Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Gerb46 have you censored me ? COYY.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

YorkshireGully wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 21:26 Gerb46 have you censored me ? COYY.
No YG
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

A team without respect for the manager quickly becomes a team of collective individuals, some playing at their capacity, others playing below their abilities. A good manager instills good habits, good discipline, interesting training sessions and develops a good team spirit. Without that a team is going nowhere but in one direction. I have managed players who played at a very high level but who felt they were better people than the rest of the team. This could have caused a breakdown in team spirit so as a manager you have to address that as a matter of urgency. Eleven average players giving 100% for me, as their manager, is far more beneficial to the club than 2 or 3 prima donnas and eight others. Team spirit is the be all and end all for a club whether they are fighting for survival or winning titles. Tactical awareness is another hugely important aspect that a manager must have, ie being able to change patterns of play during a game based on how a team is performing against you. Being able to see when something is not working and actually changing it during the game rather than point it out after the game when the damage has been done.

I was in Devon about a year ago watching Torquay play Chester at Plainmoor. Chester had a very mediocre side, but they had 3 towering centre backs, all in their 30's, all experienced. Slow on the ground but very good in the air. During the match, Kevin Nicholson watched as his goalkeeper, clearly under instructions, hit long high balls one after another into the Chester penalty area. The three centre backs won every one, probably 20 balls or more. It was obvious that this was a total waste of possession from the Torquay goalkeeper and Nicholson should have changed that immediately. Instead he stood in front of the dugout and watched this absurd scenario repeat itself over and over. Twice in the latter part of the second half the ball was played along the ground through the Chester defence and Torquay almost, and should have, scored. Far too little, too late. Chester scored and won the match 0 - 1. After the game Kevin Nicholson said the side had made basic tactical errors......Excuse me but this is the job of the manager.

Kevin Nicholson had the dressing room, he had good team spirit. He lacked tactical awareness and this contributed to Torquay dropping an enormous amount of points. Gary Owers, in my opinion, lacks tactical awareness, cannot get the best out of his players and appears to have a side with no team spirit. Add to all this the blatant ineptitude of those running the club and it is abundantly clear why TUFC are in this position. The owner of the club can produce glitzy designs of pie in the sky stadiums and concert venues for the club in the future, but I can see there not being a football club in the near future to be part of all this wonderful razzamatazz.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

lambadaboss wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 21:31 A team without respect for the manager quickly becomes a team of collective individuals, some playing at their capacity, others playing below their abilities. A good manager instills good habits, good discipline, interesting training sessions and develops a good team spirit. Without that a team is going nowhere but in one direction. I have managed players who played at a very high level but who felt they were better people than the rest of the team. This could have caused a breakdown in team spirit so as a manager you have to address that as a matter of urgency. Eleven average players giving 100% for me, as their manager, is far more beneficial to the club than 2 or 3 prima donnas and eight others. Team spirit is the be all and end all for a club whether they are fighting for survival or winning titles. Tactical awareness is another hugely important aspect that a manager must have, ie being able to change patterns of play during a game based on how a team is performing against you. Being able to see when something is not working and actually changing it during the game rather than point it out after the game when the damage has been done.

I was in Devon about a year ago watching Torquay play Chester at Plainmoor. Chester had a very mediocre side, but they had 3 towering centre backs, all in their 30's, all experienced. Slow on the ground but very good in the air. During the match, Kevin Nicholson watched as his goalkeeper, clearly under instructions, hit long high balls one after another into the Chester penalty area. The three centre backs won every one, probably 20 balls or more. It was obvious that this was a total waste of possession from the Torquay goalkeeper and Nicholson should have changed that immediately. Instead he stood in front of the dugout and watched this absurd scenario repeat itself over and over. Twice in the latter part of the second half the ball was played along the ground through the Chester defence and Torquay almost, and should have, scored. Far too little, too late. Chester scored and won the match 0 - 1. After the game Kevin Nicholson said the side had made basic tactical errors......Excuse me but this is the job of the manager.

Kevin Nicholson had the dressing room, he had good team spirit. He lacked tactical awareness and this contributed to Torquay dropping an enormous amount of points. Gary Owers, in my opinion, lacks tactical awareness, cannot get the best out of his players and appears to have a side with no team spirit. Add to all this the blatant ineptitude of those running the club and it is abundantly clear why TUFC are in this position. The owner of the club can produce glitzy designs of pie in the sky stadiums and concert venues for the club in the future, but I can see there not being a football club in the near future to be part of all this wonderful razzamatazz.
Are you revealing yourself as Mr Millard?
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by YorkshireGully »

Ok thanks . I will try and find out who's done it I love this site it's my first night and I've been watching Torquay on and of for 40 years. COYY.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

YorkshireGully wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 21:35 Ok thanks . I will try and find out who's done it I love this site it's my first night and I've been watching Torquay on and of for 40 years. COYY.
Unfortunately your watching the worst of the last 40 yrs at present
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

Yeah YorkshireGully seen your comment was deleted. People don’t like the truth COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Bristol_Gull

I am Kevin Millard, yes.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

YorkshireGully wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 21:26 Gerb46 have you censored me ? COYY.
Nobody has censored you. You posted the same thing twice so the second post was deleted.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by YorkshireGully »

Cheers Dave first night on loving it trying to get down tomorrow night the only way is up hopefully COYY
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Welcome to the forum you guys.

I would ask that we moderate our language (I'm guilty too so not blaming anyone) as we've had a complaint resulting in that member asking to have his account deleted.

We try to allow most things but the current situation and performances are obviously causing a lot of anger amongst fans and members of this forum.
Dave

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:14 Welcome to the forum you guys.

I would ask that we moderate our language (I'm guilty too so not blaming anyone) as we've had a complaint resulting in that member asking to have his account deleted.

We try to allow most things but the current situation and performances are obviously causing a lot of anger amongst fans and members of this forum.
As much as I hardly ever agreed with him his views were always interesting but Merse must be busy on his own site.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Isn't this part of the problem Dave? The fact that people are upset by a bit of bad language whilst the club is going to the wall should be enough to anger everybody but to be offended by it strikes me as being a little precious.

I despair at the fact that there are threads inviting people to make lawful protests at 1pm............who the hell is at the ground at 1pm to take any notice? Even if the protests took place, how many people are we talking about? Twenty?

Charlton fans threw crisp packets onto the pitch on Saturday. Result = lots of media attention.
Coventry fans boycotted games when they were moved to Northampton. Result = lots of media attention
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

It wasn't Merse. He's made of sterner stuff than that and will be back when he feels the urge. I've never used his forum, not even seen one post unless quoted here but I would imagine the uproar is fairly similar to on here at present. We're a public site whereas his is private so we do need to moderate a little more truth be told. Hard to get the balance right but I like to think we get it right more often than wrong.
Dave

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by greb46 »

Yes this site is well run ,just missing his abrasive style!