Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gulliball wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:01 Gary Owers - 13 September 2017 to 12 September 2018 - P47 W13 D12 L22 - 27.66% Win Rate

https://www.torquayfanstats.com/managers
Even at the lowest level we've ever played as a professional club his win ratio is just 33%. Shocking statistics but not surprising.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Road2League2 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:03 :-D It’s better than I thought!
Only Dave Webb and Stuart Morgan worse than him amongst managers with more than 75 games (should be noted that Owers never reached that stage), both of whom were manager in that dire mid 80s period, which is probably the closest to the state we've been in now. The history books will not be kind...
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I wonder whether the recent reallocation of responsibilities (Owers becoming head of all football matters etc) has something to do with this. Was Harrop stood down from the football side to make way for a new manager, and does the involvement of George Edwards mean Harrop's time is nearly up?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I would have thought Edwards is just there purely for his business accumen and can't see Harrop going anytime soon although I'm obviously not a fan and he's already put his foot in it by spouting off to players wives. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll be taking the team for Saturday. Let's hope they have their man lined up as opposed to last season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

GILBERT GULL is looking for a job COYY 😁
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

YorkshireGully wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:25 GILBERT GULL is looking for a job COYY 😁
YorkshireGully that’s a great shout
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2League2 wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:27 YorkshireGully that’s a great shout
:scarf:
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Gilbert Gull - NO!

The new manager will be one of the following:

Herring Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Little Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Kittiwake
Mediterranean Gull

Or a touch of the exotics, maybe the rare Ivory Gull or Ross's Gull, things certainly need to TERN but we don't want to be Skua(d).

No bird-brained suggestions please........
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't understand why goody keeps carping on about Jay fecking Saunders - like he is some guru or something.

Sacked after 2 wins from 7 this year and managed a 17 game winless run last year. For **** sake get real - we want someone who can actuall win games not another loser. I would rather have Tully.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

I like the ex Maidstone chap. Might work!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Appointment of Owers was a shock/surprise at the time so we should be prepared for another as nobody can second guess Clarke Osborne's next decision.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Absolutely delighted he has gone. Totally clueless and should have gone at the end of last season once he didn't keep us up. Have no specific guy in mind, the ex maidstone boss maybe ok. Gary Johnson maybe until the end of the season , whether he would want to come down here is highly unlikely.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

nickbrod wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:55 Appointment of Owers was a shock/surprise at the time so we should be prepared for another as nobody can second guess Clarke Osborne's next decision.
Second that!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

brucie wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:48 I don't understand why goody keeps carping on about Jay fecking Saunders - like he is some guru or something.

Sacked after 2 wins from 7 this year and managed a 17 game winless run last year. For **** sake get real - we want someone who can actuall win games not another loser. I would rather have Tully.
Brucie you’ve been carping on how good Owers was right up to the weekend, that worked out well! Football and this forums about opinions fella, get over yourself
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

Jay Saunders (Ex Maidstone) is a realistic choice. He was there for 7 years and won 3 promotions. Anyway, Torbay is much nicer than Kent!