Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gulliball wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 21:32 I'm just about to update the Managers page on torquayfanstats - Gary Owers now has a 26.67% win rate, which is exactly level with Dave Webb amongst the long-term Torquay managers. They're joint-one off the bottom, with only Stuart Morgan's 20.83% being worse. 1984-87 was before my time, but that must have been equally depressing, albeit as a league club.
Well, Gulliball - there are facts and there are statistics. When Stuart Morgan took over in 1986, it was following the two worst possible seasons, equal with where we now find ourselves, under Webb. When Morgan became manager, I think there were only four or five players at the club. He brought in players like Paul Dobson and loanee Alan McLoughlin and with a little bit of help from Bryn the police dog, we survived against all odds. I don't remember that season being depressing. I hope other old farts like Portugal and Stefano - no offence, lads!! ;-) - will remember Stuart Morgan's season as I do. There were many supporters who were upset when Stuart was dismissed at the end of that season, but then along came Cyril Knowles and Stuart Morgan was soon forgotten. But in my book, he was not a bad manager.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 22:47 Its not untenable if the owners are not going to sack him though is it.

If the fans are abusing him and throwing liquid at him that's hardly his fault - it might be his fault that we are not winning but that's still no excuse for the sort of behaviour which took place today.
I fully agree, Brucie. Whatever our views on Gary Owers, there is no excuse for insulting behaviour like that. I hope the idiot was caught and that he is made to apologise in person to Owers ...... and made to watch every home game whilst Owers is manager as a punishment.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

The throwing of coffee into the face of Gary Owers is totally unacceptable behaviour and hopefully the culprit will be apprehended and suitably punished. We British are better than that and we don't kick a man when he is down. Owers is trying incredibly hard to turn things around and he really ought to be given a few more games and our full support before a decision to terminate his contract is considered.

The rot set in when Martin Ling was dismissed without justification and a succession of managers who arguably were not of the required standard were appointed.

We are where we are, notwithstanding the fact that Osbourne, Harrap et al may have their own agenda which may not conform to that of the majority of the fan base. However, the Council, fortunately, still own Plainmoor and that is absolutely crucial.

One possible solution to the current crisis is, if things don't improve, to form a phoenix club along similar lines to Hereford FC, the successor to Hereford United. We could then try to raise sufficient funds to renegotiate the terms of the current lease and sign a new squad of players as necessary.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Stuart Morgan wasn't dismissed, he resigned and given the speed with which he joined Weymouth was probably already thinking of leaving Torquay before the end of the season. I agree that many fans did feel disappointed that he left as they seem to with any manager who escapes relegation by the skin of his teeth.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 23:15 Well, Gulliball - there are facts and there are statistics. When Stuart Morgan took over in 1986, it was following the two worst possible seasons, equal with where we now find ourselves, under Webb. When Morgan became manager, I think there were only four or five players at the club. He brought in players like Paul Dobson and loanee Alan McLoughlin and with a little bit of help from Bryn the police dog, we survived against all odds. I don't remember that season being depressing. I hope other old farts like Portugal and Stefano - no offence, lads!! ;-) - will remember Stuart Morgan's season as I do. There were many supporters who were upset when Stuart was dismissed at the end of that season, but then along came Cyril Knowles and Stuart Morgan was soon forgotten. But in my book, he was not a bad manager.
Fair points tomogull, but I'm with Gulliball here.
I find Coffeegate appalling. No person - never mind a football manager- should have to tolerate that - and if he did lose his rag, who could blame him?
Today, I don't give a sh*t about the 1986 season, too many on here live in the past - I'm bothered about the 2018/19 one.
There is no doubt that Owers was a bad appointment. He cant motivate the players (or fans) the players obviously don't like him and he has the charisma of a wet fish.
His dire record speaks for itself - and he cant now hide behind the "They're not my players" bullsh*t
He should be gone - like other failing managers have already this season - but he wont get fired by Osborne.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 11:23 Fair points tomogull, but I'm with Gulliball here.
I find Coffeegate appalling. No person - never mind a football manager- should have to tolerate that - and if he did lose his rag, who could blame him?
Today, I don't give a sh*t about the 1986 season, too many on here live in the past - I'm bothered about the 2018/19 one.
There is no doubt that Owers was a bad appointment. He cant motivate the players (or fans) the players obviously don't like him and he has the charisma of a wet fish.
His dire record speaks for itself - and he cant now hide behind the "They're not my players" bullsh*t
He should be gone - like other failing managers have already this season - but he wont get fired by Osborne.
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
Scoutman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Scoutman »

Sadly it will probably be Torquay United that will suffer due to the behaviour of some people. Were they actually Gulls fans? If the FA charge the club due to the antics of these people they will have a number of options open to them which could add another burden to the club. I would like to see the Council agree that for the next 50 years Plainmoor can only be used as a sporting venue. Unless Owers suddenly becomes successful and takes us to the Championship Plainmoor is a adequate sized ground. Then if GI want to build a new venue they do so with there own money.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I have it from a very reliable source it was a mouthful of cold tea and not a hot cup of coffee.

The individual concerned has owned up and is prepared to face the music. If only the morons with the pyrotechnics were as concerned about the club enough to own up.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

There is no justification for the behaviour witnessed on Monday. However - I too have heard (probably from the same person as SG) that this 'cup of hot coffee' was actually a small amount of cold tea. It does not make it alright but it is NOT the sensational story a face full of scolding coffee brings. The flares situation is just embarrassing and in honesty I am not sure this is in protest of the current situation and more to do with cheap cider and kids trying to act 'ARD'.

As an outcome of these events a distraction and deviation of focus has been achieved which has somewhat alleviated the pressure on the current football manager, general manager and owners of TUFC.

If you want to try to force change then do it in the right way and don't give these guys victim cards to play and please don't tarnish the reputation of the 'our' club from other fans points of view. We will need the support of the football community when the time comes.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 15:34 I have it from a very reliable source it was a mouthful of cold tea and not a hot cup of coffee.

The individual concerned has owned up and is prepared to face the music. If only the morons with the pyrotechnics were as concerned about the club enough to own up.
I'm pretty sure it was thrown from a cup but could be wrong. Must have a big mouth because there was quite alot of liquid.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

It was just a mouthful but thrown from the cup. I'm in no way excusing it just stating facts and as Rich says, it's been exaggerated for shock reasons. I reckon the club will ban the person concerned and it also wouldn't surprise me if the police looked into it .
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Did the inside information reveal whether it was PG tips or Kenco ? I was stood with the person who did this for a part of the second half, I, for the life don't why he did it, he wasn't any part of the group stood behind the goal causing trouble, knowing him as I do, in the cold light of day I don't think he'll know why he did it.

Not on twitter but apparently he's owned up on there.

Not up to any of us to reveal who it is, he does have an active account on here, and it's up to him, to come on and explain himself, if he chooses to. His actions crossed the line he will know that, the person will now face the consequences of his actions and rightly so.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yep I contacted him earlier and just waiting to see how he handles his new found infamy.
Dave

SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 15:34 I have it from a very reliable source it was a mouthful of cold tea and not a hot cup of coffee.

Why would Owers lie on the record and say it was 'red-hot'? I'm hardly a fan of his tenure at the club, despite originally supporting him, but it doesn't make sense for him to lie about such a thing.

As for the pyrotechnics, surely someone knows them, just anonymously report them. It's probably the shame shitheads that threw flares onto the pitch at Plainmoor a couple years ago and seem to think they're some kind of crew (...would love to see them go to Millwall or Cardiff).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I guess the simple answer is you'd have to ask him.
Dave