Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
andrew candy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andrew candy »

Hi Swatcat, I don't think its me you know. I have no association with Guy for Toys although occasionally I am accused of throwing them out of my pram!
Busterjames
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Busterjames »

Yorkieandy wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 16:14 To be fair to Busterjames i agree with his whole post above more or less and i think given his explanation some people are maybe being a bit harsh with their criticism. There are a few people still active within the club who have unfairly been cast as guilty by association but who do and have done lots of good for the club and the fans and who genuinely do care. I suspect Andrew falls into this category but for those who don't know every individual who is associated with the club and who has been associated with the club these past 6 or 7 years (most of them absolute cretins by the way IMO) then it's easy to generalize and chuck everyone into the same soiled bucket. Ironically as i have just done.

Obviously in this case with Mr Candy it is wholly unwarranted but i can see why Busterjames has done so. Sheer frustration.

The fans of this club have been shit upon from great heights from an alarmingly high number of people involved with TUFC over the past few years and it just keeps on shitting it down. The reason being that a significant majority of people at the club in the past have been bellends and a significant majority of people there now are bellends. Andrew Candy and perhaps a select few more excepted from being bellends. I'm sure he'll be relieved to read that!

If everyone at the club had integrity and the decency to front up and communicate like Andrew Candy then the club would be in a far, far healthier place than it is right now.

Maybe someone can produce a TUFC lanyard that says "ANDREW CANDY - ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS AT TUFC"? Or probably as it is now - "ANDREW CANDY - THE GOOD GUY AT TUFC". :lol:
Thank you Yorkieandy, appreciate you understanding my initial thoughts and feelings and not looking to try and guess my age or criticise me if my opinion doesn’t match yours?!

I hate how this Club is plummeting, watching Fylde v Harrogate on TV wondering when these became better Teams and Clubs than my beloved TUFC.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Where can i buy the

"Torquay - York - Torquay - who to support next lanyard?"
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

No matter how frustrated we are with GO to produce a winning team, it was an absolute outrage that some idiot threw hot coffee at him - no-one deserves that kind of treatment. All it does is turn our club into more of a joke than it already is, no doubt with all the attendant headlines. Can anyone remember a physical attack on a previous Torquay United manager? I certainly can't, although there were many who would have liked to stick one on Dave Webb at the time. It feels to me like our beloved club is in terminal decline - where is that White Knight when we need him/her?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 18:53 Where can i buy the

"Torquay - York - Torquay - who to support next lanyard?"
:lol: what a dildo
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

:red: :@ When Nicholson was sacked it was bleated that we are in a “results business”

Here’s the results:
Another 300k (ish) over spent on fattening up the management and god know what else!
1 relation.
12 wins from 45 games.
3 goals in 8 games.
Nearly 400 minutes without scoring in a piss poor league with piss poor defenders.

Resulting in 95% poll (500 votes ) wanting Owers out.
Fans unrest with embarrassing/shameless actions.

So what do you do?
That’s right, give the bloke a promotion!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I just don't see what he brings to the club. I used to defend Kevin Nicholson on here quite a lot, against what I thought was unfair criticism given the situation the club was in at the time. We were losing a lot of games, as was quite likely given the circumstances of the club, but we ultimately pulled off the great escape when it was needed, and he was building up the club off the pitch. For a football club losing games, his personality and open style with supporters was the glue that held a lot of things together.

But two years of losing games had its toll, and a change was needed. I could get behind that if we were going to get see an improvement on the pitch, which is the bottom line for any manager. But what have we got?

I'm just about to update the Managers page on torquayfanstats - Gary Owers now has a 26.67% win rate, which is exactly level with Dave Webb amongst the long-term Torquay managers. They're joint-one off the bottom, with only Stuart Morgan's 20.83% being worse. 1984-87 was before my time, but that must have been equally depressing, albeit as a league club.

On the pitch we were relegated from the National League with a whimper. We've started the next season with 3 goals in 7 games in a league where we're the only full-time side in the division. We're at a lower level, but still losing even more games than before, still have injuries to players, still look 'unfit' in the eyes of supporters, still look 'unprofessional'... etc Saturday afternoons are even less fun than they were before, and the last five years has hardly been a blast.

Off the pitch, we've lost the club presence at community events, and lost the connection between the club and the fans. We have an absent owner & a general manager who stays in the shadows - the manager was the only thing the fans had to see. He was on Facebook after every game and accepted that he was the public face of the club - win, lose or draw. I find it hard enough to post a MOTM thread on here when you know quite often they descend into arguments... so to post a message after every game when you know you're going to get a load of stick, and your family and friends can see it, was brave. If nothing else it was an outlet. The owner isn't at games, and doesn't care what happens on the pitch. Owers is now the face of the club, but is down the tunnel after a game before anyone else. In the last week there was a verbal volley at him at Slough, then a toxic atmosphere on Saturday, and today a series of very sad events. It's escalating week on week, and the only end I can see is to win games. His honeymoon period is over, and the 'judge me with my own players' period is coming to an end too. If he was fired tomorrow, no-one would be upset.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Gulliball wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 21:32 I just don't see what he brings to the club. I used to defend Kevin Nicholson on here quite a lot, against what I thought was unfair criticism given the situation the club was in at the time. We were losing a lot of games, as was quite likely given the circumstances of the club, but we ultimately pulled off the great escape when it was needed, and he was building up the club off the pitch. For a football club losing games, his personality and open style with supporters was the glue that held a lot of things together..
:goodpost:
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Earlier on today, I wouldn't have given Owers tuppence. But now, I stand by him. It's a disgrace that someone felt they could physically abuse our manager. Gary Owers wants to win games and I stand with him.
Don't let these hooligans put you off your aim which is to do well for the club Gary, and players, get behind the manager, stick together and when you start winning then these idiots will look as stupid as they no doubt are.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

toastkid wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 21:43 Earlier on today, I wouldn't have given Owers tuppence. But now, I stand by him. It's a disgrace that someone felt they could physically abuse our manager. Gary Owers wants to win games and I stand with him.
Don't let these hooligans put you off your aim which is to do well for the club Gary, and players, get behind the manager, stick together and when you start winning then these idiots will look as stupid as they no doubt are.
Welcome to the forum Clarke Osborne.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Since when is going on facebook a plus point to being a manager. That's just ridiculous.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

:lol:
CraigUnder wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 22:07 Welcome to the forum Clarke Osborne.
:lol:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Yorkieandy wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 19:11 :lol: what a dildo
:) :lol:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Because that is where 90%+ of our fanbase are. There was a connection to the club, fans donated to the players fund and felt like it was making a difference. Even when we lost games it was night and day to where we are now.

Today the owner is absent and we're simply building up money owed to him, there is no communication from the General Manager and no connection between the fans and the club. If you read the accounts of fans stood behind the dugout today, Owers is swearing at the players mid-game and calling them "stupid idiots", fans are shouting and swearing at him, and now throwing things at him. It's a toxic atmosphere with no place to vent and no-one else at the club is making themselves available to take any share of the fans' frustrations.

If you read my post in full, I said that winning on a Saturday is the bottom line for any manager. But Owers is worse than any manager in our history in that regard, bar Stuart Morgan. Add that in to the other factors and I think his position is getting pretty untenable pretty quickly.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not untenable if the owners are not going to sack him though is it.

If the fans are abusing him and throwing liquid at him that's hardly his fault - it might be his fault that we are not winning but that's still no excuse for the sort of behaviour which took place today.