Assistant manager?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Great posting from gullintwoplaces.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:30 God, if some of these players were actually bullied they'd die of shock. A few random comments from spectators or on a forum is NOT bullying.
If it was only a few random comments in a forum though, Dave. I’ve seen some horrific comments about Jamie on Facebook, some even bringing his mum into it, and to my mind this has been a form of bullying from some cowardly figures who wouldn’t say the same to his face unless they had their mates there.

I find it sad really. Jamie grew up supporting the club and dreamt of being a professional whilst living in the vicinity of Plainmoor. He may make the occasional wrong decision on the field but then who out of us wouldn’t when everything you do is under scrutiny, knowing any mistake will immediately be met by groans and moans?

If Jamie Reid was encouraged he would more likely be a more effective player for Torquay than someone who is harassed and moaned at by those he once stood amongst.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Spot on Hector.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

JR has made the decision to walk down the tunnel in order to avoid negative comments. These negative comments are consistent with his poor performances.

When he decides to man up and take the flak perhaps this might encourage him to put in the extra work required on and off the pitch.

A good old “shape up or ship out” message is required as I’m getting rather tired of watching the same old mistakes and failings.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 11:08 If it was only a few random comments in a forum though, Dave. I’ve seen some horrific comments about Jamie on Facebook, some even bringing his mum into it, and to my mind this has been a form of bullying from some cowardly figures who wouldn’t say the same to his face unless they had their mates there.

I find it sad really. Jamie grew up supporting the club and dreamt of being a professional whilst living in the vicinity of Plainmoor. He may make the occasional wrong decision on the field but then who out of us wouldn’t when everything you do is under scrutiny, knowing any mistake will immediately be met by groans and moans?

If Jamie Reid was encouraged he would more likely be a more effective player for Torquay than someone who is harassed and moaned at by those he once stood amongst.
I've not seen the comments you refer to on Facebook so obviously wasn't commenting on that. I still stand by my comment because in the world of football if you can't take a bit of abuse from fans at a game then you should try another sport. I'm not saying it's right and I've never felt the need to berate any of our players at a game. I've always liked the effort Reid puts in and I'm sure with the right people guiding him he can still have a good career, nobody could ever doubt the effort he puts in, Williams is an obvious example of someone that could learn from Reids work ethic.

Quite ironic that brucie of all people is trying to hold the moral high ground with the insults he likes to dish out on here, another of those examples that would be silent face to face ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

kevgull wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 12:10 JR has made the decision to walk down the tunnel in order to avoid negative comments. These negative comments are consistent with his poor performances.

When he decides to man up and take the flak perhaps this might encourage him to put in the extra work required on and off the pitch.

A good old “shape up or ship out” message is required as I’m getting rather tired of watching the same old mistakes and failings.
I don't think it's a question of him needing to man up. I think he is doing the right thing, he knows he isn't playing well so why deliberately walk into a confrontational situation, he's using good common sense and I'm with him 100%. Others could learn from him, he's on a poor run of form but still puts in a shift for the cause, admirable in my opinion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

For a club in Conference South we got allot of management :)
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Lets hope ALL these managers etc can work out a winning team in this league
TUST MEMBER
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Neal wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 12:36 For a club in Conference South we got [sh]allot of management :)
Just a pity none of them seem to know their onions.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Bullying is not acceptable or tolerable in any form - I'm sorry to hear that JR has been a victim of this. I've not personally witnessed anything I would deem bullying at the games I've been to this season or last but that is not me saying it doesn't happen. However, the expression of dissatisfaction and frustration does not amount to bullying, especially in professional sport where you perform in front of an audience and I do believe that whilst they expressions of dissatisfaction are undoubtedly uncomfortable (I experience this in my own profession), the truth is within it is an opportunity to learn and grow. Regrettably I don' think we are seeing this. If JR was scoring goals and putting in performances worthy of a 1st team selection the criticism would rapidly turn to praise. It is down to him and the support team to create that and a true professional will step up and make that happen and I hope for our sake that he does!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 15:34 [highlight=yellow]If JR was scoring goals and putting in performances worthy of a 1st team selection the criticism would rapidly turn to praise.[/highlight] It is down to him and the support team to create that and a true professional will step up and make that happen and I hope for our sake that he does!
Jamie is a local boy wanting to make good. A TUFC fan who runs and runs out there for the cause. Definitely not deserving of the kind of bullying described above.

But JR is just not the calibre of player we need in the team. It’s not just the “occasional wrong decision” Hector describes, it’s more intrinsic than that.

He’s had long enough to prove himself and has just not managed it. Sorry Jamie.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

As mentioned above Shaun Taylor has worked as Owers assistant before - during a less than sparkling spell at Forest Green Rovers. Interestingly the date of their departure from FGR was 27th August.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

hector wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 21:18 I don’t have an issue with Taylor being the assistant manager (although I would if he was made caretaker again).

As for Owers; I’ve not been a fan of his at all and last season would gladly have packed his bags myself if it meant he left. He hasn’t got a very good record as a manager before and after joining Torquay.

However, I think the majority of his recruitment, this season, has been fairly solid. The start isn’t brilliant but it could have been worse and I think the club could do without the upheaval of sacking and looking for a new manager, so I’m hopeful that he can slowly build on this solid but unspectacular start and get us moving in the right direction.

Furthermore, the incident at Slough, I think is one that annoyed even the most ardent of anti-Owers supporters because you simply don’t try and humiliate people like that. The image of Owers looking naturally angry and hurt wasn’t nice to see so I hope the atmosphere is less toxic in Saturday when we ought to win.

If after 10 or so games we are falling away from the play-offs then I hope he goes but in the meantime, as supporters, our energies are probably better served encouraging the team and the manager and stopping the witch hunt and - in some cases - bullying of certain players.
Maybe this is the wake up call he needs. Regrettably managers in football come and go. But now we are in conf south the interaction between supporters and staff is very closer as there are no (or very limited) stewards. Basically Owers needs to know what we think, and it's not good enough. As for Reid he always tries, which is frustrating as the other players don't. But his ability against trying is exposed.
Lucy