period. Knows the game inside out; know's how to beg, steal and borrow when money is tight and most importantly knows how to win promotion.
I called it and what a fantastic appointment. This is a win-win appointment, he will gain the absolute trust of the players and have the respect of everybody at the football club. He is a very good professional manager with very clear ideas, an attacking concept of play and a clear philosophy. If I had to pick one attribute that I think makes Johnson the 'special one', it’d be his obsession for the game which is what he has built his managerial success upon.

The departure of Ower's is a double edge sword to me, on the one side I wish him well for the future but on the other side he was a total misjudged appointment. This season, in a short space of time, he collectively lost his own players respect to the degree where they would happily fake their own death if they could by-pass his commands. There was a shared belief that his tactics were flawed, which was making the players look poor and in turn, lose matches.

So now onwards and upwards - at last we have something to cheer about!

P.S. Message to Clarke Osborne - well done! gulp!
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

Wasn't expecting that, actually quite happy with this appointment. Really hope he can help turn things around.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

As I said I can't stand Johnson but I would be quite happy if we appointed Steve Evans and I can't stand him either.

Like most other fans I just want a winning team so I am not really interested in what character the manager has. The main plus point for me is that he has southern based contacts which seems to be key as I don't see that appointing someone from further afield would work given the league we are in.

The positive comments are all well and good but he can't exactly take to the pitch instead of Brett Williams on Saturday but at least he has the power to bomb him out and from what I've seen that might not be a bad idea.

Williams first action on the pitch last Saturday was to fling himself to the ground trying to buy a free kick rather like a small child having a tantrum.

The Chippenham defenders must have been pissing themselves.

As Scott said some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Its all very well saying that we should play to Williams strengths - but what exactly are they? - falling over seems to be the main one at the moment.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 11:17 As I said I can't stand Johnson
There's a lesson in life - you definately cant please everyone.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:49 I think I'll have a beer to celebrate 😉
I think you may have placed this childish arrogant condescending comment in the wrong thread.
Elitism can do many things to one's minds.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 10:39 It's important to keep in mind that just because a proven, reputable manager has been installed and this time with ruthless efficiency by CO then it doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't anything underhand still at work. Therefore without being negative, i still believe in keeping the Merse mantra of 'keep your eyes on the ball'.

I have to admit however that the appointment and the swiftness of it has left me quite shocked. Shocked by the quality and calibre of the manager and shocked by the speed in which a positive decision was made. Also shocked because such an appointment does appear to fly right in the face of the many conspiracy theories. my own included which i accept. I'm still far from convinced yet though that Osborne is turning a new leaf.

The appointment of Johnson for a NLS is clearly a huge positive all round on the face of it and if the club had appointed him after Ling or even after Knil then i'm sure the club would be in the FL now but that's history. Finally the club have got someone in who fits the bill in all aspects and who most fans i'm sure will be over the moon with.

A final word of warning though about wise, vastly experienced league managers working with dodgy owners and for football clubs still on the slide due to a culture of failure, unscrupulous ownership and secrecy.

Martin Allen at Chesterfield is well under the cosh and Chesterfield fans AND Allen himself are quickly finding out at that no matter how suited a manager may be to a job, the cancer still spreading through a decaying club can not easily be put into remission.

So i am left scratching my head Kingsgull about this appointment as it is clearly a positive move by CO and it's difficult to envisage Johnson doing worse than Owers which means the team will improve and the club have a chance at promotion. Something which i was adamant that Osborne was trying to avoid. With this in mind it looks stupid to still believe that Osborne is hell bent on seeing the club hurtling through the leagues so i am confused a bit i'll be honest. Confused but not convinced.

Fascinating appointment.
Agreed, fingers crossed results start picking up, attendances increase and we can actually feel good about watching Torquay again. When was the last time we could say that??
Onwards and upwards.
COYY
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Superb appointment. CO has proved me wrong. Hungerford here I come.
Actually looking forward to a game now.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Asa Hall will know him well................................
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Best appointment since Roy McFarland in terms of experience. Buckle and rosenior done great but they were fairly noviceish before as manager
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Buckle and Rosenior done more than great Westie.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Great appointment, for me the best appointment we could have done given our current situation

I cannot see a guy of his experience coming to a club in this league without having discussed ambition, money and the future.

I am now wiling (but keeping my eye on the ball) to give CO a second chance. my boycott has ended for the time being.
TUST MEMBER