Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Nail on head Nightrider.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yes I have to say that's how I feel as well. Unfortunately there is nothing in the guys track record to suggest anything else was likely to occur. We have been defending well but nothing in the rest of the team has been moving at all.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Personally thought last season's performances under Owers showed enough evidence that he won't bring success in whatever form to TUFC
Unfortunately this has continued into this season even with his "own team".

After performances so far, result aside, surely it is obvious he should go sooner rather than later. The pure insistence to persevere with a clearly out of form Jamie Reid is in my book reason enough.

I'm not a fan of dispensing of managers so soon in a season, or not giving them enough time to build their own philosophy, but I really can't see this ending positively and I would welcome any opinions on the contrary as I believe any optimistic views on the current situation are tenuous at best.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

That's exactly what I've been saying. I spoke to a few contacts about him and all the feedback is plainly on show when you watch his teams play. Where has he ever been successful?

Last season was blamed on the previous managers recruitment. Well ok even if I disagree let's compare the team spirit. Where is it? Where was it last season? Where are the tactics? Why is the selection and formation so disjointed? We're not playing to our players strengths and it's so bloody obvious. I don't know how much more evidence people need. We're in the **** National League South.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 20:45 That's exactly what I've been saying. I spoke to a few contacts about him and all the feedback is plainly on show when you watch his teams play. Where has he ever been successful?

Last season was blamed on the previous managers recruitment. Well ok even if I disagree let's compare the team spirit. Where is it? Where was it last season? Where are the tactics? Why is the selection and formation so disjointed? We're not playing to our players strengths and it's so bloody obvious. I don't know how much more evidence people need. We're in the **** National League South.
Oh, come on SouthamptonGull, at least "We're not rubbish anymore".
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Honestly I’m for one who wants him gone guy reality is he is so comfortable in his job, not worried at all. The reality is they’ve fully backed him. It would be interested if we could speak to someone from the board. Never going to happen.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Has Osborne been at any of the games this season? It feels there is no direct accountability from the top. When I was a kid Mike Bateson would always be in the stands and would even come on the pitch to address the supporters.

I feel that fans are so remote from the problem now which stems from right at the top. No word from Osborne, nothing from Harrop and we’re left in the quicksand.

I’ve lost total confidence in the club under the current ownership and management.

Even in the unlikely event of Owers leaving or getting the sack, were just not set up to win off the pitch and i’d fear another 4 week plus gap without a manager! It’s despicable.

I don’t know what we can do to have a voice in the matter.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Forest gull »

Gary Johnson is out of work. He would be better than this tosser. Then again who wouldn’t?

Resign Owers. Now.
Jamie Ndah Is God
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jamie Ndah

Post by Jamie Ndah Is God »

My worry is, and it's probably been said before by someone on here, that it took the owners so long to appoint him after KN was sacked (plus their comments on appointing him about what a top manager he is and has all these contacts blah blah blah) that they will take equally long to get rid of him, if they do at all. I really hope I'm proved wrong but I just can't see them sacking Owers as it would prove that they were wrong to appoint him in the first place even though it's blindingly obvious to us fans that the manager simply isn't up to task and not the man to get TUFC upwardly mobile and competing to get back into the Football League. His post match interviews are so depressing; I can imagine him sitting on a park bench swigging from a bottle in a brown paper bag
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

It is 6 months since I last posted on here after pointing out the grave shortcomings of Gary Owers and how I was certain that would take us out of the National League, which it eventually did. I think supporters have to be very realistic here now and just try and understand the level of football we are now in. We really should be running away at the top of the table of this League we are in as the standard is so very poor. We are not however. Further more, we are sinking into the lower echelons of the division and if we are not careful we will spiral out of control and out of this division too. And that really would be the end of Torquay United Football Club. For Gods sake, just a couple of seasons ago we were in the Football League Second Division!
The buck really has to stop with Gary Owers. I commented last season that I did not believe he had anything like the tactical know how to get us up the table and furthermore I felt his lack of ability as a coach would get us relegated. Several on here laughed then, but they are not laughing now. I also said I believed a certain Kevin Millard would be the ideal man for the job, and again several on here shouted me down, stating that he had no experience of English lower level football and so would not be able to cope. Some even suggested he would make a good scout for Gary Owers. This was an insult to a man who has coached professionally in Costa Rica and Argentina at a high level. Lest we forget, his club Lambada, who he owned and managed and coached, transferred both Greg Goodridge and Rodney Jack to Torquay in the mid 1990's. He didn't discover them as a scout - he developed them as a coach and manager! For those who criticised me last season for suggesting Millard would be the answer, I suggest they look at the Spanish La Liga and read about the same Millard's exploits as MANAGER of FC Cartagena in the Spanish Second Division. Playing, and defeating teams like Real Sociedad and Getafe in the Spanish Cup. He sent a letter into Torquay FC enquiring about any position being available 18 months ago and apparently did not even get the courtesy of a reply from Harrop etc. But, never mind, we have Owers and we can see the outstanding job he is doing can't we?
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Get Nicho back ffs. Oh wait.... most on here think he’s crap. At least he created a team that were energised and creative, and without a budget! We wouldn’t be where we are now if he was still here! That’s a fact.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

notnow wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 06:26 Get Nicho back ffs. Oh wait.... most on here think he’s crap. At least he created a team that were energised and creative, and without a budget! We wouldn’t be where we are now if he was still here! That’s a fact.
Completely agree notnow :goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've backed Nicholson as most people know but let's get real. He stood up to Harrop and Osborne so is the last man they'll even look at and totally right in my opinion. Going back just doesn't work. Take a look at the managers we're coming up against every week. Hungry, confident and tactically astute, just what we need. There's an ideal candidate out there somewhere but being Torquay United it'll be Harrop or even worse the newly appointed assistant.

Cheap option because that's what Osborne does.
Dave

gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Owers wasn’t good enough to keep us in the National League so why should he be able to get us promoted out of NLS?

There were rumours of him being reported to the FA last season for bullying and reports of him hectoring and haranguing the players from the dugout from supporters in the Bench. Is it surprising that the players don’t want to play for him?

However, I think the root of the problem goes back and up to those who appointed him (particularly Harrop) and the way he was appointed after the sacking of Nicho (who had kept us up!). After 4 desperate weeks without a manager he was paraded as the answer to our problems. I agree with other posters that unfortunately I don’t think Harrop etc have it in them to admit their mistake and get rid of him even though it’s patently obvious.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

While Owers is taking the flak Harrop is rubbing his hands together. He's the **** that appointed him, he's the **** that persisted with him when it became obvious to some of us that he wasn't the answer and he's the **** that will take over team affairs if Owers does go.

Harrop is to blame!!
Dave