Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Neal wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 13:28 You are always going to get stick as a football manager, ah unless you manage TUFC of course.
GO is the worst manager we have ever had, that's a fact.
Unless you have been on the moon, we are at the lowest tier of football this club has been AND we cannot still score.
GO was part of the relegation to this tier, he has a team that is full-time, and most if not all our opponents are part-time.
Some players were ignoring him on Monday, and some actually answering him back. So he has lost some if not all of the squad.
How f ing low or incompetent do you want this to get before the fans start to react, they are in fact the customers.
If you don't get results in football as a manager your job is on the line, unless its this setup it seems, quite extraordinary.
I don't think you can label TUFC fans as being inpatient, for Gods sake this demise has been going on for years.
I guess you must have been on the moon for the last couple of weeks :lol:

Owers has been loudly and aggressively abused at the last 3 games and had a drink thrown over him on Monday. Sounds to me like the fans reacting and giving him stick. :|
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

brucie wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 12:29 Did any of those managers get the kind of treatment that Owers is getting?

We were always going to get loan players in - I'm surprised we didn't get any at the start of the season. We've got a small squad so with a couple of injuries it was always likely that we are going to rely on the loan market. Do you know that the two loan signings are both going to be forwards?

Unless your hatred of the manager extends to wanting the team to lose then surely its counter productive. It hardly sends a message to the owner - he will be nowhere near the place.
I have no hatred of the man at all. In fact I feel sorry for him in a way but I don’t want him in charge of my team. That is not based on stupidity brucie but my assessment of his performance over loads of games I’ve watched with him at the helm.
I wonder how many games you’ve actually been to my friend as you don’t seem too concerned at all.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

That's because he's an Exeter fan now. :~D
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not saying your stupid - I am just saying if you keep looking at your I pad waiting for him to be sacked it isn't going to happen (unless we lose a few more games on the trot that is)
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

brucie wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 18:01 I'm not saying your stupid - I am just saying if you keep looking at your I pad waiting for him to be sacked it isn't going to happen (unless we lose a few more games on the trot that is)
Just interested , would you have sacked Owers by now or would you give him longer??
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He's not seen us play yet. As far as he's concerned Owers is a football genius.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Far to early to sack him I would say.

The defence looks solid, he has signed some good defenders and two decent keepers. Unlucky that we have picked up injuries to two key central defenders.

Other than that it hasn't been great and I agree there is a massive problem if he has lost the dressing room (if indeed that is the case and its not just the players that are frustrated how things are going)

Somehow we need to scoring though. It seems by all reports that the two Bristol City loanees were their best two players when we played them so hopefully they an add something.

Its a case of seeing how the next three games pan out.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Team worked hard v Gloucester. That wouldnt suggest to me he has lost the dressing room.

If they work out how to create chances and open teams up we'll start to win a few.
TUST #324
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Should have been sacked upon relegation. Having had almost a full season last, taking the club down to NLS was a disaster that the club will never recover from. Something that some fans don't seem to realize and are far too 'nice and fair' to condemn, although i'm not advocating fans have carte blance to hurl beverages in his mush on a regular basis to disprove this assumption.

Owers had his chance and he bodged it up royally, ending up being relegated weeks before the season actually ended and now weeks into a new season and automatic promotion looking a distant dream despite claiming he's already been planning before last season ended, some fans appear to believe that the addition of a goalscoring striker will solve all the problems.

Nobody respects Owers. Maybe a lot of the squad don't respect him? I know most of the fanbase don't respect him and Osborne doesn't respect him. Opting to keep paying him to continue taking the flak and to continue the systematic dismantling job of TUFC. Whether Owers intentionally is doing this or not i don't know but he is almightily shite at everything football related pretty much and that simply will continue if he had Messi and Ronaldo.

He's got the club relegated and now getting automatic promotion in the league below which IMO was the ONLY requirement as evidence of success, is slim.

Let's see how the next three games pan out?

Perhaps if a new manager had come in towards the end of last season and had three extra games then the club may still be in the NL.

That's the problem with Torquay. Always waiting and hoping that something will happen and something good is just around the corner but it never does and it never is. Instead it needs to start making people accountable for when they continually perform well below their job description which of course it never did until it was always too late and it still doesn't.

Owers needs to leave this football club RIGHT NOW!

All that aside, the tragedy is that unless Osborne leaves it wouldn't matter if he brought in Guardiola. The culture at the club (no Boy George puns please) is one of a continual lowering of status from everything to the playing staff to the management to the club's league position and hierarchy amongst South West football clubs. All under the guise of Osborne is investing and having these grand plans for the future. The irony being the club don't have one with these charlatans both running and managing the club.

Owers certainly is The Only One I Know according to Osborne and will continue to be so or i'll have a sex change and become a bloke! Apologies for the Charlatans pun there. ;-)
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 31 Aug 2018, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree with numpte, I don't think Owers has lost the dressing room either. Think the problem lies elsewhere, think Owers at this moment doesn't know what his best 11 or tactical set up is, Owers has shown this season he knows how to set up a side not concede goals, but can't seem to find that balance between attack and defence to create enough chance at the other end either.

