Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Can't see it being Gowling
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

It is sad to see TUFC supporters condoning the behaviour in your match yesterday. It appears the club is going downhill both on the field, off the field and also from a supporters moral point of view. Not the TUFC I remember of a few years back. And not really the sort of club one wishes to try and help either.

Hopefully criminal charges can be brought against those who commit assault on club officials, for that is what it is. Last season over here, a fan at a particular match threw a cup of water over a coach at half time as he was leaving the field. He was banned from all football, charged with assault and jailed for 4 months. Perhaps such penalties may force some TUFC supporters to think twice before taking their frustration out on a professional who is trying to do his job.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yawn. Nobody is condoning it at all.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

lambadaboss wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 21:51 It is sad to see TUFC supporters condoning the behaviour in your match yesterday. It appears the club is going downhill both on the field, off the field and also from a supporters moral point of view. Not the TUFC I remember of a few years back. And not really the sort of club one wishes to try and help either.

Hopefully criminal charges can be brought against those who commit assault on club officials, for that is what it is. Last season over here, a fan at a particular match threw a cup of water over a coach at half time as he was leaving the field. He was banned from all football, charged with assault and jailed for 4 months. Perhaps such penalties may force some TUFC supporters to think twice before taking their frustration out on a professional who is trying to do his job.
Whose condoning it?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lambadaboss wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 21:51 It is sad to see TUFC supporters condoning the behaviour in your match yesterday.
Go back through the thread, this time read what people have actually said, not what you think they've said, then point out one person who condoned, or in any way tried to defend these actions.

No ones defending it, or condoning these actions, some of us have just tried to bring about an accurate report of what did happen, have a look at the photo of Owers taken just after the incident, does he look like someone who's just had re-hot liquid thrown in his face ? No, because that's not what happened, one report even suggests Owers was attacked, nope that didn't happen either.

Not trying to down play or defend this at all, these actions crossed the line and were way out of order, the person will have a price to pay, and rightly so, but let's not fall for fake news here.
Last edited by Dave on 28 Aug 2018, 22:10, edited 5 times in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Read the posts from yesterday and you will see. One person states:'' To the person who threw beer or coffee over Ower I say Well Done''
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lambadaboss wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 22:07 Read the posts from yesterday and you will see. One person states:'' To the person who threw beer or coffee over Ower I say Well Done''

So one individual posts that, so decide to post this;

[glow=red]It is sad to see TUFC supporters condoning the behaviour in your match yesterday. It appears the club is going downhill both on the field, off the field and also from a supporters moral point of view. Not the TUFC I remember of a few years back. And not really the sort of club one wishes to try and help either.

[/glow]

That's twice you use the word supporters, question supporters from a moral point of view, and suggest the clubs going downhill off the field, because of one persons post.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

I do believe the club is going downhill both on and off the field. It has been the case for the past few years and it is going even further down now.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lambadaboss wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 22:07 Read the posts from yesterday and you will see. One person states:'' To the person who threw beer or coffee over Ower I say Well Done''
ONE poster out of many has chosen to make an asinine comment. You will see that all other posters have condemned what happened. With all due respect, you are in Spain and not seeing first hand what is happening at Plainmoor. There are strong rumours that players do not like Gary Owers and on the evidence of the dejected group they look during matches, I suspect the rumours are true. Certainly thay are not emjoying their football.

Gary Owers may be 'trying to do his job' as you posted on another thread. Yes - but sadly he is failing miserably. Not only has he 'lost' the dressing room, he has 'lost' the support of the fans. His position is untenable. You must know from your experience that things get heated and toxic when it becomes obvious that things are not right on the pitch.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Southampton Gull: Reading some of the posts from yesterday I read one from someone called Burnham something or other saying ''well done to whoever threw the liquid over GO''. To me this is condoning the action. Other posts castigate both the person who allegedly threw the liquid and this other person for congratulating the thrower.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lambadaboss wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 22:21 I do believe the club is going downhill both on and off the field. It has been the case for the past few years and it is going even further down now.

That's fine; you're entitled to an opinion, and some ways I don't disagree with you. But please don't join in with over sensationalizing yesterday’s events, there were in the region of about 400 TUFC fans there less than 20 were involved in causing trouble that's about 5% of all TUFC fans at the game. And please don't use one person’s post to tell us how are supporters our condoning the throwing of a drink at the manager.

The overwhelming vast majority of TUFC fans are peaceful, well behaved and honest football fans, today, just as we’ve always been.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

tomogull, point taken and I respect your insight. However, I perhaps have a better idea of what is going on at TUFC than you may think, despite my being in Spain. Regarding GO, I have stated that I do not think he is the right man to get TUFC out of their current predicament, but the problems lie not solely with him but with the hierarchy of the club. In the last 15 months I have offered 2 strikers to TUFC for zero £, exactly the same situation as was the case when I dealt with Don O'Riordan back in the mid 1990s. I never even received the courtesy of a reply!

Believe me I am not saying that GO should remain blameless but many times the person holding the position of Manager or Head Coach at a professional club simply has his hands tied with regard to wanting to sign or play players that he prefers. Yes, GO has lost the dressing room clearly and the situation for him has become untenable. But again, don't shoot the messenger. Look at those above him for the real blame.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Well said.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

forevertufc I don't need you to tell me what I can do or cannot do. If you read my posts you will see that I am in no way oversensationalizing anything. I do not have time to get involved in petty things.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

It’s all very well and good saying you have offered Torquay United two strikers in the last 15 months, doesn’t mean to say they were any good. I could ring the club and let them know if a couple of players I know, doesn’t mean to say I’m Jorge Mendes...