Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

dennisk wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:46 Mediterranean Gull
Wouldn't mind some NLS tiki-taka.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Hello forum again , ive not been on for a while.

They think it's all owers ,, it is now !!!

Had to happen , had long enough over summer and the of last season. It's been worse and no improvement.

Piss poor
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 14:03 I think Owers could be on a sticky wicket with holding his job, not just because he has totally screwed up Torquay Utd's promotion bid but more importantly he has totally screwed up Osborne's primary selling point to the Council of a grand stadium 'fit for purpose' for Torquay's return to the 'promised land'.
BBC Video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44981501 --- 'Key Position' at 3min 10sec
I callled it and Osborne has today confirmed it "now behind where we expected in our intended journey" and " need a change of manager if we are to get back on track"

Osborne's project milestones of moving the club from Plainmoor to a new stadium complex have been royally f..ked by Ower's managerial incompetence. Osborne's major investement with the caveat 'promotion' as the selling point to investors, bankers, councillors and other stakeholders have been severely compromised. The big shout for Owers is he has put a 'spanner in the works'; hit Osborne where it hurts 'his pockets' and possibly delayed the timetable of Osborne's grand plan.

So who next? Gary Johnson has to be a front runner. Close links to Bristol City (our new found feeder club) with his son now manager of the club his father formely managed. Has over 1,000 managerial games under his belt over a 30 year period. Knows the game inside out; know's how to beg, steal and borrow when money is tight and most importantly knows how to win promotion.

It is known he is keen return to management but whether he would consider a job in National League South is another matter, although as football runs through his veins he may see it as a great project to work on. However a major stumbling block as with our last recruitment search is 'proven managers' want full control of all football matters which leaves Harrop in limbo. Maybe this time round Harrop will find himself surplus to requirements.

As for Tully and Todd, or the return of a Hargreave and Nicho duo, I personally hope not!
Last edited by MellowYellow on 12 Sep 2018, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:17 Hello forum again , ive not been on for a while.

They think it's all owers ,, it is now !!!

Had to happen , had long enough over summer and the of last season. It's been worse and no improvement.

Piss poor
:goodpost:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

For me it's the same as the last appointment. No ex players , unless it's purely based on merit.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:20 So who next? Gary Johnson has to be a front runner. Close links to Bristol City (our new found feeder club) with his son now manager of the club his father formely managed. Has over 1,000 managerial games under his belt over a 30 year period. Knows the game inside out; know's how to beg, steal and borrow when money is tight and most importantly knows how to win promotion.
It's somewhat humiliating but we could do a loss worse than being Bristol City's feeder club for a couple seasons, they seem to be sending some decent players down our end.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

I would like Steve King, unfortunately Welling have him on 2 year contract!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:20 I callled it and Osborne has today confirmed it "now behind where we expected in our intended journey" and " need a change of manager if we are to get back on track"

Osborne's project milestones of moving the club from Plainmoor to a new stadium complex have being royally f..ked by Ower's managerial incompetence. Osborne's major investement with the caveat 'promotion' as the selling point to investors, bankers, councillors and other stakeholders have been severely compromised. The big shout for Owers is he has put a 'spanner in the works'; hit Osborne where it hurts 'his pockets' and possibly delayed the timetable of Osborne's grand plan.

So who next? Gary Johnson has to be a front runner. Close links to Bristol City (our new found feeder club) with his son now manager of the club his father formely managed. Has over 1,000 managerial games under his belt over a 30 year period. Knows the game inside out; know's how to beg, steal and borrow when money is tight and most importantly knows how to win promotion.

It is known he is keen return to management but whether he would consider a job in National League South is another matter, although as football runs through his veins he may see it as a great project to work on. However a major stumbling block as with our last recruitment search is 'proven managers' want full control of all football matters which leaves Harrop in limbo. Maybe this time round Harrop will find himself surplus to requirements.

As for Tully and Todd, or the return of a Hargreave and Nicho duo, I personally hope not!
If memory serves, wasn't it Osborne who decided on Owers.....????
Didn't Harrop want someone else?
So actually its Osborne's own fault for giving the manager job to someone who wasn't capable...
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:48 I don't understand why goody keeps carping on about Jay fecking Saunders - like he is some guru or something.

Sacked after 2 wins from 7 this year and managed a 17 game winless run last year. For **** sake get real - we want someone who can actuall win games not another loser. I would rather have Tully.
Jay Saunders was appointed as caretaker manager of Maidstone United after being team captain at the end of the 2010/11 season. In seven full seasons at Maidstone he oversaw three promotions from the Isthmian Div One South, Isthmian Premier Div and the NLS. In Maidstone's first season in the NLP they finished a credible 14th after having been pre season favourites for the drop.
On top of all that Maidstone managed five wins out of five against Torquay under his managership.
Of course he has only managed Maidstone and may not be able to repeat the feat elsewhere but his CV is damned sight more impressive than Ower's was before he came to us.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:25 If memory serves, wasn't it Osborne who decided on Owers.....????
So actually its Osborne's own fault for giving the manager job to someone who wasn't capable...
Hi super Nicky

Yes indeed didn't Harrop want that manager Graham westley....but got veto from osborne. Possible we just gone down a division and in worst state from osbornes decision and remmeber he isn't a football man particuley
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

So the question is who decides next manager. I'm assuming osborne has final say ....
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:28 Jay Saunders was appointed as caretaker manager of Maidstone United after being team captain at the end of the 2010/11 season. In seven full seasons at Maidstone he oversaw three promotions from the Isthmian Div One South, Isthmian Premier Div and the NLS. In Maidstone's first season in the NLP they finished a credible 14th after having been pre season favourites for the drop.
On top of all that Maidstone managed five wins out of five against Torquay under his managership.
Of course he has only managed Maidstone and may not be able to repeat the feat elsewhere but his CV is damned sight more impressive than Ower's was before he came to us.
Saunders is my 'realistic' favourite. Unless the Cowley Bros want to move to beautiful Torbay!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:20 However a major stumbling block as with our last recruitment search is 'proven managers' want full control of all football matters which leaves Harrop in limbo. Maybe this time round Harrop will find himself surplus to requirements.

Harrop isn't in charge of football matters anymore though is he? He's the general manager, so in charge of hospitality, stewards, sponsorship, the club shop, boots & laces etc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:25 If memory serves, wasn't it Osborne who decided on Owers.....????
To be factually correct Harrop did want someone else, it was Hedges who recommended Owers to Osborne. But Hedges links with Bristol City may give him a reprievel.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 19:34 So the question is who decides next manager. I'm assuming osborne has final say ....
George Edwards appears to be Osborne's man on the ground at the moment so I guess it will be him. Says on BTPIR that he was previously on the board at Chorley so I guess he has a little more football experience than Osbourne at least.