Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Dave

As you and I know - it was not just Gareth !!!!!!!!!!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Swatcat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 10:50 MF68. GO has been sacked and you want to put the boot in with implied obscenity ? Just charming . .
Have you ever been in that position M8 ?

So I repeat, good luck to him - he faces a hard time.

I'm sure that 99% of Fans are glad GO has gone, for the Club's sake, and 99% of the Fans wish him well for the future.

Stick that in yer pipe ! ATB
He faces a hard time all of his own doing. Employment usually works like that unless you are a banker or a politician. If you fail spectacularly at your job over the course of your employment tenure then you get the sack. The solution is not to be shit. If you aren't shit then you won't get the sack. If you ARE shit then you'll get the sack. The choice is there for the employee to be either be shit at his job or not. :O

He is unemployed and thoroughly deserves to be. I do hope he can find another job of course on a human level but there can be no sympathy. He was given an opportunity that quite a few people would have liked to have had and he buggered it up.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Yorkie - if only it was as simple as sh*t as you say.

You post, ''I do hope he can find another job of course on a human level'' - that looks like sympathy to me LOL.

As it happens, football management is different from other jobs - you or I might be not the tops in terms of our job, but we'd keep the job if we were doing our best. GO would have been deemed to have failed as long as we missed top spot !
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Swatcat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:37 Yorkie - if only it was as simple as sh*t as you say.

You post, ''I do hope he can find another job of course on a human level'' - that looks like sympathy to me LOL.

As it happens, football management is different from other jobs - you or I might be not the tops in terms of our job, but we'd keep the job if we were doing our best. GO would have been deemed to have failed as long as we missed top spot !
What i meant is that i don't begrudge him getting another job. He's failed and lost his job eventually and he's perfectly entitled to seek another job and i hope he gets one. The point i'm making is that i have no sympathy for someone losing their job because they've failed. It's easy to forget sometimes that at some clubs failure and relegation can mean the loss of jobs for peripheral staff such as admin and the like through no fault of their own and through the faults of inept managers and owners so why would anyone have sympathy for someone who has had plenty of time and support in a job and still failed?

Football management is not different from other jobs. You apply for it, convince the owner that you can do it and then you go and do it to an acceptable standard. Do that and you'll probably be ok, As you would in any job. Persistently not achieving a minimum standard means that you'll end up losing your job. In any walk of life. Other than banking and politics like i said. 8-]
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Moving on from the GO saga, I wonder if GJ will bring in an assistant. I also believe that his brother is chief scout at Cheltenham.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Glad it’s not Boris Johnson then!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Wolborough wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 13:08 Glad it’s not Boris Johnson then!
He'd still do a better job than Owers though. :lol:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Swatcat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:37 Yorkie - if only it was as simple as sh*t as you say.

the problem is we are looking at the record of GO which is dire.
as I said previously, managers are judged on results and he failed. he had more than enough time and money to succeed with the players he decided he wanted and still didn't get it right.
he should have been fired at the end of last season when he failed to keep us in the NL - which apparently he was employed to do.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Swatcat »

Thanks Guys.

All fair comment to a newbie on here.
Best to move on now.

Good Luck to TUFC and GJ
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Swatcat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 14:10 Thanks Guys.

All fair comment to a newbie on here.
Best to move on now.

Good Luck to TUFC and GJ
Yours too Swatcat.

Welcome to the forum anyway. :-D
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:53 What i meant is that i don't begrudge him getting another job. He's failed and lost his job eventually and he's perfectly entitled to seek another job and i hope he gets one. The point i'm making is that i have no sympathy for someone losing their job because they've failed. It's easy to forget sometimes that at some clubs failure and relegation can mean the loss of jobs for peripheral staff such as admin and the like through no fault of their own and through the faults of inept managers and owners so why would anyone have sympathy for someone who has had plenty of time and support in a job and still failed?

Football management is not different from other jobs. You apply for it, convince the owner that you can do it and then you go and do it to an acceptable standard. Do that and you'll probably be ok, As you would in any job. Persistently not achieving a minimum standard means that you'll end up losing your job. In any walk of life. Other than banking and politics like i said. 8-]
Football management is different to other jobs Andy, in the fact you get sacked and get paid millions for being sacked.
Lucy
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Swatcat »

Lucy - the thread is about Gary Owers departure - millions ?

Yorkie - thanks.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Now that the dust has settled on Gary Owers's departure I find myself feeling a bit sorry for him.
His limitations in managing have been cruelly exposed during his time at TUFC and he now faces football oblivion unless he changes his approach to the job and confronts his own shortcomings. He really needs a good mate, perhaps Gary Johnson, to advise him and help him but until he stops blaming everyone but himself for things going wrong he won't achieve anything.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

It would be interesting to hear Gary Ower's stance on his departure. Of course, if (unlikely, I know), the team still continues to fire blanks and plays poorly, then the root of the problem will be much deeper than the previous manager's failure.

A new broom sweeps clean, and Gary Johnson will not accept ineptitude

Patience is the way to go, (for everyone), Gary Johnson needs a good few games to find his feet (at this level) and mastermind a successful side.....COYG
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gary Owers was on a downer from the start when CO said it wouldn't matter if we got relegated. Everything seems much more positive and upbeat this time around. Gary Owers was full of excuses, not his team etc. GJ seems so much more positive, talking things up, looking up. For the first time in a long time I am feeling positive about the future of TUFC (even though I have one eye firmly on CO and 'George'!)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084