Seen every home match, and went on Monday, it's not down to misfiring strikers, we're not creating hardly any chances. Last Saturday enough possession barely tested the Hampton keeper and got picked off, Monday at Gloucester dominated the possession didn't test their keeper who was hardly a MM over 5ft 9 in (not joking) not at any corner, cross, not one shot on target, we could have played for month on Monday and not scored, yet they managed to force Bass into two quality saves, from about 30 % possession.

Another problem is, everything our team does, it's all at snails pace, they want to much time on the ball, when it does it's time and time again, a negative pass, largely because we're static, or no one's made a run.

Just hoping these two new players give the team a lift and add that missing spark, and touch of quality, otherwise a change of manager will have to made.
Formerly known as forevertufc
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Hes gotta go, can we really leave it another 3 games??? By that time we could be 12-15 points off promotion places. I dont want to start the Nicho debate again, but he got 4 games, some would say against alot harder oppostion to what weve played so far this season and was removed from post by GH and CO.

Jay Saunders has just left Maindstone, hes the perfect candidate for torquay, id rather Owers stopped wasting the player budget on players from the only club he has contacts with, and allow a young promising manager to take over with fresh ideas, new momentum and hopefully a more attacking Philosophy .
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:12 Should have been sacked upon relegation. Having had almost a full season last, taking the club down to NLS was a disaster that the club will never recover from. Something that some fans don't seem to realize and are far too 'nice and fair' to condemn, although i'm not advocating fans have carte blance to hurl beverages in his mush on a regular basis to disprove this assumption.

Owers had his chance and he bodged it up royally, ending up being relegated weeks before the season actually ended and now weeks into a new season and automatic promotion looking a distant dream despite claiming he's already been planning before last season ended, some fans appear to believe that the addition of a goalscoring striker will solve all the problems.

Nobody respects Owers. Maybe a lot of the squad don't respect him? I know most of the fanbase don't respect him and Osborne doesn't respect him. Opting to keep paying him to continue taking the flak and to continue the systematic dismantling job of TUFC. Whether Owers intentionally is doing this or not i don't know but he is almightily shite at everything football related pretty much and that simply will continue if he had Messi and Ronaldo.

He's got the club relegated and now getting automatic promotion in the league below which IMO was the ONLY requirement as evidence of success, is slim.

Let's see how the next three games pan out?

Perhaps if a new manager had come in towards the end of last season and had three extra games then the club may still be in the NL.

That's the problem with Torquay. Always waiting and hoping that something will happen and something good is just around the corner but it never does and it never is. Instead it needs to start making people accountable for when they continually perform well below their job description which of course it never did until it was always too late and it still doesn't.

Owers needs to leave this football club RIGHT NOW!

All that aside, the tragedy is that unless Osborne leaves it wouldn't matter if he brought in Guardiola. The culture at the club (no Boy George puns please) is one of a continual lowering of status from everything to the playing staff to the management to the club's league position and hierarchy amongst South West football clubs. All under the guise of Osborne is investing and having these grand plans for the future. The irony being the club don't have one with these charlatans both running and managing the club.

Owers certainly is The Only One I Know according to Osborne and will continue to be so or i'll have a sex change and become a bloke! Apologies for the Charlatans pun there. ;-)
.... says our resident York City fan.

We are all well aware of the problems at our club without you reminding us 5 times a day.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 10:52 Far to early to sack him I would say.

The defence looks solid, he has signed some good defenders and two decent keepers. Unlucky that we have picked up injuries to two key central defenders.

Other than that it hasn't been great and I agree there is a massive problem if he has lost the dressing room (if indeed that is the case and its not just the players that are frustrated how things are going)

Somehow we need to scoring though. It seems by all reports that the two Bristol City loanees were their best two players when we played them so hopefully they an add something.

Its a case of seeing how the next three games pan out.
Pretty much as I see it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

numpte wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:09 Team worked hard v Gloucester. That wouldnt suggest to me he has lost the dressing room.
'Losing the dressing room' is a controversial tag. Is it a myth? Every player has pride in their game, so 'losing the dressing room' is not necessarily about work rate. Many will say, it is about when a manager has lost respect of the players; when players no longer believe in what their manager is saying, or the direction they are going in.

Whatever the viewpoint, history shows us that the one general common denominator that can be attached to a manager 'losing the dressing room' is 'poor results'

To balance this debate one could look at the players and question whether the players are looking to the manager as the 'scape goat' rather than looking at themselves. When things are not going right, there is always an undercurrent amongst players. Players give their opinions as to what the manager is doing wrong (which is no different than the real workplace). Maybe they should try a bit harder to run through the brick walls for their manager.

One thing is for sure, even the special ones cannot guarantee the love of their players forever – just ask Jose Mourinho.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 31 Aug 2018, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Guildford Gull wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 12:18 .... says our resident York City fan.

We are all well aware of the problems at our club without you reminding us 5 times a day.
Once today. Get your facts right loser. :scarf: